Notices
928 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: 928 Specialists

928 vs 308 driving impressions

 
Old 09-08-2010, 08:54 PM
  #46  
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
worf928's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New England
Posts: 11,984
Default

Originally Posted by bwmac View Post
Ask him if he is related to any of the Chamberlins in Canada
Nope. I spell my name using The Queen's English....
worf928 is online now  
Old 09-08-2010, 09:33 PM
  #47  
Kevin Michael
Rocket Pilot
Rennlist Member
 
Kevin Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: gettysburg pa.
Posts: 3,298
Default

Great thread for sure. While we are talking about the icons, I just bought a 76 turbo carrera(1 of 530 made) as the price was just too good. I will say this car will spank any S4 or GTS without issue. Of course there are a few mods. I love the 308 and I wouldn't care if they had 50 HP. I never bought one because I'd be afraid to break it.
Kevin Michael is offline  
Old 09-08-2010, 09:38 PM
  #48  
GregBBRD

Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

 
GregBBRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Anaheim
Posts: 9,667
Default

I'm working on an '85 308 for a customer....first one I've ever worked on. Pretty simple to work on...nothing very exotic. The 914-6 rear brake calipers seem very small, for the weight of the car.

The only other thing that I find humorous is the "kit-car" feeling I get while looking around under the thing. The complete lack of consistancy of the hardware makes me nuts. Four motor mount bolts...three different types.

I couldn't own one. It is way too small, for me, and I'm just over 6'. The 928 has way more driver room.
__________________
greg brown




714 879 9072
[email protected]

There's always different ways to do a particular job.

The trick, in life, is to know which of those ways are stupid....
GregBBRD is offline  
Old 09-08-2010, 10:22 PM
  #49  
Kevin Michael
Rocket Pilot
Rennlist Member
 
Kevin Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: gettysburg pa.
Posts: 3,298
Default

Greg maybe a stroked 308? lol
Kevin Michael is offline  
Old 09-08-2010, 10:25 PM
  #50  
James Bailey
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
James Bailey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 18,055
Default

I did not fit well in my son in laws 308.....drove it only three or four blocks.. After I hot wired the engine since he bought it not running and with no key There was no magic ..... He did make good money selling it however. It really compares to a 914 six same unrealistic cult following...but then again I never bothered to drive my son in laws Testarossa. I think Enzo once said the ONLY reason he made road cars was to be able to make race cars ! And yes the best description is "kit car" the first few 308 were even fiberglass (which did weigh less ). I once asked a TR owner if he wanted to race my little 68 911 with the 2.8 RSR style engine.....he wisely declined
James Bailey is offline  
Old 09-08-2010, 11:18 PM
  #51  
Dino944
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Dino944's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 2,371
Default

Originally Posted by William A View Post
The great thing about the 308, and most "vintage" Fcars for that matter, is how they inspire. But they are occasion cars. The 928 is as forgiving as the 308 is not. The 928 so capable in multiple uses, and the 308 is a compromise in all but spirited driving settings.

As an aside, I corner balanced my BBi and it weighed 3,468lbs. (IIRC, well less than 3,500) with 3/4 tank of fuel (120 liter capacity), so I don't believe that a 308 is a 3,400lb car. More like 3,200 or so. Although my BBi is a grey market conversion that is mostly Euro spec save for the DOT reinforcing bars in the doors. It could be the DOT required equipment weighed several hundred more pounds than the Euro spec 308's.

I believe the 308/328 are a little over 3,200lbs.

Your description of a 308 as a compromise is a great way of describing the 308. They are a fun car to drive on winding roads, in good weather, after getting used to the odd driving position. Its got seductive looks, a wonderful sound, and the lore of being a Ferrari. I think the only Porsche that really comes close to being similar in terms of performance in a compromised package is the 930.

The 928 is far more refined, has better AC, its comfortable and it makes a great long distance cruiser, and it could be driven everyday.

While there are some Ferrari owners that drive their cars everyday, several that I know, say they love their Ferraris, but they are work to drive and require too much effort to drive everyday...which is why many have other daily drivers that they can just turn the key and go without any thought or effort.

The 308 and 928 just were not designed with the same purpose, but each is great in its own way.
Dino944 is offline  
Old 09-09-2010, 12:00 AM
  #52  
shmark
Super User
Thread Starter
 
shmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,235
Default

Originally Posted by RyanPerrella View Post
And why the f*** do you take such offense to a contrary opinion? Grow up
This is why I love you man, always such witty prose and such a positive influence around here!

FWIW I did a little digging on weights and the early 'glass 308s run around 2900lbs up to a US GTS QV at about 3300lbs. Mine happens to be a euro GTB QV and similar cars have been weighed under 3000lbs without a driver, fully loaded with fuel. With 250hp it's faster than my 928, no doubt about that, and the p/w ratio will allow it to hang with an S4 easily. 300hp in a 308 is very difficult and expensive to get to without stroking or forced induction, because the engines are built pretty close to the limit from the factory, unlike the 928 which has considerable improvement available.

At 6'1 and 200lbs I fit very well in both cars, but the driving position is definitely different. The 308 is more reclined and the seats are thin shells compared to the wonderfully comfortable 928 seats. Call me part of the unrealistic cult, but it's a fabulous car that felt totally natural to me from the first turn of the wheel, no learning curve at all. Total blast to drive.

It is interesting that even in my 928 which is clearly not faster, I have to go faster to get the same excitement. It's so relaxed at 100mph while the 308 is frantic at 60. Of course the 928 is also louder so it sounds badass while getting romped by a vtec.
shmark is offline  
Old 09-09-2010, 12:05 AM
  #53  
shmark
Super User
Thread Starter
 
shmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,235
Default

Oh and FWIW I would drive the 308 every day if I could. But I can't stand the thought of leaving it in a parking deck in downtown Atlanta, no way in hell, and the clutch is a bear in traffic. So I drive the 928 instead and enjoy the refinement, the sub-zero a/c and the badass V8 echoing off the concrete.
shmark is offline  
Old 09-09-2010, 12:09 AM
  #54  
928mac
Super User
 
928mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,637
Default

Originally Posted by Marine Blue View Post
There in lies the problem. Fast enough in a 928 is 100+ on a straight road. Harder turns need to be double the posted limit to make them interesting. Up until now I have always been awestruck by the super high performance cars but the reality is that I would never be able to enjoy them the way they are meant to be enjoyed unless I took them to the track. Judging by many of the replies here I'm gathering that others also feel this way.
I can vouch for the fast turns. On our holidays when we took (cleopatra) through the Banff mountains to BC and back through Jasper, the posted 80k corners we were entering at 150k and exiting around 170k. it was a real blast.
To bad I wore the back tires off in the 4000k trip.
928mac is offline  
Old 09-09-2010, 12:11 AM
  #55  
RyanPerrella
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
RyanPerrella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Beverly Hills, CA
Posts: 8,929
Default

Originally Posted by shmark View Post
This is why I love you man, always such witty prose and such a positive influence around here!

FWIW I did a little digging on weights and the early 'glass 308s run around 2900lbs up to a US GTS QV at about 3300lbs. Mine happens to be a euro GTB QV and similar cars have been weighed under 3000lbs without a driver, fully loaded with fuel. With 250hp it's faster than my 928, no doubt about that, and the p/w ratio will allow it to hang with an S4 easily. 300hp in a 308 is very difficult and expensive to get to without stroking or forced induction, because the engines are built pretty close to the limit from the factory, unlike the 928 which has considerable improvement available.

At 6'1 and 200lbs I fit very well in both cars, but the driving position is definitely different. The 308 is more reclined and the seats are thin shells compared to the wonderfully comfortable 928 seats. Call me part of the unrealistic cult, but it's a fabulous car that felt totally natural to me from the first turn of the wheel, no learning curve at all. Total blast to drive.

It is interesting that even in my 928 which is clearly not faster, I have to go faster to get the same excitement. It's so relaxed at 100mph while the 308 is frantic at 60. Of course the 928 is also louder so it sounds badass while getting romped by a vtec.
Mark

Hierin lies the problem

were both comparing 308 to 928

But im comparing a 200+ HP, 3300lb 308 to a 330+ HP, 3400lb 928 GT

And your comparing a 250+ HP, 2900lb 308 to a 240HP, 3300lb 928

I think we can see where the differing opinions come from. Were both looking at a 308 v 928 but 4 different cars
RyanPerrella is offline  
Old 09-09-2010, 12:29 AM
  #56  
shmark
Super User
Thread Starter
 
shmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,235
Default

Originally Posted by RyanPerrella View Post
Mark

Hierin lies the problem

were both comparing 308 to 928

But im comparing a 200+ HP, 3300lb 308 to a 330+ HP, 3400lb 928 GT

And your comparing a 250+ HP, 2900lb 308 to a 240HP, 3300lb 928

I think we can see where the differing opinions come from. Were both looking at a 308 v 928 but 4 different cars
True, but those are the cars I have available to me. I did mention to Afshin that his GT would outrun my 308 on a power track, but a shorter handling track would be very interesting. The US GTSi is the heaviest, lowest hp 308 and it's a flexi-flyer with cowl shake and vibrations. I'll bet money if you drove a euro GTB you'd change your mind. It's a completely different car.
shmark is offline  
Old 09-09-2010, 02:55 AM
  #57  
redpathtribe
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
redpathtribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 882
Default

Since weight questions keep coming up, and I should have put this in my post, but I got tired of typing...

Also BTW, even though this was from the '84 R&T S&GT Guide, I'm pretty sure both are '83 models.


928S - curb weight - 3365 lbs., test weight - 3520 lbs.
308qv - curb weight - 3250 lbs., test weight - 3440 lbs.


Don't remember exactly how they measured the difference, but that should make everyone feel better...
redpathtribe is offline  
Old 09-09-2010, 08:33 AM
  #58  
Kevin Michael
Rocket Pilot
Rennlist Member
 
Kevin Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: gettysburg pa.
Posts: 3,298
Default

Originally Posted by shmark View Post
True, but those are the cars I have available to me. I did mention to Afshin that his GT would outrun my 308 on a power track, but a shorter handling track would be very interesting. The US GTSi is the heaviest, lowest hp 308 and it's a flexi-flyer with cowl shake and vibrations. I'll bet money if you drove a euro GTB you'd change your mind. It's a completely different car.
Mark, I wish we lived a bit closer, we would have fun comparing all these cars. I have at the shop right now a 1976 930, a 1990GT, an 87 s4 5 spd., An 84 auto, a 3.2 cab 911. I am sure adding your Ferrari to the mix would be interesting for sure. The 87 S4 5spd feels faster and more aggressive than the GT.
Kevin Michael is offline  
Old 09-09-2010, 09:35 AM
  #59  
shmark
Super User
Thread Starter
 
shmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,235
Default

Originally Posted by Kevin Michael View Post
Mark, I wish we lived a bit closer, we would have fun comparing all these cars. I have at the shop right now a 1976 930, a 1990GT, an 87 s4 5 spd., An 84 auto, a 3.2 cab 911. I am sure adding your Ferrari to the mix would be interesting for sure. The 87 S4 5spd feels faster and more aggressive than the GT.
No doubt, a 930 is definitely on my wish list. I've driven them a few times and loved it every time...nothing..nothing....nothing...WHAM! If I still had my other cars we could throw in a modified 951, a '79SC and a turbo 914 2.0. Damn I need a bigger garage.
shmark is offline  
Old 09-09-2010, 05:26 PM
  #60  
RyanPerrella
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
RyanPerrella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Beverly Hills, CA
Posts: 8,929
Default

Originally Posted by shmark View Post
True, but those are the cars I have available to me. I did mention to Afshin that his GT would outrun my 308 on a power track, but a shorter handling track would be very interesting. The US GTSi is the heaviest, lowest hp 308 and it's a flexi-flyer with cowl shake and vibrations. I'll bet money if you drove a euro GTB you'd change your mind. It's a completely different car.
If you had to guess, how many Euro 308's are there in the states?

What was worldwide production for the 308?
RyanPerrella is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 928 vs 308 driving impressions


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: