Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   clutch lubricants, flywheel surface, slave cylinder (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/582278-clutch-lubricants-flywheel-surface-slave-cylinder.html)

vze2jshn 07-29-2010 10:22 PM

clutch lubricants, flywheel surface, slave cylinder

Sitting at traffic light with car in neutral I heard a screeching sound, so I depressed clutch to shift into 1st and pedal went to the floor ( '78 ). Clutch is out- pain in the ass job with MSDS headers- found thrust washer had snapped off release (throw out) bearing. Wondering what kind of lubricants to use WSM stuff seems hard to find.
Also took flywheel off - no scoring -cleaned up with mineral spirits and emery cloth, looks good. Is this good enough or should a machine shop clean it up?
Notice a a little oil from rear seal which has over 100,000 miles on it. Should I replace seal or leave good enough alone?
Clutch slave cylinder seems OK, but I have a new one I travel with, do they have decent shelf lives? Considering repacing slave cylinder with the unused one. Is there a kit to refurbish current one on car which has about 100,000 miles on it so I can carry it in the future? Any comments greatly appreciated. Best, Greg Heinrichs

GregBBRD 07-29-2010 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by vze2jshn (Post 7774779)
Sitting at traffic light with car in neutral I heard a screeching sound, so I depressed clutch to shift into 1st and pedal went to the floor ( '78 ). Clutch is out- pain in the ass job with MSDS headers- found thrust washer had snapped off release (throw out) bearing. Wondering what kind of lubricants to use WSM stuff seems hard to find.
Also took flywheel off - no scoring -cleaned up with mineral spirits and emery cloth, looks good. Is this good enough or should a machine shop clean it up?
Notice a a little oil from rear seal which has over 100,000 miles on it. Should I replace seal or leave good enough alone?
Clutch slave cylinder seems OK, but I have a new one I travel with, do they have decent shelf lives? Considering repacing slave cylinder with the unused one. Is there a kit to refurbish current one on car which has about 100,000 miles on it so I can carry it in the future? Any comments greatly appreciated. Best, Greg Heinrichs

If you need part numbers for factory lubricants, I ahve them. I only use the factory stuff for certain things...like most everything.

If the flywheel looks good, leave it alone.

If the flywheel is off and there is any chance the rear seal is leaking...replace it.

If the flywheel is on and there is any change the seal is leaking...replace it.

If the clutch slave doesn't leak...leave it alone. Your space should have at least a ten year shelf life.

vze2jshn 07-29-2010 10:53 PM

Parts numbers would be helpful. Thanks.

blown 87 07-29-2010 11:07 PM

I would also be interested in what part numbers you use in what applications also.