Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   NEW MEMBER QUESTION 944TURBO OR 928? (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/577787-new-member-question-944turbo-or-928-a.html)

norcoastal 07-04-2010 02:30 PM

NEW MEMBER QUESTION 944TURBO OR 928?

I have owner a 1986 944 Turbo and a Boxster.

I have 3 kids who drive and I just need a car for me to go to the train station and have some fun on the weekends.

I want either a 928 or a 944 Turbo.

I know I can't go wrong with either, but what are your thoughts between the two?

I've never had a 928 but I love the looks and 8 cylinder performance.

Thoughts???

Landseer 07-04-2010 02:50 PM

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...e-928-a-2.html

Search, lots more comparisons.

Both are old cars. Lots of opportunity for maintenance, some major. Big money to buy a reliable commuter and weekend fun car this age. Can be done.

cold_beer839 07-04-2010 03:25 PM

Either will be fun. But we like 928's here.

Ispeed 07-04-2010 03:35 PM

As you get older, the torque and girth of a 928 are more appreciated. I vote V8 rumble...

norcoastal 07-04-2010 05:34 PM

I think i agree.

I've been researching a lot.

I want a 1987 or later (prefer 1989 because of the digital instrument panel).

I'm not sure if I want a manual or automatic. I hear the manuals have clutch problems.

Color??? Red...Black???

pcar928fan 07-04-2010 05:43 PM

I have always said if you want a 928 and can only own ONE (I can't imagine that personally, but I digress) AND you can't afford a GTS, then the '89 is the car to get... As noted no airbags digital dash (blessing and a curse there). Red and black should be VERY easy to find. Black will be REALLY HOT if you live in the south (but it looks like you live north based on your user name).

I like the Turbo's too...but there is something about the low end Tq of a 928 that makes it very satisfying to drive. You can track them in stock form w/o issues and you will rarely want for more power in an S4 or newer model.

If you can't find a nice '89, then '88, then '87 would be good bets on a value vs. price ratio.

That is just me talking though...what do I know! ;)

Bill Ball 07-04-2010 06:59 PM

Color? White! No one notices you and you get to do whatever you want.

pcar928fan 07-04-2010 07:18 PM

Bill,

I am not sure I would go THAT far! I did get a ticket in my white GTS once...maybe twice even! In both cases for only a few over too...good thing I had slowed down! LOL!

jcorenman 07-05-2010 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by norcoastal (Post 7709488)
I'm not sure if I want a manual or automatic. I hear the manuals have clutch problems.

Clutches are not a particular problem, just harder to find than automatics. If buying an automatic you need to include a check for the crank end-play in the PPI (lots of info if you search here), the flexplate can get preloaded which can wreck the engine thrust-bearing. I think it is a small percentage, but a large problem if it happens.

The service life of the clutch seems long enough (65k for our '88) and is relatively easy to work on, everything drops out the bottom of the bellhousing (including flywheel if needed).

Good hunting!
:cheers:

Landseer 07-05-2010 10:51 AM

After being involved in this hobby daily for the last 3 years, I've concluded I would not seal a deal on any S3 or S4 or GTS automatic without verifying the crankshaft endplay ( exception if it was low dollar and I knew the part-out value would at least cover recouping the purchase price). In fact, due to possible removal and omission of the circlip system from 84 and earlier cars during maintenance over the years, I'd check them too.

Its unclear who outside of rennlisters, professional Porsche mechanics and dealerships included, knows and respects the endplay / flexplate situation. All three preventative solutions were born on rennlist (loctite ; Porken clamp; Constantine Superclamp).

As the cars age, those which have not had flexplate tension release over the years are suspect. I think thats a high percentage of them.

And, even if they have had tension release, and show flat flexplates, there is the chance that the car is being unloaded with the issue masked. I even saw a rennlister the other day advise somebody they should consider unloading a suspected TBF car without disclosure. Surprising.

If spending money for a runner, then I'd spend the extra money to have a mechanic unbolt the exhaust pipes, remove the lower bell housing cover, remove the pinch bolt, and measure the crankshaft endplay. If a seller is not willing to participate in that inspection, at least facilitate it, then its no-deal. That's where I am on it, at least.

norcoastal 07-05-2010 01:00 PM

Thanks guy's. I stumbled upon this site through a forum search. For the past 3 years I have been restoring a 1968 Camaro RS so I'm familiar with forums and how valuable they are .

Again, thanks for the advice.

So based on what you're saying, a manual transmission would be fine, actually better. I'd prefer a manual but I heard the clutch thing is a problem, if that's not the case I'm glad.

So this is where I am:

1989 S4 with a manual transmission, prefer red or black (but i'll look at any color).

One more question? Can you tell me about mileage? Most cars I am looking at have around 99,000 to 125,000. How long do these cars go?

I'm not in a hurry to getr a car tomorrow, so I want to take my time and get the right one.

There is actually a lot on ebay and Autotrader. Do you think I can get what I want for $10-15,000?

Bill Ball 07-05-2010 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by norcoastal (Post 7710631)
Thanks guy's. I stumbled upon this site through a forum search. For the past 3 years I have been restoring a 1968 Camaro RS so I'm familiar with forums and how valuable they are .

Again, thanks for the advice.

So based on what you're saying, a manual transmission would be fine, actually better. I'd prefer a manual but I heard the clutch thing is a problem, if that's not the case I'm glad.

So this is where I am:

1989 S4 with a manual transmission, prefer red or black (but i'll look at any color).

One more question? Can you tell me about mileage? Most cars I am looking at have around 99,000 to 125,000. How long do these cars go?

I'm not in a hurry to get a car tomorrow, so I want to take my time and get the right one.

There is actually a lot on ebay and Autotrader. Do you think I can get what I want for $10-15,000?

Clutch service in the 928 is rather easy. Unbolt it and it literally falls out in one piece. I understand that's not so for the 944.

An 89 S4 manual any color is a rare bird. Automatics are commonly looked down upon in a sports car, but I will just say the 4-speed Mercedes AT in the 928 is awfully good. If you leave it in D the car is docile and easy to drive with one foot and hand. If you row the shifter the car comes to life, and the tranny is essentially bullet-proof. I beat the living crap out of mine and it is still fine at 219K miles with just regular fluid/filter changes at 30K mile intervals.

And as to "how far do these cars go?", a well-cared for (regular maintenance) 928 is good for at least 250-300K before anything like a rebuild. There are "wear items" that don't make it past 100K, like torque tube bearings (although mine are still original), steering racks, suspension parts, water pump, and the timing belt system needs service every 60K miles.

eBay is an excellent place to browse 928s. I followed auctions closely for 6 months then bought mine there 10 years ago from the original owner and have lived happily ever since. I paid $16k 10 years ago for a showroom quality 72K mile 89. For $10-15K today you should be able to get a very nice one. Take your time and get the best one you can find. I went for cosmetics, complete service history and mechanical soundness over color and options.

bronto 07-05-2010 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by norcoastal (Post 7709488)

Color??? Red...Black???

If I had it to do over again, didn't need a driver immediately and could take my time, I'd probably hold out for a unique color. Not a particular one in mind, just open to any of the truly gorgeous uncommon colors Porsche put on some of these. I really like my silver, great for a daily driver and doesn't show dirt, but man, petrol blue? Wow.

Shark Attack 07-05-2010 03:48 PM

Yeah.. You need to go ask this question in OT.. Asking in the 928 forum most are going to say a 928...

However:
A 928 is a love for the car project, parts are getting harder to find and they are getting more rare.. If you want more hands off. Something more people are willing to work on for you... You need to go with a 44.... Only buy a 928 if you understand what a 928 is, Where it came from and you really love it...

GregBBRD 07-05-2010 04:13 PM

944 Turbo or 928?

I personally think that if you need to ask this question, you should buy a 944 Turbo.