Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   WTB: Britax Starriser - Child seat (No longer needed) (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/577324-wtb-britax-starriser-child-seat-no-longer-needed.html)

Jadz928 07-01-2010 04:32 PM

WTB: Britax Starriser - Child seat (No longer needed)

1 Attachment(s)
EDIT: Ended up going with Sunshine Kids Radian65

Man, having a hard time find a car seat that will fit the rear of my 928.

Anyone have a Britax Starriser lying around just needing a home?

Word on the street is it fits well. Seems narrow enough.

No need for suggestion because I am trying everything currently on the market. Thanks.

Stromius 07-01-2010 05:55 PM

Got an extra. How about $40 + shipping?

Hold On 07-01-2010 06:45 PM

Stefan, If he doesn`t want it ,I will take it. I have lots of small grandchildren who love pop-pops car. lol

Manfred 07-01-2010 10:05 PM

Not to get in the way of a free-market but I am going through this myself. I'm not sure I'm a big believer in this but car seats are apparently supposed to be retired after 5 years of service 'cause the plastic gets old and brittle. Since the Starrisers haven't been made in over five years then technically they shouldn't be used anymore. That said, so long as you don't tell your wife, you're probably fine--in my case my wife was all over me ('cause I would've posted a WTB Starriser post a couple of weeks ago otherwise).

Anyway, Currently sitting in the back of my car is a Recaro Vivo High Back Booster. The fit is better than anything else I've tried. It does actually fit quite nicely and securely but the fit is ultra-snug--it creates a problem because it pinches the belt between the side and where it returns so it's tough getting the belt to retract. My daughter's used it once but I'm thinking of sending it back--still it workable and nothing else I have tried is.

I'm going to order a safety harness which is legal (child over 40lbs) and apparently very safe but I haven't seen any independent tests. I think the main shortcoming is that it offers no side impact protection. In the 928 I still worry that where the seat belt buckles is in front of the kid so it might hold the seat belt off the kid's waist--in any case, I figure it's worth checking out. You can find it here: http://www.safetrafficsystem.com/

If you're patient I can give it a try and get back to people--it might be just what we all of us with children need for our 928s. My wife and daughter are in Canada for a couple of weeks--won't be back 'till July 18th so you'll have to wait for a while to get an update...

Want to be 07-01-2010 11:50 PM

Recaro Vivo High Back Booster, where are these sold besides on-line?

ACG 07-02-2010 01:11 AM

Fyi, the Britax Starriser is also known as the Fisher Price Safe Voyage Booster. Here are some pics and postings about the seat:

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...ster-seat.html

Stromius 07-02-2010 02:02 AM

Jim let me know by tomorrow please. I'm on vacation for few weeks after then. Otherwise Hold On, you've got it. Paypal me at sdamstrom at hotmail. Will verify shipping at the ups store. Shouldn't be too bad as the back comes off and pack pretty well.

Manfred 07-02-2010 09:52 AM

Recaro Vivo High Back Booster, where are these sold besides on-line?
I think online only; my wife ordered it--I believe from Amazon. I can take a picture when I get home from work (which might be pretty late tonight) so you can see how it fits.

Manfred 07-02-2010 09:55 AM

the Britax Starriser is also known as the Fisher Price Safe Voyage Booster
Looks like it 's currently unavailable--at least I couldn't find one online anywhere. Not sure when it went out of production but maybe could pick a new one up off of ebay or something.

Marine Blue 07-02-2010 09:56 AM

Baby seats are 5 years, booster seats are made of plastic and I do not believe they carry a lifespan.

I also use the Starriser, fits perfectly in the back of the 928. Note that the you really want some type of a shoulder harness if your car doesn't include one. I'm not sure if anyone has found solution on the 87 and older 928's.

Manfred 07-02-2010 10:12 AM

Baby seats are 5 years, booster seats are made of plastic and I do not believe they carry a lifespan
Weird--so what's the reason that baby seats have a lifespan? I thought it was from the plastic becoming old and brittle? Aren't baby seats and booster seats both made from plastic?

Note that the you really want some type of a shoulder harness if your car doesn't include one
Good point--I have a shoulder harness system in mine but the older cars just have the lap belts--I think there is some sort of threaded area designed to receive a bolt for a latch system on the deck behind the head rests--it's in an older post--do a search. Some boosters come with high tethers so they can be used in cars with just lap belts.

Marine Blue 07-02-2010 10:16 AM

From what I've seen most baby seats have foam in them. Foam definitely deteriorates but I believe the actual lifespan is 6 years based upon my wife's research.

Stromius 07-02-2010 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Manfred (Post 7704487)
Weird--so what's the reason that baby seats have a lifespan? I thought it was from the plastic becoming old and brittle? Aren't baby seats and booster seats both made from plastic?

Good point--I have a shoulder harness system in mine but the older cars just have the lap belts--I think there is some sort of threaded area designed to receive a bolt for a latch system on the deck behind the head rests--it's in an older post--do a search. Some boosters come with high tethers so they can be used in cars with just lap belts.

Yep..just like Afshin said, foam is the piece that deteriorates over time in baby seats. The StarRiser is a booster seat with a detachable back that can be removed as your child grows. My 6 y/o still uses the base booster in all our cars.

Jadz928 07-02-2010 11:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Stefan,
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. Tried last night on my cell but failed.

Thank you for the offer but I ended up going with a new one.
I found a local store which carries a myriad of high-end car seats.

Sunshine Kids Radian65

Fits great and works up to 65 pounds as a 5-point harness.
Steel frame construction so it's build like a tank.

I'm very satisfied to find there is modern car seat option still available.

Thanks for the dialogue everyone.... wish I had more time to respond.
Happy 4th everyone! :) :)

PS I tried to fit the Recaro Vivo and found it to be less than ideal.

Manfred 07-02-2010 12:12 PM

Sunshine Kids Radian65

Fits great and works up to 65 pounds as a 5-point harness.
Steel frame construction so it's build like a tank.

I'm very satisfied to find there is modern car seat option still available.

Thanks for the dialogue everyone.... wish I had more time to respond.
Happy 4th everyone!

PS I tried to fit the Recaro Vivo and found it to be less than ideal.
That's awesome! Yeah, the Recaro fits better than anything else I've been able to try but like you said, less than ideal. But that seat you found is great! My wife is gonna love that it's a five point harness.

So how do you anchor the seat then? The seat beat goes behind the seat? Is it really snug with the seat belt receiver so far forward?