Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Radically re-designed console (Carputer, Climate, and one-touch windows) (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/563613-radically-re-designed-console-carputer-climate-and-one-touch-windows.html)

hans14914 04-22-2010 01:36 PM

Radically re-designed console (Carputer, Climate, and one-touch windows)

In an attempt to modernize the 928, I have elected to tackle revamping the console, both cosmetically and electronically. This has been done in several parts, and all will be available through our friendly dealer network shortly. The currently planned offerings are as follows:
  • In-car computer system
  • Re-designed climate control interface (with PC control functionality)
  • “Lifetime” quality one-touch window switches
  • Redesigned console insert to hold all the above items in a seamless flat face

Here are some more details for each respective element:

928 Carputer
  • 7” touchscreen monitor – available in several sunlight rejecting configurations, including a full optically bonded transflective option.
  • 8 dedicated/programmable feature buttons
  • Dedicated volume knob with push-to-mute function
  • Capacity to carry up to two 2.5” hard drives
  • Bracket will accept any standard mini-ITX motherboard
  • Mounting provisions for either M2 or M3-ATX power supplies

The system installs in a stock 928 console with no permanent modification or drilling required. The entire console can be returned back to stock at any time. All computer components are installed inside the console, and requires no remote mounting of components (with the exception of GPS and wifi antennas if required).

I am recommending Windows for the OS for compatibility with Sharktuner and Theo’s diagnostic tool. There are several existing interface options, with the leaders being Centrafuse and RideRunner. Centrafuse will be an optional pre-loaded software (should you chose not to assemble the unit yourself), but RideRunner is a fantastic “open-source” non-comercial option, that can not be preinstalled, but certainly a worthy competitor to the commercial Centrafuse offering.

Revised Climate Control Module
  • Modular design for easy customization of faceplate
  • All interface voltages can be 5v for use with optical rotary encoders (improved lifespan)
  • Can be controlled by microcontroller, or PC with appropriate software
  • 100% variable speed control with PWM module implementation (optional)
  • Discrete actuation of vent selection (all vents can be selected independently)
  • Discrete actuation of defrost option
  • Discrete actuation of recirculation option
  • AC button relocated to climate module
  • Direct plug-in using existing harness

The climate control module currently is designed for use with the new console insert, but drawings are prepared for a stock replacement version as well. This board uses the same card-edge as the factory unit, and plugs into the existing wiring. No provisions have been added at this time for the rear AC – although they have been considered and may be implemented before production. This is because there is no factory integration between the rear ac and front climate, or even any real temperature control. Proposed integration for now would be to toggle the rear AC on when MAX-COOL is selected on the front controller.

Window Switches
Several years ago, we were tempted by the option to have a modern window switch system. This system is still under development, and as not to compete directly with it, I have decided to look at this in a new way. I have identified the best switches possible for use in an automotive environment. They been successfully tested to many millions of actuations, and use a magnetic field to provide the click feedback and minimized contact wear. These will never need to be replaced (under normal operation), and will always have a consistent click, as there is no spring to wear out.
Another feature is that these can be backlit, and also for those with custom interiors, they are easily covered in leather.

I have also included a dedicated rear hatch release button to the opposite side of the wiper. Using this option will require adding a wire underneath the seat (and will obviously only work on cars with power hatch releases).

To give the switch panels their intelligence, and also not to infringe on the intellectual property of fellow rennlisters, I have chosen to recommend installing with DEI brand window modules: 530T for windows, and 529T for sunroof.

These are proven, with millions in current installation, they tie into any aftermarket alarm very easily for roll-up on arm, vent with aux button…. Etc. They also add one-touch functionality, as well as many other features. In the even that a unit would fail, it would be covered under DEI’s warranty, and require a simple plug and play swap. If out of warranty, the units are readily available on ebay for under $60 every day of the week.

Console insert
To hold the all the new components, I had to come up with a new faceplate. This new design gives a nod to the current trends in automotive design. The ashtray is removed in favor of a catch-all tray, and there are no-longer any seams in-between the various components. There are also no visible fasteners of any kind.

The frame can be covered with any laminate desired, or finished in leather, wood, or metal to suit your own personal tastes.

I have been working with Paul Champagne on this project, and he will be providing the aesthetic treatments for all the above. If you have any specific questions regarding functionality, I would be happy to answer them. For the cosmetics, please address Paul.

Many thanks,
Hans

andy-gts 04-22-2010 01:41 PM

Hans,

I like the whole idea, I have my sharktuner and lap top with me just to monitor all the time...what a great undertaking.

I will be there when it is available!!!!!!!

andy

jmrjames 04-22-2010 01:43 PM

Any photos ?

hacker-pschorr 04-22-2010 01:44 PM

Sounds awesome.

I'm starting to put together details of a similar system with a 7" screen / computer hidden away.

Please keep us posted, sounds like you are quite a few steps ahead of me. I've been surfing around this forum looking for ideas:
http://www.mp3car.com/

blown 87 04-22-2010 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by jmrjames (Post 7504728)
Any photos ?

I also want to see, sounds great.

robot808 04-22-2010 01:51 PM

this thread...

dprantl 04-22-2010 01:54 PM

I already have a 7" carputer, albeit separate from the center console, but that climate control module sounds extremely interesting. Can't wait to see pics.

Dan
'91 928GT S/C :eek: 475hp/460lb.ft

Jim M. 04-22-2010 01:58 PM

IS WORTHLESS . . .

hans14914 04-22-2010 01:59 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Calm down guys, pics coming. I wasnt planning on doing this for a couple weeks (but the other HVAC thread kind of forced me to play my hand early).

Here are some pics throughout the developement process. No, the real parts wont be white, yes, there are extra holes because acrylic is press fit in them to give all the buttons an knobs backlights.

More to come later.

Thanks
Hans

hacker-pschorr 04-22-2010 02:04 PM

That looks AWESOME!!!!!

Yup, I'm putting my project on hold, this already looks 10x's better than anything I could muster up on my own :p

AO 04-22-2010 02:07 PM

Coolio! Me likey...That's a lot of work right there.

fraggle 04-22-2010 02:27 PM

Ok my spare center console will sit on a shelf for awhile.

DonS 04-22-2010 02:31 PM

So when do you think we'll see new-fangled thingy available for the masses, Mr. Edison?

Mike Frye 04-22-2010 02:32 PM

Seriously, mine too.

Any chance of having the parts available separately as well? I need a center console piece like that (possibly with the carputer in it :)) but with no ashtray cutout so I can use that part for gauges.

rayfinkel 04-22-2010 02:36 PM

This has to be the coolest mod I have seen! look foward to seeing it finished! The ac and the electronics are such an outdated system in my opnion.
I have been trying to do the same thing you are doing for about 2 years but I have to say it is no easy feet. Getting everything to blend in and intigrated properly is tough. You look like you know what your doing. The one thing though is the price. Once people see that they are going to choke. I already bought a screen and the motherboard and all associated electronics and spent over 2 grand. and then your ac mod and for you to make a profit.
I say don't go cheep and do it right. It will make the 928 look so nice!

Count me in on this kit.

Allen T.

89 hybrid 5 speed