Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Exhaust pipe material (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/550645-exhaust-pipe-material.html)

Cosmo Kramer 02-14-2010 04:25 PM

Exhaust pipe material

Is the exhaust on a 928 all stainless? If I was to remove the cats and weld in a straight pipe would I need stainless wire for my mig? (I have a machine but it has regular steel flux core wire). I am also looking at adding a bung for my wideband too so I am sure the same will apply for that.

James Bailey 02-14-2010 04:31 PM

It is stainless...but a type of alloy that will corrode after a long time. The cat conv seem to be an even better type of stainless...But think about getting one of the Y pipes much better than cutting up a very expensive Catalytic Convertor

JHowell37 02-14-2010 06:03 PM

No you don't need stainless wire. The regular stuff with the copper shielding is fine, and it's thick enough to use .030". Just make sure to get the area clean and free of rust.

The better idea is to do as Jim suggested and throw on an X-pipe to refrain from hacking up a good (and very expensive) cat.

Cosmo Kramer 02-14-2010 11:55 PM

Thanks for the info guys, still trying to decide what route to go. I am not sure how much my 25 year old cats are worth, but you never know. Cutting out my cats and putting in straight pipe is obviously the cheapest solution on the surface. Does anyone know what performance difference would be from the stock H pipe with no cats to an x pipe with no cats?

Lizard928 02-15-2010 01:18 AM

I would recommend using proper stainless wire, with trimix gas using a pound gun. Dont use too much heat with stainless, and move a bit quicker.

davek9 02-15-2010 01:18 PM

I think the old CATS are worth about ~ $100 bucks as junk, at least so I was told.

76FJ55 02-15-2010 04:49 PM

I guess you could retain the cats you cut off, and you could always weld those back on if you wanted to revert back to stock.

Cosmo Kramer 02-15-2010 07:24 PM

After looking at it I decided to order the X pipe, more money now but much easier to install plus it has the extra bung already for my wide band.

Imo000 02-15-2010 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer (Post 7315724)
After looking at it I decided to order the X pipe, more money now but much easier to install plus it has the extra bung already for my wide band.

That little boy's College fund is getting smaller and smaller! LMAO...... good choice! :)

Cosmo Kramer 02-15-2010 08:51 PM

Ha ha no doubt thank goodness he is only 2 right now!

anonymousagain 02-16-2010 03:21 PM

Ted - shouldn't you consider a Y-pipe instead of an X? much easier to plumb a single out the end and you won't see any difference in performance with the SC setup. A tad bit cheaper too.

just a thought.

Cosmo Kramer 02-16-2010 03:41 PM

I am leaving the rest of my exhaust is completely stock, I am just taking out the section of pipe coming off the factory headers that contain the cats. I am still keeping both the mid muffler and "pumpkin".

She is going to be a silent hammer LOL!

Imo000 02-16-2010 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer (Post 7318134)
I am leaving the rest of my exhaust is completely stock, I am just taking out the section of pipe coming off the factory headers that contain the cats. I am still keeping both the mid muffler and "pumpkin".

She is going to be a silent hammer LOL!

With the rest stock the car will be just loud enough for daily driving. Anything more and it will take some "taste" to getting use to.