Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   To strip or not to strip? That is the question (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/547235-to-strip-or-not-to-strip-that-is-the-question.html)

chewy8000 01-26-2010 06:34 PM

To strip or not to strip? That is the question

If I were a woman we would all know the answer.

I recently got sideswiped by a lady pulling into a spot to pick someone up at the front of her building and had to have the front left fender replaced and painted. The paint shop did an incredible job blending it and detailing the whole car. Now the chipped ruber strips are really standing out...

Should I ditch the strips all together or touch them up with a matching paint pen? One of the chips on the driverside is the size of a quarter. I'm 50/50 on this, I kinda like them and I kinda don't.

4drgl 01-26-2010 06:39 PM

My fenders had clips in them holding the strips on..

S4ordie 01-26-2010 06:41 PM

If you mean the rub strips along the side of the car, I personally think the S4's look good with them but the OB's S's and GTS's look better without.

Remember there are holes in the fenders, doors and rear quarter panels that the strips attach to. To remove them means having to patch the holes and repaint that area. Something best done when you choose to repaint the entire car.

Tampa 928s 01-26-2010 06:42 PM

You can't ditch them there is a hole in the fender where it mounts. Look for a replacement and get it painted, if it's not damaged remove sand and paint.

Marine Blue 01-26-2010 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by S4ordie (Post 7256724)
If you mean the rub strips along the side of the car, I personally think the S4's look good with them but the OB's S's and GTS's look better without.

Remember there are holes in the fenders, doors and rear quarter panels that the strips attach to. To remove them means having to patch the holes and repaint that area. Something best done when you choose to repaint the entire car.

I agree, S4/GT's look good with them but the GTS and OB's are better without.

I would consider asking the body shop what it would cost to tape off the car and respray the strips.

JHowell37 01-27-2010 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Marine Blue (Post 7256803)
I would consider asking the body shop what it would cost to tape off the car and respray the strips.

I think it would be easier to remove them and have them painted, and then reinstalled. Painting them on the car is akin to changing a light bulb on your front porch by standing there stationary, holding the new bulb in the socket, and then paying a few hundred people to lift your house and turning it to screw in the bulb.

Marine Blue 01-27-2010 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by JHowell37 (Post 7258137)
I think it would be easier to remove them and have them painted, and then reinstalled. Painting them on the car is akin to changing a light bulb on your front porch by standing there stationary, holding the new bulb in the socket, and then paying a few hundred people to lift your house and turning it to screw in the bulb.

LOL, you're right, my brain wasn't functioning yesterday apparently. :p

I guess I didn't think it would be easy to remove and reinstall without damaging them. Probably has to do with the fact that I'm nervous about disassembling the car.