Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Replacing Ignition Switch (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/540509-replacing-ignition-switch.html)

Jakkq 12-16-2009 10:49 PM

Replacing Ignition Switch

How should I go about doing so? I just got a new one, for my 82. I heard this can be an awkward procedure, so I think I'll ask here before attempting it first. :to_order:

neilh 12-16-2009 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jakkq (Post 7150358)
How should I go about doing so? I just got a new one, for my 82. I heard this can be an awkward procedure, so I think I'll ask here before attempting it first. :to_order:

You need to remove the steering wheel, shroud and unbolt the pod to move it out of the way. PM me your email and i'll send you detailed instructions for a 82.

neilh 12-16-2009 11:51 PM

Info emailed to you, good luck.
Neil

Jakkq 12-17-2009 12:15 AM

Thank you much. :jumper:
I'm going to have a go at it tomorrow.

Jakkq 12-19-2009 01:13 AM

Removing the steering wheel. Does this consist of removing the horn pad and unscrewing that giant guy in the center?

Mrmerlin 12-19-2009 06:07 AM

to remove the horn pad grip it on either side and try to quickly pull on either side , it will snap off of the 4 stand offs once this happens then remove the push on wire.
You need a either a 27 mm socket to remove the nut mark the shaft to wheel first.

Disconnect the battery before doing any electrical work

Jakkq 12-20-2009 06:32 PM

This is prolly a noob question, but when reconnecting the battery is it suppose to create so much spark? It looks like it's going to shoot straight at me.

Mrmerlin 12-20-2009 07:04 PM

normal if you have an amp running and if you left any elex systems on or if you have a dirty connection clean it with a Deoxit 100

foxint 09-12-2017 07:04 AM

Hi Guys.

Cannot express my gratitude enough that you write all this stuff and all the information is great. THANKS…!!!

I am new to the world of 928 and already fell into the trap about brake up-grades…. I have a 1982 928 (base model) ROW and I am now told it has S-brakes…that is going to cost me a lot of money…

Anyway…. ignition switch. Mine works but is very worn…. I will need the instructions….

But how does one key the switch to the car key??

Yeah stupid question.

Regards
Dan
Orange – Australia…RHD.

The Forgotten On 09-12-2017 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by foxint (Post 14470152)
Hi Guys.

Cannot express my gratitude enough that you write all this stuff and all the information is great. THANKS…!!!

I am new to the world of 928 and already fell into the trap about brake up-grades…. I have a 1982 928 (base model) ROW and I am now told it has S-brakes…that is going to cost me a lot of money…

Anyway…. ignition switch. Mine works but is very worn…. I will need the instructions….

But how does one key the switch to the car key??

Yeah stupid question.

Regards
Dan
Orange – Australia…RHD.

The ignition switch is separate from the key tumblers and just uses two screws in the back to hold itself onto the steering column.

There is no need to rekey a lock.

Also as for brake upgrades, you can upgrade the rears to 4 piston calipers and put better pads on the front.

The S calipers are a huge improvement to the ones 81- had. All 82 cars got S brakes by the way :).

foxint 09-12-2017 07:05 PM

Thank you.

Yes…learning all the time. I did not know the tumblers were separate. Are they cheap to restore?

Thanks for the tip for the brakes. I will get better pads. That is cheaper.

I found this - http://perfexmfg.com/brakes.php

Seems too good to be true. Has anyone one this?

Thanks again

Dan

Whsell 03-25-2019 01:46 PM

Replacing Ignition Switch

Originally Posted by neilh (Post 7150435)
You need to remove the steering wheel, shroud and unbolt the pod to move it out of the way. PM me your email and i'll send you detailed instructions for a 82.

do you still have instructions for replacing ignition switch?

crushingday 03-25-2019 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Whsell (Post 15727694)

do you still have instructions for replacing ignition switch?

I would love to have these instructions as well if it's the same general idea as my '78