Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   928 Wrist watches (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/501897-928-wrist-watches.html)

RyanPerrella 06-07-2009 11:45 PM

When i first heard the idea on this thread i thought it was tacky

Having now owned a NON DIGITAL DASH CAR I can now appreciate the warning "!" which is the 12 indicator. I like the touch of showing only the numbers 9 2 and 8

Nice work, not something I would buy but it looks good guys.

RyanPerrella 06-07-2009 11:47 PM

ALSO

PLEASE DONT PUT "SHARK" IN THERE!

"Shark" has NOTHING to do with Porsche whatsoever. I also think its redundant to put "928" there also with only 9 2 and 8 showing on the face.

I also think the background should have some kind of texture, with just a simple matte black or graphite color and only basic script in white and orange/red it is very very plain. Simple but perhaps you could create some detail in the overall background by either some type of machined metal to serve as the background or some type of very simple yet detailed pattern in the background to give it some depth. The way the face looks now it looks like a $30 watch not a $300 or $500 watch. Detail it up a bit

perrys4 06-08-2009 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by RyanPerrella (Post 6632437)
ALSO

PLEASE DONT PUT "SHARK" IN THERE!

"Shark" has NOTHING to do with Porsche whatsoever. I also think its redundant to put "928" there also with only 9 2 and 8 showing on the face.

I also think the background should have some kind of texture, with just a simple matte black or graphite color and only basic script in white and orange/red it is very very plain. Simple but perhaps you could create some detail in the overall background by either some type of machined metal to serve as the background or some type of very simple yet detailed pattern in the background to give it some depth. The way the face looks now it looks like a $30 watch not a $300 or $500 watch. Detail it up a bit

That's a lot of input for a watch your wouldn't buy, lol!! Have a good one Ryan.

Have to agree on the face though, needs a texture or a finish of some kind to richen it up.

RKD in OKC 06-08-2009 12:54 AM

I told you I was a photoshop phreak...just can't help myself.....

http://www.zipbang.com/928gts/928watchrkd1p.jpg

pcar928fan 06-08-2009 01:09 AM

Yea, Ryan, that is a whole lot of thought and suggestions for something you already are not interested in... sheesh man...

The renderings are based on CAD stuff the dial has a beautiful texture to it and the crystal is convex and one of my absolute favorite crystals on any of my 30 watches! Trust me this thing will look like the $700 watch it will be if you miss out on the first round at $500...

Here is another question for you guys.

What color would you like to see the second hand in? White or Orange (to match the hands)?

We are going to leave the "928" off of the real deal and just have the silhouette instead.

RKD, good rendering on this last one. The colors look correct. Red "!" "button", red redline, orange hands! PERFECT!

We will see what comes back from the factory now! Really getting excited about this guys! I hope most of you are too! This will be a VERY high quality piece, from the movement all the way down to the presentation box it comes in trust me!

6mil928 06-08-2009 01:19 AM

I like the #1 as well. too rich for my blood the money could be better spent on the shark parts with my thin wallet. The watch looks great maybe one day.

RKD in OKC 06-08-2009 01:41 AM

http://www.zipbang.com/928gts/928watch1p2.jpg

I will be disappointed if the minute marks are not really thin like on the speedo and tach.
Also the hour marks at 9 2 and 8 shorter to make the numbers stand out.
I kinda like the black second hand with the white tip, we can't get that?

pcar928fan 06-08-2009 02:57 AM

RKD, you know I said the same thing about the second hand... Will pass it on that my idea was liked by at least one other. Still plenty of time on this, but we wanted to get a REALLY good handle on the dial before we proto'ed it. It takes time and money to do that, so we didn't want to waste any of it if at all possible... I think we have done very well on this project so far. I agree that the "minute" marks should be (and will be) smaller than the 5's and of course the ones at 8,9, and 2 will be smaller as well. In fact it is your rendering above that has been emailed off to Germany to be turned in to a real dial!

So, if you don't like it you will know who to blame! LOL! Really RKD, great stuff man, thanks so much for the help!

I guess if we got down to it later we could drop the "Limited edition" and do it in a Quartz movement for those on a tighter budget...the problem is that most folks who can afford a $300 Quartz watch can also probably afford a $500 automatic... Keep in mind the "PORSCHE" watches you can get up at the dealership are Quartz and start at over $550 and most are over $700! I have one and I like it, but DANG that is some bucks for a Quartz watch!

RyanPerrella 06-08-2009 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by pcar928fan (Post 6632769)
RKD, you know I said the same thing about the second hand... Will pass it on that my idea was liked by at least one other. Still plenty of time on this, but we wanted to get a REALLY good handle on the dial before we proto'ed it. It takes time and money to do that, so we didn't want to waste any of it if at all possible... I think we have done very well on this project so far. I agree that the "minute" marks should be (and will be) smaller than the 5's and of course the ones at 8,9, and 2 will be smaller as well. In fact it is your rendering above that has been emailed off to Germany to be turned in to a real dial!

So, if you don't like it you will know who to blame! LOL! Really RKD, great stuff man, thanks so much for the help!

I guess if we got down to it later we could drop the "Limited edition" and do it in a Quartz movement for those on a tighter budget...the problem is that most folks who can afford a $300 Quartz watch can also probably afford a $500 automatic... Keep in mind the "PORSCHE" watches you can get up at the dealership are Quartz and start at over $550 and most are over $700! I have one and I like it, but DANG that is some bucks for a Quartz watch!

Because you PAY $700 to buy a watch which says "PORSCHE" on it at the dealer does not mean its a $700 watch. Merchandise is where allot of brands make their biggest killing. Ferrari, Porsche, Merc, BMW all make 10's of millions of dollars selling this stuff. And its all just $1 pens sold for $25, or $2 caps sold for $30 or $20 jackets sold for $90. Its all just markup, your paying for the name. So yeah im sure that the watch sold with the Porsche or Ferrari name costs no more then 20% of its retail value to produce. The best part is they never have to advertise this crap, people that want it seek this stuff out, no advertising budget needed to reduce the profit on these items, they are huge huge money makers.

I do think the watch concept turned out better then i first imagines, i like the ideas used, for those that are into watches and 928's it should be a nice little collectable to have.

nice work

S4ordie 06-08-2009 04:51 AM

As stated before, drop the "shark" and the "Limited Edition" from the face. Again, the uniqueness of the watch makes it diferent and the limited edition really does not mean anything to anyone but us. If you must have "Limited Edition" on something put it on the box and documentation that describes the watch.

Why have a second hand at all if it is black? You can't see it, even if the tip is white. If the tip was a larger dot that was easily recognizable as it swept around the dial then the black of the main part of the second hand doesn't matter if you can't see it. I like the orange and red but you will probably have to see the pre-prod mockup and wear it a day or two in varying light conditions to see if those colors are visible in low light environments.

Jadz928 06-08-2009 08:58 AM

Sure would be neat if the watch had a "calibration setting", similar to how a modern guage calibrates at startup.
I'm not saying it needs to actually calibrate, but would be cool if it would do a custom full-sweep movement and 9:28 am & pm.

I'm agree the Limited Edition is not necessary. Though my opinion should be taken lightly because I'm on the fence and haven't commited to order... yet. :)

RKD in OKC 06-08-2009 09:05 AM

Here ya go Dan...though I don't think the visibility of the second hand is that big of a deal since all it's really good for is so John Cameron Swaizy can show it "Takes a licking and still keeps ticking" after running over it :)

http://www.zipbang.com/928gts/928watch1p3.jpg

Jadz928 06-08-2009 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by pcar928fan (Post 6632407)
Also, as a reminder, the hands are ORANGE, the redline and "button" are red and all the rest is white (which glows green of course)... the orange and red glow orange and red but are not nearly as bright as the white (nee. green) just so you guys know.

James,
I'm not thrilled about the green glow. I'm not a watch collector, so I don't know. Is this traditional?

shmark 06-08-2009 10:14 AM

RKD that last rendering is perfect, I love it! And James if you can do a piston crown that would be incredible, perfect topper for the watch. Count me in for the full monty, exhibition back, piston crown and a pilot strap. Love it!

shmark 06-08-2009 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jadz928 (Post 6632930)
James,
I'm not thrilled about the green glow. I'm not a watch collector, so I don't know. Is this traditional?

The lume on a watch will glow a greenish yellow, leaning toward white depending on the type of lume used. Seiko uses just about the brightest around and it has that greenish cast, looks like it's powered in the dark. I doubt it will be this bright, but it will look good. I'm wearing one of these right now.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b.../seikolume.jpg