Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Is ethanol OK for sharks? (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/437346-is-ethanol-ok-for-sharks.html)

BC 06-18-2008 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by marton (Post 5524123)
Brendan posted
HTML Code:

I don't give a **** about the political or environmental issues with
ethanol production or distribution

Yes but there is no such thing as a free lunch.
It may be a buck per gallon cheaper but that is because it is subsidised using your tax dollar.
Plus your food prices have increased.
Overall you end up paying more; which you are probably happy to do for your 11:1 compression high revving 2 litre but there is no benefit for your 928 which is the point of this thread?

Marton

Well, full disclosure, I have a car that is nearly (maybe 10k away - I hope less) done which is based around this fuel. Larger tank, high boost, SS, anodized aluminum, or teflon lines, and it will have the tune to make it work - And its an other-wise stock 928.

And 160lb injectors. :icon107:

marton 06-19-2008 04:38 AM

HTML Code:

I have a car that is nearly ....
EXCELLENT :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Marton

OJ GTS 06-19-2008 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Swift (Post 5522982)
That being said, you WILL see a noticeable decrease in MPG. That is a well known fact.

That's my point though! It will use more volume of fuel because there is less energy per unit of fuel, that doesn't make it less efficient. You're not comparing apples and apples when it comes to gasoline and ethanol, even though you're being charged the same per unit of fuel.

And by the way, you lot do not know how good you've got it when it comes to fuel prices, we're currently at £1.18 a litre, which is about $2.40 per litre, which is about $9.10 a gallon!

VehiGAZ 06-19-2008 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by OJ GTS (Post 5525584)
you lot do not know how good you've got it when it comes to fuel prices

Yes we do, but it's been on a steep rise, which is painful any way you look at it.

Many of us heat our homes with heating oil, which is also running around $4.50/gallon (around here, anyway) and that adds another layer of pain. I guess I burn about a thousand gallons of each per year (gasoline and heating oil - we drive a lot more in the US than you do in Europe), so that basically doubles the effect of the recent inflation on my budget.

marton 06-19-2008 10:26 AM

HTML Code:

Many of us heat our homes with heating oil
Ouch!

I live next to a river & I have a heat pump installed using river water so I only burn about 80 gallons oil yearly due to extra cold days/nights - if the river water drops below 3C then I am on 100% oil.
Thinking about a solar panel for electricity to drive the heat pump but I am not sure if we get enough sun in winter to make a significant difference

Marton

VehiGAZ 06-19-2008 10:35 AM

In my part of the US, it gets way too cold in the winter for heat pumps. It's oil or propane/natural gas around here, although wood pellet stoves are becoming increasingly popular.

When we bought our house in 2001, I paid a fixed price of $0.89/gallon, and we burned about 1400 gallons the first year (older house). Nowadays we burn more wood, we've replaced windows, doors, roof insulation, etc, as well as the boiler, and keep the heat low, but I'm still burning around 1000 gallons. I got a fill-up on Tuesday for $4.68/gallon, and that's a "cheap" summer price. I am afraid of what prices the winter will bring...

Out of curiosity, how many km do you drive per year (entire household)

marton 06-19-2008 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by VehiGAZ (Post 5525899)
Out of curiosity, how many km do you drive per year (entire household)

About 50K Km; between us my wife & I have 4 cars.
928s
Mustang 5.0 convertible
PT cruiser turbo convertible
VW Lupo

Marton

VehiGAZ 06-19-2008 12:29 PM

My wife and I do about 37k miles/60,000 km per year. That is now spread out over 4 cars instead of 2, but whatever... a lot of miles and a lot of gas!

Do you drive more than the average European?

marton 06-19-2008 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by VehiGAZ (Post 5526374)
Do you drive more than the average European?

More than double, about 800 bucks per month for gas :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

VehiGAZ 06-19-2008 05:42 PM

We are probably a bit above the national average as well, but clearly the average American drives a lot more than the average European, but the disparity in total fuel costs between regions is much lower, maybe nil?

marton 06-19-2008 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by VehiGAZ (Post 5527695)
but the disparity in total fuel costs between regions is much lower, maybe nil?

Are you asking about Europe?
Petrol prices vary a lot; UK today about $2.31 per litre & here in Switzerland about $1.84 per litre.

Marton

marton 06-20-2008 05:00 AM

HTML Code:

it gets way too cold in the winter for heat pumps
Have you looked at Geothermal? Very popular here; a truck rolls up with a big machine on it & in 1 day or 2 they dug the holes, laid the pipes & you are all set.

Of course you need the good geology under your house for the holes.
I read it is a popular technique in Idaho & Oregon.

Marton

OJ GTS 06-20-2008 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by VehiGAZ (Post 5525818)
Many of us heat our homes with heating oil, which is also running around $4.50/gallon (around here, anyway)

Yep, me too! Oil fired boiler. I live in an old house out in the sticks here. I commute 55 miles to work (110 miles a day), you'd be surprised how much some of us drive! Even if I stick to my Focus I still knock up about £500 ($1000) a month in petrol! Usually if the distances are shorter the speeds are lower too. For instance I used more fuel when I used to work in London even though it was only a 22 mile journey.

And I'm an engineer so I get paid bugger all! If I were a logical person I'd probably stick a for sale sign on the 928!

marton 06-20-2008 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by OJ GTS (Post 5529246)
And I'm an engineer so I get paid bugger all! If I were a logical person I'd probably stick a for sale sign on the 928!

A non-logical engineer?; no wonder you get paid bugger all... :icon501: :icon107:

Marton
keep the 928 for hands-on engineering practice

Leon Speed 02-04-2011 07:28 PM

Update to this thread. E10 is being sold more wide spread in Germany lately. The German Automobile Club published a compatibility list per vehicle brand. For Porsche it says all models as of MY 1997 are ok. That means, no 928 should use E10 (or E>10).