Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Refill ATF... Tips? (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/436697-refill-atf-tips.html)

LightStriker 06-14-2008 04:00 PM

Refill ATF... Tips?

Currently my 1979 is leaking ATF by the torque converter.
I've schedul a repair... But it's a while away.

A few days ago, I check the ATF level and found it was about 1/3 of inch under the min. So, since I didn't move the car. The last thing I want is a trashed transmition.

However, I still need to bring it to the shop for repair.
So, I decided to fill back the ATF tank.

Is it the worst placed tank cap or is there worst somewhere else?
I manage to fill back the tank (While the car being in neutral to have the right reading)
But while I put around 2L of oil in the tank, I probably also put 500ml on the floor and another 100-200 ml on myself. Is there a mysterious secret way to refilling that tank or you really need to manually pump oil in it from under the car by the little space left between the tank top of the car? They could have made a little openning in the car to refill that.

Any tips to do it clean, so I can learn for the next time...

nosnow 06-14-2008 04:04 PM

I hate this job so much the next time my trans is due for a fluid change I'm brining it to a shop! The only way to fill it is to have a long hose and a funnel or a small hand pump. Either sucks when trying to put 8-9 quarts of fluid in.

chrly924s 06-14-2008 04:10 PM

http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...egoryCode=3487

I got something like this that screws onto the top of the bottle. Makes it real easy.

dr bob 06-14-2008 05:05 PM

I use a similar pump. branded with a Sta-Lube name but common in many places. Added a section of vinyl tube, the clears stuff from Home Depot, secured with a very exotic purple wire-tie masquerading as a cheap hose clamp. Car on 4 stands and level, loop the hose in from the right wheelweel area. Sit next to the wheel and pump slowly to get the fluid in. One of those nice round makeup mirrors sits on the floor so I can see the fill progress without getting a kink in my neck.

Getting lazy or smarter in my old age... you choose.

pcar928fan 06-14-2008 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by dr bob (Post 5511233)
I use a similar pump. branded with a Sta-Lube name but common in many places. Added a section of vinyl tube, the clears stuff from Home Depot, secured with a very exotic purple wire-tie masquerading as a cheap hose clamp. Car on 4 stands and level, loop the hose in from the right wheelweel area. Sit next to the wheel and pump slowly to get the fluid in. One of those nice round makeup mirrors sits on the floor so I can see the fill progress without getting a kink in my neck.

Getting lazy or smarter in my old age... you choose.

EXCELLENT way to handle that! Very good! I like it!

James

928SROCK 06-30-2008 03:21 PM

whats the step by step info. for checking the trans fluid and also adding fluid? 80 928 auto. new 928 owner thanks

pcar928fan 06-30-2008 04:50 PM

Transmission should be warm, and it should be in gear, so you probably need someone in the car w/ a foot on the brake and the car on a lift. It is a real PITA! I believe the owners manual gives the proper procedure for checking the level, so check that out. The good thing is that these Mercedes sourced transmissions are pretty hard to break... You can leak out 3+ quarts of oil from the 9 that it normally has in it and hardly notice that there is any problem! Just amazing! I would not suggest you do that, but it is nice to know they last even when neglected.

6mil928 06-30-2008 05:01 PM

I use a hand pump that looks like a grease gun. Suck it out of the bottle and inject it in to the reservoir. Jason

LightStriker 06-30-2008 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by pcar928fan (Post 5560358)
Transmission should be warm, and it should be in gear, so you probably need someone in the car w/ a foot on the brake and the car on a lift. It is a real PITA! I believe the owners manual gives the proper procedure for checking the level, so check that out. The good thing is that these Mercedes sourced transmissions are pretty hard to break... You can leak out 3+ quarts of oil from the 9 that it normally has in it and hardly notice that there is any problem! Just amazing! I would not suggest you do that, but it is nice to know they last even when neglected.

The manual says to have the car in neutral (not park) when checking for the oil level... From what I understand, on neutral, the oil is actually pumped into the system, as my tank lost about 2 inches while I was filling it.

Those transmision are maybe hard to break, but I won't try. :)
Replacing it would be horribly expensive.

I didn't need someone inside, as both rear whells weren't touching the ground.

ew928 06-30-2008 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by LightStriker (Post 5560408)
Those transmision are maybe hard to break, but I won't try. :)
Replacing it would be horribly expensive.

I didn't need someone inside, as both rear whells weren't touching the ground.

Wow. You're pretty strong to lift up the back of the 928 with one hand while filling the tranny with the other. :jumper:

Randy V 06-30-2008 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by 928SROCK (Post 5560003)
whats the step by step info. for checking the trans fluid and also adding fluid? 80 928 auto. new 928 owner thanks

Dude - I posted a step-by-step in your thread over at Pelican.

:confused::confused:

pcar928fan 06-30-2008 07:27 PM

I didn't way put it in park, I said put it in gear foot on brake. I forgot it was actually supposed to be in neutral.

LightStriker 06-30-2008 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by ew928 (Post 5560490)
Wow. You're pretty strong to lift up the back of the 928 with one hand while filling the tranny with the other. :jumper:

o.O

jpitman2 06-30-2008 07:51 PM

ATF is thin enough to pour fairly quickly so I just put clear tubing on top of the quart/litre bottles, squeeze into reservoir. For heavier fluids (eg EP90) into gearboxes, diffs, I have run a clear tube from filler hole to outside the body, attached to a funnel tied to the fuel filler flap, and watched for overflow, catch whats left in tube somehow. With the 928 AT, fill reservoir, start/stop engine, repeat until level doesnt drop significantly, then top off while running.
jp 83 Euro S AT 51k

6mil928 06-30-2008 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Randy V (Post 5560799)
Dude - I posted a step-by-step in your thread over at Pelican.

:confused::confused:

Get em Randy:icon107: