Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   928 thread at Corvette forum off topic (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/419966-928-thread-at-corvette-forum-off-topic.html)

blown 87 03-28-2008 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mongo (Post 5258084)
Damn some of those guys are cheapos. I'm only 25 and I can afford to maintain a 928 AND IT IS DRIVEN DAILY. Do Vette guys have the budget of Honda CRX owners?

Me, yes.
Most of the guys over there, not so much. :)

Kevin Michael 03-28-2008 12:19 PM

Blown, I would sign up, But getting into a pissing match with those guys is really not my cup-o-tea. I mean trying to tell them that most of the newer Vette's design was lifted off our near 30 year old design may cause some of those guys medical complications. To me , the Corvette is the Pamela Anderson of automobiles, Its cheap ,mostly plastic, and available to most anyone, not to mention you can find a similar one on every corner.

RngTrtl 03-28-2008 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Michael (Post 5258145)
Blown, I would sign up, But getting into a pissing match with those guys is really not my cup-o-tea. I mean trying to tell them that most of the newer Vette's design was lifted off our near 30 year old design may cause some of those guys medical complications. To me , the Corvette is the Pamela Anderson of automobiles, Its cheap ,mostly plastic, and available to most anyone, not to mention you can find a similar one on every corner.

Preach on sir, Preach on. Couldnt have said it better my self. Also, I too need to spend very little to keep my 928 running. I bought mine in college on a college budget and have had it running ever since (2.5 yrs so far). Total cost to fix/maintain was/is way less than my tab at The Tavern.

hacker-pschorr 03-28-2008 12:24 PM

Kevin,
The 928 is not the first car to have a transaxle design. If my data is correct, the 928 is the 7th production car using this setup.

Pontiac put a transaxle in the Tempest back in the 60's.

On another note, if you are at a track event in a 928 and warp or crack a rotor you are screwed unless you brought along a spare, and we all know how much they cost.
In a ZO6 run down to NAPA and spend about $20.

Mongo 03-28-2008 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by blown 87 (Post 5258123)
Me, yes.
Most of the guys over there, not so much. :)

With a supercharged and intercooled vette to? UH HUH ;)

blown 87 03-28-2008 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Michael (Post 5258145)

I was not suggesting a pissing match, but I can see how it looks like I might have been by just posting that link.

Maybe Doc will buy it and give it a good home.

Mongo 03-28-2008 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by blown 87 (Post 5258188)
I was not suggesting a pissing match, but I can see how it looks like I might have been by just posting that link.

ehh.... posting one brand of V8 into a different brand of V8 forum could spark tensions similar to Israelis and Palestinians.

Kevin Michael 03-28-2008 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by blown 87 (Post 5258188)

I know you didn't mean it that way. I just knew if I went over there, I would cause trouble.:)

blown 87 03-28-2008 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mongo (Post 5258184)
With a supercharged and intercooled vette to? UH HUH ;)

Some of the guys and girls over there have some real deep pockets.
And some are like me, just car guys who work for a living and spend almost every penny they have on there cars. :)

Kevin Michael 03-28-2008 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr (Post 5258170)
Kevin,
The 928 is not the first car to have a transaxle design. If my data is correct, the 928 is the 7th production car using this setup.

Pontiac put a transaxle in the Tempest back in the 60's.

On another note, if you are at a track event in a 928 and warp or crack a rotor you are screwed unless you brought along a spare, and we all know how much they cost.
In a ZO6 run down to NAPA and spend about $20.

Erik, I didn't say "configuration", The word I used was "design". Comparing a Tempest to a 928? You are hereby banished to the Corvette forums till further notice! Man, first Tim prods me and now you? Next you two will demand me to turn in my supercharger and boost guage.

blown 87 03-28-2008 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Michael (Post 5258214)
I know you didn't mean it that way. I just knew if I went over there, I would cause trouble.:)

I know what you mean, it is hard to just sit back and say nothing when folks that don't know what they are talking about bash something you love.

I think for the most part they were not bashing the 928 at all, but it is a Corvette forum, just like this is a 928 forum.

All in all, I think the Corvette forum and the 928 forum has more adults postings for the most part, than lets say the Mustang forums.

There are more brand crossovers in these two crowds than a person would think.
:)

hacker-pschorr 03-28-2008 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Michael (Post 5258237)
Erik, I didn't say "configuration", The word I used was "design". Comparing a Tempest to a 928? You are hereby banished to the Corvette forums till further notice! Man, first Tim prods me and now you? Next you two will demand me to turn in my supercharger and boost guage.

The only design aspect the Corvette & 928 have in common is the transaxle (other than front V8, hardly unique to either).
The suspension is very different, the engines have nothing in common other than the number of pistons. They actually get a 6-speed.......

What am I missing here? What part of the 928 design did the Corvette take from the 928?

SteveG 03-28-2008 01:06 PM

Taking the time to correct any misconceptions would be a service. Saying anything derogatory about our cars here would be taken the same way there if you were to post a dis on the vette there and deteriorate quickly. I don't have time to debate whether either is 'fugly'.

Kevin Michael 03-28-2008 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr (Post 5258252)
The only design aspect the Corvette & 928 have in common is the transaxle (other than front V8, hardly unique to either).
The suspension is very different, the engines have nothing in common other than the number of pistons. They actually get a 6-speed.......

What am I missing here? What part of the 928 design did the Corvette take from the 928?

Erik, I can't remember the publication, but some people who know more than me or you wrote a piece on it sometime back, may have been posted here. I may be wrong, and if I am, I will certainly apologise. Sorry to have struck a nerve........Btw, did you know that cobra replicas are......J/K!

hacker-pschorr 03-28-2008 01:17 PM

Kevin,
You should know by now hitting a nerve with me is pretty hard to do. Just trying to help out before you log on and tell the Corvette folks their cars came from the 928...:)

IMO I know more about Corvette's then 928's....:icon501: don't tell anyone around here, might get me voted off the island.....