Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   15 minute instrument pod removal update and instrument light bulbs for an OK price (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/372301-15-minute-instrument-pod-removal-update-and-instrument-light-bulbs-for-an-ok-price.html)

Schocki 07-17-2014 05:09 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Agreed! There is no single light bulb inside my GTS left. It makes a huge difference.
It is finally like the factory should have delivered it (IMHO) :)
Sorry the pictures are a little out of focus and overexposed. In reality they are just cool!!

NoVector 07-17-2014 05:21 PM

Hi Shocki - Was there a thread on your window/sunroof switches? I remember Paul Champagne switches a couple years ago but I never seen ones like yours. They look stock--and awesome! Did a search but no results. Thanks!

Schocki 07-17-2014 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by NoVector (Post 11514658)
Hi Shocki - Was there a thread on your window/sunroof switches? I remember Paul Champagne switches a couple years ago but I never seen ones like yours. They look stock--and awesome! Did a search but no results. Thanks!

They were made by a fellow PFF forum member in Germany. They are made out of painted white plastic. The symbols are lasered and look OEM. The lighting is El-tape.
The switch bases remain and the top part of the switch is replaced. That is the tricky part because the switches are not designed to be taken apart.
Roger sold them too, with little success only. To difficult for the average 928 owner.....
Last set was sold this week in Germany....

Hilton 07-17-2014 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by big load (Post 11513307)
wow i have been looking for this type of a thread for ages. half my dash lights don't work so needed to find a way to fix them.

do you know or think this will work for the 1989 S4 euro model (uk)???:rockon:

Its much easier on your car - no airbag.

If you're not sure, look for Dwayne's write-up on removing the pod - its more similar and shows the bolt locations more clearly from memory. RHD is pretty much the same, and with no airbag until '93 in the UK, its largely the same as Dwayne's write-up for all UK 87-92.

Its not hard - its just a fear thing (like most first-time jobs on a 928) :)

Undo the steering wheel (27mm socket) and put it on the passenger seat. Then grab your philips screwdriver (for the plastic panels), 10mm socket (for the steering switchgear clamp) and 5mm allen key (to undo the pod bolts), and have at it. Be very gentle with the small plastic clips on the rear of the cluster - a bit of wd40 or silicone spray will help if they're stuck fast, and some gentle wiggling back and forth.

Mattman928 07-15-2016 08:33 AM

Caution when taking apart POD

1 Attachment(s)
Great write up! One word of caution when taking the allen bolts out of the two front brackets. The rear allen bolt is a long bolt (i.e. about 3 inches long) and they thread through an aluminim frame into a nut that just rests on top of the frame. When you thread these back for the reassembly, make sure you gently thread them because in my case I pished too hard and knocked the nut into the area under the dash. This was a PITA to retrieve.

...Now I have to figure out why I have extra parts :)

- matt

StratfordShark 07-15-2016 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Mattman928 (Post 13452836)
Great write up! One word of caution when taking the allen bolts out of the two front brackets. The rear allen bolt is a long bolt (i.e. about 3 inches long) and they thread through an aluminim frame into a nut that just rests on top of the frame. When you thread these back for the reassembly, make sure you gently thread them because in my case I pished too hard and knocked the nut into the area under the dash. This was a PITA to retrieve.

...Now I have to figure out why I have extra parts :)

- matt

I remember getting very frustrated by that nut on top of long bolt last time I took pod out. It's very easy to know it off, so I glued the thing down on the frame, and no more cursing after that!

2002M3Drew 10-19-2016 03:17 PM

Hi all,

I have an '85 and my dash pod has a couple of cracks, plus the "D" indicator is out on my dash. Will these instructions work for me in removing the pod completely so that I can swap in a new one that I bought? Also, are the bulbs plug and play on the 1985, or are they soldered in? Thanks!

Schocki 10-19-2016 03:45 PM

Yes, it works too. But you have a regular steering wheel without airbag. Just remove the wheel.....

G8RB8 11-19-2016 09:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OP in PDF format.

1990jim929 01-29-2019 10:43 PM

Great post. I was able to move my pod to get to the top screw when replacing my ignition switch this week using this info. So thanks !

Schocki 01-30-2019 03:03 AM

:biggulp: Your welcome!

Chuck Schreiber 02-01-2019 12:28 AM

Schocki,
You're back!
Some say you never left.....::D

Schocki 02-01-2019 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck Schreiber (Post 15607746)
Schocki,
You're back!
Some say you never left.....::D

True! I really miss my DFW 928 gang and wrenching sessions at the Tyson ranch I left in 2006....13 years ago can't believe it myself. But my GTS is still my companion. I just replaced the HVAC box entirely, due to an evaporator leak. Got a good used 94 unit from Roger. I guess my 92 is the only one in the world with a pollen filter 😎 now

Ranfurly 02-01-2019 03:10 PM

Hi

I read a point in this thread I’d like to clarify. Re bulbs backlighting the digital dash. Screen. My digital dash screen is ‘faded or dim’ towards the left side. I thought the screen itself was dying, but is it actually a blown bulb?

Richard

Schocki 02-02-2019 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ranfurly (Post 15608991)
Hi

I read a point in this thread I’d like to clarify. Re bulbs backlighting the digital dash. Screen. My digital dash screen is ‘faded or dim’ towards the left side. I thought the screen itself was dying, but is it actually a blown bulb?

Richard

The later digital dashboards use a regular circuit board for the bulbs. Most likely you are right and one of the four yellow bulbs is not working. They are always on.
To check, just trigger the red bulbs by intentionally displaying a warning message The four red bulbs don't see a lot of use. Pull the connector of the coolant level sensor on the expansion tank and jump it. This will trigger the "low coolant warning message on the display. If this is shown correctly now in red, one of the yellow bulbs is blown.