Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   need help, ground wire on pass side ignition coil, where does it go? (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/365107-need-help-ground-wire-on-pass-side-ignition-coil-where-does-it-go.html)

RyanPerrella 07-14-2007 10:53 PM

need help, ground wire on pass side ignition coil, where does it go?

I am trying to figure out where the gorund wire that goes from the bottom of the bracket that holds the ignition coil on the passenger side goes.

I am thinking it goes with the bolt that is the upper attachment for the pass side upper timing belt cover. Is this correct? I dont remember where I unbolted this from.

Can someone take a look at their car (S4 Gt GTS) and tell me where this 10" long ground wire goes.

Thanks

RyanPerrella 07-14-2007 10:55 PM

ahhh I remember, I am 95% sure it goes onto the front pass side engine lifting hook. There is a screw there thats used with a loop to secure a large bundle of the wiring harness. Does the ground wire also use that connection?

Can someone verify this for me, Thanks

ROG100 07-15-2007 12:14 AM

I have drunk tooooo much red wine to go and look but I am pretty sure you are correct.
Roger

Kevin Michael 07-15-2007 12:37 AM

Same bracket the hall sensor is mounted to. Behind pass. side cam gear cover.

RyanPerrella 07-15-2007 03:17 AM

Thanks Kevin.

Actually the HAL sensor is mounted with 2 small allen screws to the back side of the rear upper timing belt cover. But there is a bracket immediately behind this which is the engine lifting hook. There tapped hole in the bracket which is used to mount a witring harness locating loop and the screw is plenty long so this is where the other end of my ground wire is now mounted.

Kevin Michael 07-15-2007 09:02 AM

Thats what I meant. Sorry!

Mrmerlin 07-15-2007 01:41 PM

the coil ground is connected to the engine lifting bracket on the right side of the engine and on the left side to the back of the timing belt cover securing screw

kraabel 03-26-2009 10:48 PM

I'm looking at hooking mine up too, but I can't seem to find the spot. Is it out of view or has anyone taken a picture of the location?

Better question: can I get to it from the top?

RyanPerrella 03-26-2009 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by kraabel (Post 6424013)
I'm looking at hooking mine up too, but I can't seem to find the spot. Is it out of view or has anyone taken a picture of the location?

if i recall its not very difficult, I believe it connects to the engine lifting hook on the passenger side head.

You should be able to get it from the top i know i did, but it maybe obscured by either ignition wires or a rad reservoir hose or something.

the flyin' scotsman 03-27-2009 12:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Is it out of view or has anyone taken a picture of the location?

here's one (curtosy of Dwaynes intake write up):

Yes, but its easier if you remove the engine hoist bracket.

macerl 08-21-2018 05:59 PM

Is it sufficient for the passenger side ignition coil grounding wire to be firmly affixed to the block or frame in the right front of the engine or engine compartment vice in the exact place of original placement?

1990 GT

dr bob 08-21-2018 06:33 PM

The location on the engine isn't as critical as making sure the point you select is actually in solid electrical contact with the block. The right-side engine lifting bracket bolts directly to the head, so the path is direct and assured. It's also very convenient and close to the coil mounting.

macerl 08-23-2018 04:43 PM

Apparently, my front lifting bracket is missing. And the passenger side grounding strap to that coil is also not connected to anything, just hanging loose.
Could that explain light ignition missing at cruise speed?
1) Can I attach to the bolt by the blue arrow head?
2) What is the connector circled in green? It is not open as indicated; I only disconnected it temporarily to fish out the coil ground strap.
Thank you for your assistance.
1https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...bbd08d5673.jpg

dr bob 08-23-2018 05:09 PM

It's possible but very unlikely. The ground wire works to solve some possible ignition interference issues with your radio, where a ground loop through the engine ground cable (frame to right side of block) is too long or weak. You can attach the ground wire to any secure point on the engine, so long as that point is securely connected to the engine metal.

Meanwhile...

That right-front lifting lug is the support for the main front-of-engine electrical harness KS-2, and also holds the connector for the camshaft position "Hall" sensor pn S4+ cars. I consider it important, as the harness passes on the outside of the bracket, while the high-impedance and noise-sensitive Hall sensor wiring is on the inside. The grounded metal of the bracket protects the Hall sensor wiring from noise that might otherwise be induced from the engine harness. When I replaced the timing belt, I mis-routed the main harness to the inside of the bracket, directly above the Hall sensor connection. The controller diagnostics reported intermittent failure of the sensor due solely to that mistake. Moving the harness to outside the bracket solved the symptom. Six degrees of ignition timing restored.

macerl 08-23-2018 06:26 PM

I added a picture to my original post, trying to figure out what that connector circled in green is.

Ok, I see that that connection goes to the Hall sensor,