Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   928 Track car update w/pics! (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/357647-928-track-car-update-w-pics.html)

Zaner 06-08-2007 12:10 AM

928 Track car update w/pics!

6 Attachment(s)
She is currently weighing in around 2000 lbs!

BC 06-08-2007 12:15 AM

Did you get the tub stripped and then painted? If you did, how did you get it all off?

IcemanG17 06-08-2007 12:29 AM

Sweet.......very nice....are those GTS brakes painted yellow?

Zaner 06-08-2007 12:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Brendan,

These are the tools we used! Oh, and lots of sweat,tears,blood,sore muscles,cramps,a nose bleed or two,a few flying fists,and 4200 milligrams of Aspirin :<)

LndShrk 06-08-2007 12:45 AM

This is looking very promissing! :rockon: :rockon: What engine will you be using, and how much horsepower do you plan to put out? With some skillful driving this could be a serious competitor out on the race track. What class will you be competing in? If you end up in ITE maybe we'll have the top two spots in the points race.

GUMBALL 06-08-2007 03:21 AM

The car looks very nice - I am impressed at how clean the whole car looks.
It's hard to tell from the photos, but do you have your cage done yet?
If so, for a track car, I am surprised to see there is no bracing to the strut towers - either front of rear.

928cs 06-08-2007 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by GUMBALL
It's hard to tell from the photos, but do you have your cage done yet? If so, for a track car, I am surprised to see there is no bracing to the strut towers.

You can see the cage on the first picture.

Samuel

GUMBALL 06-08-2007 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by 928cs
You can see the cage on the first picture.

Samuel

You are right - I can see that there is a cage in the car. But, my question was...."is the cage done"...??

The reason that I asked, there have been a couple of times that I have taken over the preparation of a sedan or sports car...and been amazed at how much the spring rate/sway bar rate/shock valving had to change to utilize the additional stiffness when the cage is properly tied into the chassis.....

SwayBar 06-08-2007 08:15 AM

Wow, that car is beautiful; can't wait to see it when finished! :cheers:

How about some specs on the engine, wheel size/offsets, suspension, etc?

Originally Posted by GUMBALL
The reason that I asked, there have been a couple of times that I have taken over the preparation of a sedan or sports car...and been amazed at how much the spring rate/sway bar rate/shock valving had to change to utilize the additional stiffness when the cage is properly tied into the chassis.....

How much so? Can you cite a real-world example?

Black Sea RD 06-08-2007 09:05 AM

Hi Chris,

Very nice work! Are you going to detail the A arms while they are exposed and easy to get to? Aerosol cans of Aircraft Stripper found in most automotive parts stores do a very good job of taking off the waxy cosmoline stuff. I know you know this but cleaning off all that stuff lets you examine the conditon of these pieces (for cracks) more easily throughout the race season.

Are you planning on changing the springs? They look like the stock springs, wouldn't a different set, Eibach, H+R, etc. be a better set up for track duty? Looks like you have a nice set of shocks.

Good luck with the rest of the project,
Constantine

mark kibort 06-08-2007 09:17 AM

just cut one coil out of, what looks like the eibach springs. scot did this,and it changed the rate to very close to my race car (750lb front, 475lb rear HR spring rates on Koni shocks)

Black Sea RD 06-08-2007 10:45 AM

Mark,

The springs look stock. Cutting the springs I guess is acceptable, but this build really looks sweet and they should pop for a nice set of springs while they are here.

After saying this I'm sure Chris is getting a lot of "free advice" on how and what to do to the racer. Hope they take this advice in the spirit in which it is given and not as a slam, especially by me.

Just my two cents worth,
Constantine

cdbtx 06-08-2007 11:20 AM

I wouldn't race it - it's too clean!!!! Nice job and that's the right way to build a race car...

Chuck

83 Kiln Red 928S

Jim bailey - 928 International 06-08-2007 12:49 PM

The "right way" is to BUY ONE that is already done :) ...next best assemble from a bare shell ....the most common way is building a ship in a bottle working around a fully asssembled street car and removing adding bits over time with many, many compromises trying to work around what is in the way.

cdbtx 06-08-2007 01:16 PM

I'm hiring the Hawain Tropic crew to help strip the next car.

Chuck

83 Kiln Red 928S