Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Nitrogen in your tires! (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/342840-nitrogen-in-your-tires.html)

Zaner 04-05-2007 09:02 PM

Nitrogen in your tires!

http://www.getnitrogen.org/deepscience/ here's an interesting link with a "Nitrogen" locator service! :burnout:

F4GIB 04-05-2007 09:32 PM

I've got nitrogen in my new tires from the start. For $2 a tire. Last refill was free.

Thanks for the link. Now I can save a 30 mile RT when getting the gas topped up.

ceedee 04-05-2007 09:34 PM

i'll go right now to the gas station to fill with nitrogen

dr bob 04-05-2007 09:38 PM

Be sure to get all the old "bad" air out first! Don't want to contaminate the new stuff before you even have a chance to mix it up!

Mike Frye 04-05-2007 10:45 PM

Got Helium in mine, makes the car lighter.

piccardo 04-05-2007 10:54 PM

New wheels, expensive hard to find tires... I will be filling up with nitrogen very soon.

mark kibort 04-05-2007 11:23 PM

why would you care unless you are racing? even racing, its tough to get all the old air out. starting with a flat tire, you get only 2/3s Nitrogen. all for what? trying to reduce the pressure rise for a hot tire?

mK

123 04-05-2007 11:45 PM

Occasionally I get a mailing from my local Porsche dealership to let me know about services that they have special pricing going on for. I got one in the mail today. One of the services was for the new nitrogen tire filling that they now offer. Special price is $49.95 to inspect and fill the four tires.

Zaner 04-05-2007 11:45 PM

Mark,

Just curious ( trying to educate myself ) if the molecular structure is larger in pure nitrogen than just plain old air ( not to mention the absence of moisture ) and this leads to less pressure loss through porosity, it seems to me this would be a positive thing! 1) Tire pressure would remain constant for longer periods ( fewer trips to the compressor ) 2) Having your tires at the right pressure would lead to: Better tire wear - Better mileage and handling - Etc,etc,etc (I am not really seeing the downside here ) :surr: Please set me straight if i am not understanding this correctly!

Bill Ball 04-05-2007 11:51 PM

I use 80% nitrogen. You can get it almost anywhere. :rolleyes:

Warren928 04-06-2007 12:01 AM

I wonder if ARGON would expand and contract with temperature or if its similar to helium which does not and maintains the same pressure at all temps. I have a big tank of that here.

mark kibort 04-06-2007 12:15 AM

air leaking is more a factor of the bead construction of the tire and rim combo. ive had tires on my 928 , when it was a street car that would keep air pressure for a pretty long time. I use NOS or air with my race tires.(NOS is a larger molecule too) and it looses 10psi over 6 months. but its a race tire. my tires on the bmw have never been checked, and i just checked them, no pressure loss over a full year (using air)

so, its very debatable that NOS, Nitrogen, or air has any advantage over leaking than the other. having the reduction of the little moisture in air, vs actually doing the Nitrogen fill is also so subtle, i fail to see how that helps anything. in fact, even in racing, if you know the pressure rise, you can adjust for it, and as long as you are not going out on cold tires, there really is no disavanage there either. although, with nascar where 1psi of pressure is a big deal, then it may have a use.

so, $49 to have some snake oil equiv in your tires, is kind of expensive.

MK

Originally Posted by Zaner
Mark,

Just curious ( trying to educate myself ) if the molecular structure is larger in pure nitrogen than just plain old air ( not to mention the absence of moisture ) and this leads to less pressure loss through porosity, it seems to me this would be a positive thing! 1) Tire pressure would remain constant for longer periods ( fewer trips to the compressor ) 2) Having your tires at the right pressure would lead to: Better tire wear - Better mileage and handling - Etc,etc,etc (I am not really seeing the downside here ) :surr: Please set me straight if i am not understanding this correctly!

mark kibort 04-06-2007 12:17 AM

all gasses will expand at the same amount.
who told you that helium mantains the same pressure at all temps. (probably someone that doesnt know about "Gas Law" :p

Mk

Originally Posted by Warren928
I wonder if ARGON would expand and contract with temperature or if its similar to helium which does not and maintains the same pressure at all temps. I have a big tank of that here.

F4GIB 04-06-2007 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by 123
Special price is $49.95 to inspect and fill the four tires.

It's a PORSCHE dealer.

A tire dealer will check for nothing and do a purge and refill for 4.95 per tire (it does take labor). After that, it about a dollar a refill once a year.

Charley B 04-06-2007 12:34 AM

What a coincidence, for that same $49.95 I have an additive that when added to your gas tank, will not allow your gasoline to evaporate, as long as you keep the gas cap on. Of course this will have absolutely no effect on your life, other than to make you feel good because you have spent money on something that was logically explained to you. One treatment per year will suffice.