Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Timing Belt Wear Question UPDATED 2-4-07 (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/327991-timing-belt-wear-question-updated-2-4-07-a.html)

mark kibort 02-01-2007 01:28 PM

what is it rubbing on. heck, mine is of the tensioner roller by a little, yet its not rubbing.

ErnestSw 02-01-2007 01:50 PM

Mark,
Most of the rest of us need things like cam gear teeth, timing belts that stay in the right place and other minor details that work. You seem to have special dispensation from the gods of BWAAAAAH. They must like the way you drive! :roflmao: :roflmao:

RichS 1986928 02-01-2007 03:54 PM

What is the usual fix when the T-belt is running too close to the front
of the cam gears?
The passenger side on my 86.0 is getting close, about 2.0mm.

marton 02-01-2007 03:57 PM

HTML Code:

What is the usual fix when the T-belt is running too close
usually it is because the tensioning roller is not straight; bent bolt or similar.

Marton

mark kibort 02-01-2007 04:07 PM

there is a little tiny bit of play on the tensoner bolt. there is, obviosly the main washer, but ive seen PET drawings of a real thin washer as well. i think if i got rid of the slight amount of movement, radially of the tensioner, it would be straight on the roller . as you may know, the tensioner bolt has a thick body that bottoms out at the base of the water pump and that real thick washer. so, the top of the bolt with no washer, could be the reason for this. too think and there would be pressure on the bearing axially that probaby would not be good. but some .010 washer could clean up the angle slightly.
my belt runs to the front of the passenger pulley and pretty close to the front of the pulley, less 1/4" on the drvier side. it runs just over the edge of the tensioner roller. so far, no issues as it has always looked like this, over 5 race seasons and 18,000miles of street driving, 3 -4 different water pumps and several timing belts! and of course, NEW tensioner bolts. i had one break on installation and another was slightly bent over the course of 5 years. cheap insurance. that little big-headed (13mm) bolt, with the 10mm type threads, could be a real disaster! that bolt comes off and the heads are toast!

Mk

Imo000 02-01-2007 04:09 PM

That belt is dragging on something. You can see the rubber sort of depositing (vulcanizing) in a liner fashion on to the top of the belt. If this belt only has 1500 on it, then there must be something (WP or tensioner roller) seizing up and causing this or it could simply have over 60K miles on it.

RichS 1986928 02-01-2007 04:12 PM

I guess I'll keep an eye on mine to make sure it isn't getting any closer to the front edge.

I would feel more comfortable with it running in the middle though, that's for sure!

SeanR 02-01-2007 06:13 PM

Rog, is this who's car I think it is? A local Dr.'s car?

If so, I'd be really pissed off at the PO and that "shop".

ROG100 02-01-2007 06:31 PM

Sean,
If I were to divulge that information to you I would have to kill you.

GLAD ANGELA'S BACK - thats cheered me up as all this crap weather is getting me down.

RSKY BIZ 02-01-2007 06:33 PM

Me too, Sean!

Texass is the only place where it can snow and the only thing to accumulate is car crashes by the roadside...

heinrich 02-01-2007 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by ROG100
Sean,
If I were to divulge that information to you I would have to kill you.

GLAD ANGELA'S BACK - thats cheered me up as all this crap weather is getting me down.

Rog, come join us in Seattle - it's nice and sunny here, clear skies :thumbup: ...... payback's a b#tch isn't it lol

docmirror 02-01-2007 06:36 PM

I saw the belt in person, and it's either very old, or scuffing on something for a while. It just doesn't look right in there. The center cover isn't off yet so we can't see of the rollers are dragging or not.

Doc

marton 02-01-2007 06:44 PM

HTML Code:

docmirror wrote
I saw the belt in person

The belt is alive :confused:

No wonder it does not track right :icon107:

Marton

docmirror 02-01-2007 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by marton
HTML Code:

docmirror wrote
I saw the belt in person

The belt is alive :confused:

No wonder it does not track right :icon107:

Marton

I visually viewed the belt with my eye, rather than a picture.

ROG100 02-01-2007 06:57 PM

Marton,
These Americans have no sense of humour - I enjoyed your joke.
Roger