Notices
928 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: 928 Specialists

32v S4 Twin Turbo installed pics.

 
Old 01-05-2007, 02:16 PM
  #16  
gruffalo
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
gruffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Posts: 829
Default

Originally Posted by Vilhuer
Could be much worse. Actually looks sort of ok and most likely very hard to shorten much without very large hammer. If throtle lingage were out of the way there would be room for those new style air to water tube coolers on both side of intake. Three IC's, hard to beat that.
well, we actually only see half the plumbing in the picture, the atmospheric air will have to be routed all the way back to the turbos, then forward to the a/a IC('s), and into the fenders, and....

But nice job, don't get me wrong!
gruffalo is offline  
Old 01-05-2007, 02:21 PM
  #17  
AO
Supercharged
Rennlist Member
 
AO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Back in Michigan - Full time!
Posts: 18,899
Default

It just ocurred to me that it looks like he has no provision for air/oil separator for venting the crankcase (I think I said that right?). Even with moderate boost you're going to be pressurizing that thing and you're gonna have some oil whipping up. Anyway, hope he's thought about it.
AO is offline  
Old 01-05-2007, 02:21 PM
  #18  
hinchcliffe
Super User
 
hinchcliffe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,788
Default

I think he said they were Garretts in the beginning of the post.

2 Garrett GT series liquid cooled ball bearing turbochargers 750+ HP capacity

2 Air to Air bar and plate front mount intercoolers 10"X4.5"X8"


Anyone else notice how much he covers the front of the radiator? Wonder if there will be any cooling issues. BTW, good luck getting in to change plugs and/or timing belt. THink of the additional work removing stuff before getting where you need to be.
hinchcliffe is offline  
Old 01-05-2007, 02:35 PM
  #19  
123quattro
Super User
 
123quattro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
Posts: 2,973
Default

Originally Posted by hinchcliffe
I think he said they were Garretts in the beginning of the post.

2 Garrett GT series liquid cooled ball bearing turbochargers 750+ HP capacity

2 Air to Air bar and plate front mount intercoolers 10"X4.5"X8".
Yes, we both agree. I just meant he didn't say which Garretts. They sell about 10 different models that could be applicable from GT25 to GT3071.
123quattro is offline  
Old 01-05-2007, 02:36 PM
  #20  
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User
 
Imo000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 21,079
Default

Take it easy guys! Those pictures are still only mock up and knowing detailed John is, the final design will have all the bugs worked out. No need to jump the gun and nit pick the setup as I'm sure this is not the final product but rather an indication of what it will look like.

I think this is a well laid out setup and it should generate HP numbers that will impress even the hardest of critics.
Imo000 is offline  
Old 01-05-2007, 02:38 PM
  #21  
hans14914
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
hans14914's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 2,365
Default

John is using the same pro-vent air/oil separator that Dave is using on the 928SP kits. Last i spoke with him, he was planning on mounting it on the passenger side of the engine bay, just past where the plumbing comes through the inner fender. There is about a weeks worth of work remaining in various plumbing before this car could be considered assembled, All the parts are sitting in his dining room waiting to be installed. Looked like he bought out an Earls Plumbing rep when i was down there last. I know that John doesn't want to be a part of rennlist any more, so i will do the best i can to share information about this build. I am sure there are other local members that have gone down to look at the progress over the past few months, but if anyone has any questions, i will try to answer them. I have been down several times, and seen the kit develop, If its something i cant answer, i can ask john and make sure you guys get the response.
Hans
hans14914 is offline  
Old 01-05-2007, 02:41 PM
  #22  
AO
Supercharged
Rennlist Member
 
AO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Back in Michigan - Full time!
Posts: 18,899
Default

Originally Posted by hans14914
John is using the same pro-vent air/oil separator that Dave is using on the 928SP kits. Last i spoke with him, he was planning on mounting it on the passenger side of the engine bay, just past where the plumbing comes through the inner fender. There is about a weeks worth of work remaining in various plumbing before this car could be considered assembled, All the parts are sitting in his dining room waiting to be installed. Looked like he bought out an Earls Plumbing rep when i was down there last. I know that John doesn't want to be a part of rennlist any more, so i will do the best i can to share information about this build. I am sure there are other local members that have gone down to look at the progress over the past few months, but if anyone has any questions, i will try to answer them. I have been down several times, and seen the kit develop, If its something i cant answer, i can ask john and make sure you guys get the response.
Hans
Cool!
AO is offline  
Old 01-05-2007, 02:46 PM
  #23  
bcdavis
Super User
 
bcdavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3,348
Default

Awesome. I'm glad to see he got the car finished, and in a pretty reasonable timeframe as well. Are the intercooler(s) hidden? Or to be added later? I know he was really into the idea of air to air intercooling his setup.
bcdavis is offline  
Old 01-05-2007, 03:03 PM
  #24  
Hacker-Pschorr
Super Moderator - Cracklin' Rosie
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
Hacker-Pschorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Up Nort
Posts: 10,062,700
Default

Originally Posted by Imo000
Take it easy guys! Those pictures are still only mock up and knowing detailed John is, the final design will have all the bugs worked out. No need to jump the gun and nit pick the setup as I'm sure this is not the final product but rather an indication of what it will look like.

I think this is a well laid out setup and it should generate HP numbers that will impress even the hardest of critics.
Who needs to take it easy? I don't see anyone criticizing this setup one bit.

Critics? I have never seen anyone question the performance potential of a turbo 928. Many people have been and are concerned over the complexity of such a setup. A complexity that cannot be avoided with turboĺs.
Is this a bad thing? Not necessarily, just the way it is.
Hacker-Pschorr is offline  
Old 01-05-2007, 03:03 PM
  #25  
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User
 
Imo000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 21,079
Default

Originally Posted by bcdavis
Awesome. I'm glad to see he got the car finished, and in a pretty reasonable timeframe as well. Are the intercooler(s) hidden? Or to be added later? I know he was really into the idea of air to air intercooling his setup.
That's becasue A-A ICs are much more efficient.
Imo000 is offline  
Old 01-05-2007, 03:06 PM
  #26  
AO
Supercharged
Rennlist Member
 
AO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Back in Michigan - Full time!
Posts: 18,899
Default

Originally Posted by Imo000
That's becasue A-A ICs are much more efficient.
Take it back Imo000. You might get your own monkey video if you're not careful.

AO is offline  
Old 01-05-2007, 03:06 PM
  #27  
Hacker-Pschorr
Super Moderator - Cracklin' Rosie
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
Hacker-Pschorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Up Nort
Posts: 10,062,700
Default

Originally Posted by Imo000
That's becasue A-A ICs are much more efficient.
You just had go there didn't you?

If air to water is good enough for the Veyron - it's good enough for me!

I do agree, in a perfect world air/air is a good way to go. Problem is, routing an air / air is much more complex than an air to water. Routing fluid hoses in and around the body is much easier than 3" metal pipe.
Hacker-Pschorr is offline  
Old 01-05-2007, 03:16 PM
  #28  
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User
 
Imo000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 21,079
Default

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
You just had go there didn't you?

If air to water is good enough for the Veyron - it's good enough for me!

I do agree, in a perfect world air/air is a good way to go. Problem is, routing an air / air is much more complex than an air to water. Routing fluid hoses in and around the body is much easier than 3" metal pipe.
Yup. I agree and I take back my efficiencypsot too... ... I almost forgot about that moneky video!!
Imo000 is offline  
Old 01-05-2007, 03:18 PM
  #29  
Jim bailey - 928 International
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Anaheim California
Posts: 11,542
Default

But air is FREE weighs nothing, has no reservoir, no pump, no electrical circuit.,and an ulnimited supply.... We have enough trouble just keeping water in the engine cooling system
Jim bailey - 928 International is offline  
Old 01-05-2007, 03:19 PM
  #30  
Hacker-Pschorr
Super Moderator - Cracklin' Rosie
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
Hacker-Pschorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Up Nort
Posts: 10,062,700
Default

Originally Posted by Jim bailey - 928 International
But air is FREE
Damn tree hugger
Hacker-Pschorr is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: