Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Koni vs. Bilstein vs. Boge question (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/317300-koni-vs-bilstein-vs-boge-question.html)

RichS 1986928 12-11-2006 06:07 PM

Koni vs. Bilstein vs. Boge question

Re-using the Stock springs in my 86.0...

I'm quite happy with the stiffness of the stock springs, they maintain
ride height so I'm pretty sure there's some life in them. I'm looking to
replace only shocks because they are stock and I'm at 125K miles.

Does anyone have experience with Koni vs. Bilstein vs. Boge vs. ??? shocks?
When used in conjuction with Stock springs?

danglerb 12-11-2006 06:13 PM

I don't know much technically, but I never really considered anything but Bilstein as a replacement.

linderpat 12-11-2006 06:31 PM

I put Koni's on my previous '84, and they worked well for me. Good stiff ride that handled well at speed in the turns....

soontobered84 12-11-2006 06:40 PM

I also am very interested in this thread since the stepson is needing replacements all the way around
I put adjustable Konis on the rear of the black car and was amazed how well it rode after

bgibby 12-11-2006 07:45 PM

Rich,

I put new Boges on my ex- early 86 at about the same mileage. I was happy with the performance over the old shocks- strictly spirited street driving.

Brian
90GT

bgibby 12-11-2006 07:46 PM

Rich,

Also, if you haven't done this already, now would be the ideal time to replace your motor mounts as you'll be part way there when you do the front shocks.

Brian
90GT

RDS928S 12-11-2006 07:56 PM

RichS,

I replaced my oem leaking shocks last winter on my 86S with koni adjustable units.
Total job was around $750 including corner balance/ride height adjustment and alignment.
I wished I had swapped out the springs too as it wouldn not have added to the labor.
The stock springs are not a good match for Konis dialed up for stiffness.

Now I will have to fork over another $700 to change out the springs as it is virtually the same job as the shocks.

RDS

Bill Ball 12-11-2006 08:18 PM

I had new Konis dyno'd, and the results indicated that the Konis are not damped enough for stiff springs such as those on my 89 with sport suspension option. They should be fine for standard springs according to the suspension shop where I had them dyno'd. Boge are probably good, as well. I have a set of Bilsteins now and I'm not sure yet, but they may be best suited for sport suspension rather than standard springs, but I haven't run them that way yet.

6.0-928S 12-11-2006 08:34 PM

My car originally had the M474 sport suspension. I removed them some years back to go to a harder adjustable Koni setup. I still have the M474 assemblies if you're interested, PM me.
Thanks, Hammer

the flyin' scotsman 12-11-2006 08:36 PM

Great question but I think you'll find that most of us who have changed/replaced the original shocks did so because they were wore out so there's little comparison from a new set of Konis to a new set of Bilsteins and/or Boges. Money and time being large factors although now I've done it once I'd like to try a set of Konis.

My experience was from the stock springs and Boge shocks to a new set of Eibach and Bilsteins. With the old tierd set the car would 'wallow' if pushed too fast through some bends; the same bends are taken flat with the new set up. The old set up absorbed most small bumps and speed ripples; the new set up rattles your teeth. Super high speed got the car 'nervous' with the old; steady as a rock with the new.

The only other changes made have been an alignment and new PS2 tyres.

the flyin' scotsman 12-11-2006 08:37 PM

Hammer.............dibs on that set up for our good freinf Garth..............he's been looking for an age for a set. Sending PM

ROG100 12-11-2006 08:43 PM

On my GTS I am going with stock boges and Eibach springs. Road use only. Chose the springs because of price compared to stock. Work not done yet so cannot tell how it rides. Prefer the stock setup because others I have driven seem harsher.
My springs were sagging at 90k miles and need replacing stock units were expensive.
We will see.

BC 12-11-2006 08:53 PM

Bilsteins seem more.... Robust then the Konis, quality wise. Because of Bill's findings with the Konis I may have to hold off from installing them and the Hypercoil 600/400 kit from Devek and have Koni possibly revalve them.

BC 12-11-2006 08:54 PM

OEM manufacturers spend alot of time and money making sure the ride is good but the handling is taught. They don't always get it right.

Garth S 12-11-2006 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by the flyin' scotsman
Hammer.............dibs on that set up for our good freinf Garth..............he's been looking for an age for a set. Sending PM

Thanks for the thought guys! :thumbup: - but I currently have the '85 euro S #204 springs ( M474) installed over Konis .... a pretty nice combo on the 200# lighter 16v car. :cheers: