Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   I'm in the 32V club? (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/296617-im-in-the-32v-club.html)

PorKen 09-03-2006 10:59 PM

I'm in the 32V club?

I just BIN'ed a local 86.5! A completely spur o' the moment purchase.

It was so cheap, I had to chance it. It was relisted so I hope there's no TBF or other disasters in store!

Check out the piping! (Although the ad says some seams are splitting.)

https://members.rennlist.com/porken/b9_1.jpg

If everything works out, I'll finally have a 32V to play with! :jumper:

edco 09-03-2006 11:13 PM

Congrats :jumper:

I just looked at the auction. I just don't see how you could go wrong with that one :thumbup:

Abby Normal 09-03-2006 11:25 PM

Same interior as mine. I added black mats with red lettering and they look really good. I like them better than the red ones that came in it.

Congrats!

Airflite40 09-04-2006 12:28 AM

nice. "recent trans work" could spell trouble, depending on who did the work. what is it with white cars for you? before you know it, you'll remove a bunch of vaccuum lines, cover the side markers, and put in fixed headlights! kinda scary to pull the trigger without even seeing a blurry, poorly lit picture of the dirty engine bay. who knows, maybe you'll trow an iron lung on this one?

PorKen 09-04-2006 12:32 AM

The trans work worries me too. How long is the 'TransMedic' going to last?

I don't think I'll be quite as radical with this one. I might put projectors in the pop-ups this time?

A Twin-Screw does sound easier than replacing the vacuum lines. :D

heinrich 09-04-2006 12:53 AM

150029261691 item

Great find :D

F451 09-04-2006 01:11 AM

Nice Ken! :thumbup:

Ed

PorKen 09-04-2006 01:26 AM

I hope it 'runs and drives' as advertised. Tough to find an 86.5, in any condition. ;)

White isn't my favorite, just what I seem to buy. And that interior? That's going to take some getting used to. Prolly looks cool in person, though. Doesn't look like it has the knobs for extra air?

I'm really only interested in the engine, and the S4 suspension/floorpan, for more things to think up.

It's not in the registry (1955). Not many 'lipstic red' interiors in the registry, BTW.

http://www.928registry.org/1985-992.jpg
clic pic for reaction

Darien 09-04-2006 03:05 AM

Congrats :rockon: Now you can test your PorKen your own 32V :thumbup:

PorKen 09-04-2006 03:26 AM

First thing: change the timing belt, check the valve timing, then put a PorKensioner on there, and get some miles on it! :eek:

(BTW, the interior above is from the registry, I can only hope it's nearly as nice.)

SharkSkin 09-04-2006 04:21 AM

Very nice, Ken! Knobs for rear air.... hmmm... maybe it's a custom setup, with the knobs hidden inside the rear glovebox shown in the last pic you posted... :rolleyes: :icon107:

:p

JEC_31 09-04-2006 10:43 AM

Nice score.

While the can-can or lipstick red is personally not my cup of tea, it is quite rare. It won't be easy to restore, but you like a challenge.

Watching the for-sale market for years now, it ~seems~ that the most popular 928 color combos in 1986 were black-over-black and gold-over-brown. Your new toy is the only white-over-red that I can recall.

Was this color a special-order only option?

lardog 09-04-2006 10:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i love my 86.5 White with gold-over-brown

H2 09-04-2006 11:22 AM

White on a 928 rocks! I'll be interested in your first-hand observations using the Portensioner on the 32V.

Harvey

PorKen 09-04-2006 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by SharkSkin
Very nice, Ken! Knobs for rear air.... hmmm... maybe it's a custom setup, with the knobs hidden inside the rear glovebox shown in the last pic you posted...

Originally Posted by PorKen
(BTW, the interior above is from the registry, I can only hope it's nearly as nice.)

16V guys...sheesh :rolleyes:

pmotts 09-04-2006 12:52 PM

Great, another uppity 32V owner :)

Congrats, Ken :burnout:

Giovanni 09-04-2006 01:04 PM

It will be until you own a white 928 that you will fall in love with the color :-).

Congrats with the purchase!

SharkSkin 09-04-2006 01:49 PM

LOL... OK, I Kinda thought that's what you meant, but I couldn't help but give you a little poke about it. :D http://members.rennlist.com/sharkski...eener-Poke.gif

SharkSkin 09-04-2006 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by pmotts
Great, another uppity 32V owner :)

Yeah, I know... they can be such a pain... :p

Nicole 09-04-2006 02:04 PM

Wow, Ken! You'll have to drive that one with your sunglasses on - or else the red is going to blind you. But you sure won't encounter many other 928s with that color combo.

Back when I grew up in good cold Germany. people said that cars with bright red interior are driven by "easy girls", if you know what I mean... ;)

Abby Normal 09-04-2006 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Nicole
Back when I grew up in good cold Germany. people said that cars with bright red interior are driven by "easy girls", if you know what I mean... ;)

I've always thought the bright can-can read interior is sexy... Now it all makes sense :)

Greg Z 09-04-2006 02:32 PM

I will trade you my tan interior in a heartbeat for your red, and pay all the shipping.

lardog 09-04-2006 02:34 PM

what is a Portensioner?

PorKen 09-04-2006 02:42 PM

Por-K-ensioner

https://members.rennlist.com/porken/...nerAirPump.jpg
clic pic for thread

pmotts 09-04-2006 04:36 PM

...Ken's an easy girl??? :burnout:

Originally Posted by Nicole

ew928 09-04-2006 10:27 PM

Seen 2 lipstick red interiors.
One is in CT with black? exterior. No sunroof. 83 I think.
The other is a pristine white. Import from Saudi Arabia. With door ID plate
in arabic script. That was at the Frenzy in DC 2 years ago. Owned by a lady.

The shocking red interior is pretty cool. Never thought Ken is/will be an easy girl.
Hope the interior is in decent shape and easy to restore.
The Saudi interior had white piping.

Ernest (NYC)

PorKen 09-04-2006 11:14 PM

I'm easy, but I'm not cheap. ;)

JHowell37 09-05-2006 04:49 AM

I considered that one, but ended up with one closer to home and probably in worse condition.

PorKen 09-06-2006 12:38 AM

I'm such a lucky bastard

https://members.rennlist.com/porken/86_5PorKen.jpg

Original 85-86 air tubes? Yes...I think so. :)
Do you think those brakes look too big for those little wheels? ;)

https://members.rennlist.com/porken/86_5Interior.jpg

Interior's OK, I guess. :D

https://members.rennlist.com/porken/86_5Interior2.jpg

ew928 09-06-2006 02:13 AM

Nice. Much beddah than the fuzzy pictures.

So how does it drive?

Ernest (NYC)
You lucky dog you.

Nicole 09-06-2006 02:23 AM

Do you think those brakes look too big for those little wheels? ;)

No, those little wheels are too small for these brakes... Get some 17 or 18 inchers (depending on how much abuse your back can take...).

SharkSkin 09-06-2006 04:17 AM

Very nice, Ken. The rough edges will smooth right out. Looks real presentable in fact, except the console side cover and the rear glovebox lid. How's she run?

JEC_31 09-06-2006 09:20 AM

Wow, your pictures show it to be in much better condition that I had anticipated - congrats!

And how do those 32 valves feel to your SOPTP testing?

Shane 09-06-2006 11:11 AM

Ken!! Wow about time! Now this makes me happy! :D And you couldn't have picked a nicer model year to go with!! Congrats!!

PorKen 09-06-2006 12:53 PM

I've yet to drive it, or even start it! I was only dropping off the deposit, until I can embezzle the cash in my PayPal account. I mainly wanted to see that the car was for real, and not a scam.

I'm afraid that the timing belt has not been changed in many, many, years, so I didn't want to spin the roulette wheel needlessly! :eek:

The guy says it runs nicely, and I don't have a reason to doubt him. Story is with the trans is that it has sat for a couple of years, and the first time he went to try and sell it, it puked trans oil all over the place. So he had it resealed! What that means, I dunno, but he said it cost quite a bit.

Shane,

It's comforting to know that for the next few months there's an unsupervised 86.5 'U-Pull-It' yard only 100 miles away. :evilgrin:

There are some problems of course. Some jacking issues, cracked windshield, lots of overspray, 'sealed' sunroof. Not shown is the warped headliner from the leaky sunroof, and the front spoiler which has been rivited together in several places.

https://members.rennlist.com/porken/86_5Problems.jpg

What's up the pod?

https://members.rennlist.com/porken/86_5Pod.jpg

Loaded 09-06-2006 01:57 PM

great catch!

AO 09-06-2006 02:03 PM

Looks pretty nice Ken. I'm sure the reason for the tras fluid evywhere was that when you let them sit for too long the fluid in the trans cooler flows back to the trans and overflows the system. It probably wasn't a problem. Not sure what resealing would entail.

Giovanni 09-06-2006 02:09 PM

I even like the interior color. What are the options on the car?

PorKen 09-06-2006 02:22 PM

I didn't look for a build sticker or even in the glovebox for the dealer booklet.

It doesn't have heated seats, and no rear air. The rear compartment is a bit ratty...maybe I'll put in a black rear air system. Since I was a teenager, I always thought the rear air was the coolest (irregardless of whether it works well).

I didn't check for sport shocks. If it has LSD, I'll flip out! :D

The vinyl isn't in too bad of a shape, but this car begs for black leather Champagne dash/pod/console/etc.

ew928 09-06-2006 07:26 PM

Did PO just run a bead of caulk and close the sunroof for good?
Wonder if it's just clogged roof drains.

Pod cries for a Paul Champagne treatment.
Unless there's going to be lots o' gauges to be mounted on top of pod.

I'm praying for LSD.
Ken, can you get custom plates "EZY GRL"

Ernest (NYC)

Darien 09-07-2006 12:49 AM

And where might this be :evilgrin:

Shane,

It's comforting to know that for the next few months there's an unsupervised 86.5 'U-Pull-It' yard only 100 miles away. :evilgrin:

PorKen 09-07-2006 02:19 AM

Got her home!

Looks like someone removed the rear air unit (M570). :( The piping is still there under the car, though.

C02 - Catalytic converter
018 - Extended hub steering wheel
158 - Radio "Monterey"
319 - Changed step-up of fan
418 - Side protection moldings
490 - Sound system
494 - Additional amplifier
533 - Anti-theft device
570 - Air conditioner with improved efficiency

bcdavis 09-07-2006 03:34 AM

Leaving in something as heavy as the rear AC unit is completely out of character!

PorKen 09-07-2006 01:48 PM

This is such an awesome machine. It is so much more modern under the skin than the '81.

But that thing...that thing is just a monster. It's intimidating. :eek:

https://members.rennlist.com/porken/86_5Engine.jpg

So far I've API'd (after purchase inspection):

Door lock button works
Underhood light works!
Interior light delay works
Toothed belt light works if unplugged for 3mins (or is grounded under the cover)

Magic Blower
Torque tube/converter bearing noise in neutral, and at ~35MPH
Hatch release doesn't
A/C is working, but blows warm air at idle - hot water valve?
Stumbles on acceleration
Various lights burned out
A/C fan inop (even when plugged in)
Vapor recovery Y-connector broken

Antenna motor missing ;)

How the heck do you check the ATF level with the passenger side resonnator in the way?

BC,

This is the cruiser, whereas the '81 is the bruiser. :) I don't mind having all this stuff if I can coach the 300HP (OK, 288 w/o the chip) out of this engine.

PorKen 09-09-2006 12:58 PM

My 'Rotella 5-40' fleet is getting bigger:

https://members.rennlist.com/porken/86_5Home.jpg

I checked the belt tension - good - not quite to the top of the Kempf window. No blowby, but the intake and plenums were flush with oil. The intake valley, of course, was a big pool of dyno-goo.

I started PorKen-izing the engine, and it is running better and better. Gone is the vapor recovery system. I connected the line from the tank directly to the line that dumps under the back bumper. Gone is the venturi Y-connector, and the 'oil-injection hose'. I put a new hose straight from the brake booster to the plenum. New manifold hoses, and I connected all the free hanging vacuum lines to the TB!

https://members.rennlist.com/porken/86_5PorKenizing.jpg

New distributor caps/rotors on Monday, along with a little cam advance, I think. :D The distributor caps were absolutely filthy inside, they haven't been changed since... well, they are date stamped (84)! The A/C aux fan does work, which is good because the fan clutch is toast.

Check all the fuses, most were wrong. I even did some interior work! OK, I replaced all six seat back knobs.

How did Porsche expect the crankcase to breathe, BTW? Through that little nipple on the side of the filler? I'm looking for a way to vent from the cap, like Louie did.

Shane 09-09-2006 01:55 PM

How did Porsche expect the crankcase to breathe, BTW? Through that little nipple on the side of the filler? I'm looking for a way to vent from the cap, like Louie did.

There is more to the crankcase breather system then that. See this thread:Breather Thread

PorKen 09-09-2006 02:18 PM

Thanks Shane, I shoulda been following that thread.

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/intake04.jpg

I saw the two hoses from the right cam cover, but they both go to the filler tower, correct? Or is there a T someplace? The TB was filthy, so I couldn't see if one went to the TB-elbow.

PorKen 09-09-2006 03:04 PM

Oh, it is quite fancy, isn't it - after a liberal dose of brake cleaner and using a fiber optic flashlight I took another peak down there.

The rear cam cover hose goes to the U, the front to the fill tower, and lastly a hose from the fill tower to the front of the U. BTW: there's nothing in PET, nor the WSM which show the 85-86 breather hoses, that I could find?

The hoses to the TB have got to go!

tdelarm 09-09-2006 04:21 PM

Nice stable PorKen. Looks like you'll be busy this winter.

Shane 09-09-2006 08:27 PM

Oh, it is quite fancy, isn't it - after a liberal dose of brake cleaner and using a fiber optic flashlight I took another peak down there.

The rear cam cover hose goes to the U, the front to the fill tower, and lastly a hose from the fill tower to the front of the U. BTW: there's nothing in PET, nor the WSM which show the 85-86 breather hoses, that I could find?

The hoses to the TB have got to go!

Exactly why I made them disappear. It is no wonder there is always some oil in the '85-86.5 intakes.

PorKen 09-09-2006 09:26 PM

Tim,

The neighbors probably think we deal drugs or something, with the hardware we've got parked out front. Everyone else on our block have 'regular' cars.

Now after driving around town, and getting a few miles on it, the driveline is starting to get better. The transmission is shifting properly, albeit with no kickdown, as the cable to the trans is buggered. The whine which I thought might be TT bearings seems to have gone away after filling up the transmission to the proper level! The engine is perkier, but it's not as peppy as the '81, yet. The car just feels massive compared to the '81, except when I hit the brakes, then it feels like a Lotus. :)

On the flip side, things are starting to konk out. The odometer stopped. The A/C blows hot. Dash lights are out. An oil leak off of the passenger cam cover makes a big cloud of smoke at every stoplight. :banghead:

I unplugged the key-in-ignition switch under the pod to stop the chime - I'd forgotten how annoying that is.

SharkSkin 09-12-2006 12:35 AM

Nice... Sounds like you really made out on the car. Once you get it ship-shape, it will be quite the cruiser. :thumbup:

tdelarm 09-12-2006 03:41 AM

Tim,

The neighbors probably think we deal drugs or something, with the hardware we've got parked out front. Everyone else on our block have 'regular' cars
Hey man...got any of that ganja left for sum regular folks?

PorKen 09-13-2006 01:06 AM

Dave,

Yeah, it's cool. Well, mechanically speaking. The paint is OK from afar, but the body is full of bondo - old timer at the Mercedes shop I get parts at said: 'that car's been to the fair'.

I'm over the purchase high, but now I realize that it's going to need a lot of parts just to safely drive. It's cool that nothing has been changed on the engine since the factory, then again, nothing has been changed since the factory! :eek:

https://members.rennlist.com/porken/86_5Versus81.jpg

It's nice to have two, ya know... I don't have to drive boring when I've got one down for service. :to_order:

SharkSkin 09-13-2006 01:38 AM

"All Original" :eek: http://members.rennlist.com/sharkski...y_Misc-Run.gif

Still, as much DIY as you do, sounds like the generally-advised $2-3K will get you a damn nice cruiser... barring major trans issues. That noise is most likely TT/TC bearings. Great car for $6500. Don't worry about the bondo, it helps traction. :p

PorKen 11-18-2006 12:17 AM

I finally got her all tuned up, and today put I put in Rotella 5-40 synthetic. I didn't drive it, as I was forcing myself to wait for a working PorKensioner, before changing the belt.

All I can say is - it was worth the wait!

On the way home tonight, returning from MalWart with another gallon of Rotella (forgot that two gals is just shy), a brap-brap-honda starts speeding past me, slows then speeds past. We happened to get off at the same exit, where I knew there was a two-into-one lane right after the offramp light. I put it in [2], and as I turned wide into the outside lane, put it to the floor. The Honda was literally frozen in place as I wooshed by, with that sweet turbine sound of the 32V. Then it hit second and the tail went side to side. :burnout: (Jepers, it really has to rev up there to get into second gear when you have [2] selected!)

And this is stock, but for an RMB + air pump delete (and a PorKensioner)! I replaced the Temp I and II sensors, spark plugs wires, plugs, distributor cap/rotor, almost all of the intake boots. I replaced the idle control valve, which is cool now that it works. I think the MAF may have been rebuilt. It has a slightly messy bead of clear silicon around the cover, and AFAIK works fine. I attached the overflow hose on the trans reservoir, which was previously dumping oil everywhere after sitting.

I replaced a bunch of fuses, fixed some vacuum leaks, now the A/C works fine. I took out the ratty placemats, and the carpet looks OK. Still the hatch release doesn't, the horn blows - a fuse, the windshield is cracked, sunroof is kaput and leaks, bondo... but man is this a sweet car for ~4 grand total so far. Especially from a few feet away. ;)

https://members.rennlist.com/porken/86_5Interior3.jpg

I had a local muffler shop make the RMB, after I showed them that the ball joint only need a simple flare to connect it. It's really not loud at all on the stock true-dual exhaust system on the 86.5. It doesn't have mandrel bends, but anything is going to flow better than the 20lb pumpkin!

https://members.rennlist.com/porken/86_5RMB.jpg

Shane was right when he said that "the 86.5 is the GTS of the OBs".

I'm reminded of that recent credit card commercial. "Vely, vely, vely revardink" :thumbup:

JKelly 11-18-2006 01:16 AM

the horn blows - a fuse

Unplug the 2-wire plug at the rear wiper motor, put in a fuse and try the horn. If your horn works without blowing a fuse, then the wiper relay or motor is probably toast. They are on the same circuit. Go figure.....

I have the same interior and piping except for my carpets are black. White, red, and black is exotic and manly :cheers:.

SharkSkin 11-18-2006 04:08 AM

You really made out on that "test mule", Ken!

PorKen 11-18-2006 01:18 PM

The piping was red originally, but has faded or has had the color removed somehow. I would like to vinyl paint the piping black, sometime.

I unplugged the horns, and plugged them back in, and now they toot! :) One of the horns had the connections reversed, but I shouldn't think that would matter. I plugged them both in the same way, and they work, but it probably just needed the terminals to be reseated.

The ABS is pretty neat. I tried it out on this tree covered back road, with thick piles of wet, squishy leaves, downhill, off-camber at about 10mph. Under full braking, the car shifted side to side slightly as the braking shifted wheel to wheel, but it did stop straight in a fairly short distance.

With the 2.20 rear end, even with the low 2700rpm torque peak, it's not quite quick enough for my taste, around town. I'm going to bump up the cam advance by 2° cam, and see how she does.

H2 11-18-2006 03:17 PM

PorKen,

Sounds your 928 isn't unlike most that haven't been babied by guys like us on the list. When you first get most 928s from regular joe's there are many little 'gotta-fix-its.' They get that way by sitting and through neglect.

I took my P-cars for a spin this morning on the curvies and found that the 968 needed a new DME relay in this colder weather. I had a spare and it starts easy again. My 928 can sit 2-4 weeks and immediately start up. I don't let that happen often but when the snow/salt hits, it stays in the garage.

Wonderful cars...and once you "learn them" the 2nd car is pretty easy to diagnose and fix....relatively speaking I guess. I'm still learning.

Good motoring...I love that white paint you have.

Harvey

GRTWHT 10-16-2007 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by PorKen (Post 3385615)
My 'Rotella 5-40' fleet is getting bigger:

https://members.rennlist.com/porken/86_5Home.jpg

I checked the belt tension - good - not quite to the top of the Kempf window. No blowby, but the intake and plenums were flush with oil. The intake valley, of course, was a big pool of dyno-goo.

I started PorKen-izing the engine, and it is running better and better. Gone is the vapor recovery system. I connected the line from the tank directly to the line that dumps under the back bumper. Gone is the venturi Y-connector, and the 'oil-injection hose'. I put a new hose straight from the brake booster to the plenum. New manifold hoses, and I connected all the free hanging vacuum lines to the TB!

https://members.rennlist.com/porken/86_5PorKenizing.jpg

1990 Mercedes 300TE (hundwagen)
1995 SAAB 900SE cabriolet

Hello there Ken, nice find even if it is driven from the wrong side of the road (laughs). So what is the benefit of removing the carbon canister and all of its hoses from the tank back to the engine intake.
I found my tank vent system blocked, the small vacuum diaphram from the engine plumbed back to front and some other P/O stuff ups. But now it's all returned to factory, so why remove all this??
Regards,
Glenn
'81 928
Melton, Victoria, Australia.

PorKen 10-16-2007 07:59 PM

Glenn,

This car is for sale, BTW. I have a gorgeous new 86.5 (here).

It's a small air leak, but mainly, it's just in the way. All that stuff makes it more difficult to work on the engine.

My new 86.5 has just about every factory hose, bracket, clip, etc. Although it'd be cool to leave it, as is, it is a pain to work on. So it'll all go in a box to 'protect it', along with the air pump, and cats.

https://members.rennlist.com/porken/86_5_Engine.jpg

GRTWHT 10-17-2007 11:09 PM

Yeh you're right Ken it is a little more difficult ot work on her with all that stuff fitted.
Very nice machine i'm sure you'll have no problems finding a buyer. Love the great white sharks :)

Glenn.