Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   I did it!!!! Whoopee! (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/281721-i-did-it-whoopee.html)

perrys4 06-22-2006 10:43 PM

I did it!!!! Whoopee!

I know it is no big deal for you backyard mechanics, but I just completed replacing my plugs, wires, O2 sensor, fuel filter, caps and rotors and the car starts and runs. I got it right the first time. It goes in for a smog check this weekend...last time barely passed NOX so I thought it was time for a tune up. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Just looking fo a pat on the back.... :-)

IcemanG17 06-22-2006 10:45 PM

Perry
Good job....everytime I can fix anything myself makes me quite happy!! With the help of the list of course!

MGW-Fla 06-22-2006 11:10 PM

Congrats Perry!! I know the feeling indeed. Sometimes the things that for others seem small time, but can be a big deal for me, & provide me a sense of accomplishment when working on my shark!

perrys4 06-22-2006 11:15 PM

It just seems that everytime I try to do something to it it turns out to be a huge job because of some stupid thing. I did notice that the throttle response seems quicker. Used to be a slight delay when you would rev the motor. I guess when I drive it to work tomorrow I can see if there really is an improvement. A couple of wires had the insulation cracked and the fuel filter looked to be the original. I am just glad it all went well. I just hope it passes smog so I don't have to try a cat.

michaelathome 06-22-2006 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by perrys4
I know it is no big deal for you backyard mechanics, but I just completed replacing my plugs, wires, O2 sensor, fuel filter, caps and rotors and the car starts and runs. I got it right the first time. It goes in for a smog check this weekend...last time barely passed NOX so I thought it was time for a tune up. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Just looking fo a pat on the back.... :-)

Can I borrow it this weekend? :roflmao:

Michael

perrys4 06-22-2006 11:33 PM

That is the only time I get to drive it anymore.......Ummmmmm, NO!

WICruiser 06-23-2006 12:08 AM

Great work. Let us know how the smog check goes. There may be alternatives to a cat job even if you don't get a pass the first time around.

j.kenzie@sbcglobal.net 06-23-2006 12:20 AM

Perry, Nice job.
I've done those things and none are quite as easy as they sound at first. I never thought I'd get the wires off my distributor cap and I still mixed up two wires. Engine ran rough and I smelled unburned fuel right away. I double-checked and fixed and all was OK. Still, anytime you do it all perfect the first time you should be proud.

macreel 06-23-2006 12:33 AM

Perry... way to go ! Little jobs lead to bigger ones;
i.e. you'll feel more confident when faced with other
'issues', you and Rennlist, and drop in (drinkers/)helpers.

Bad or marginal wires/dist cap etc can make life miserable.

G'luck.

alex70 06-23-2006 02:03 AM

Mr. Perry-

Great job. I Know how you feel. I'll pick up a tall brew for you at Chili's near MV mall on Crown Valley for your achievement. We can chat 928 stuff, tired of talking to the 911 930 crowd over there, although they are entertaining.

928ntslow 06-23-2006 03:36 AM

Ron...rockin man. BTW everyone, his name is Ron...(maybe if he had his name in his sig you would know that ;) )

I know you probably noticed an increase in smooth performance when we did the last belt session and used better caps. Doing what you did will make a noticable improvement for sure! You are going to fall in love with your car all over again!

This is the way to start. Get confident with the minor things and then progressively move to the tougher stuff. Soon you find that it is not tough at all. You just need someone to show you how to do it if you do not have the faith in yourself.

Best to you bro...enjoy your ride!

RyanPerrella 06-23-2006 05:50 AM

thanks for pointing that out Keith, I always think of him as "Perry"

Ron, who the hell's Perry?

atb 06-23-2006 05:52 AM

You did better than I did Perry. I changed out the O2 sensor and changed the plugs. The last plug I changed out was #1. When I pulled to wire off the plug, it looked like a dip stick, drenched in oil. So, I got the extreme pleasure (not) of pulling the passenger side cam cover and replacing the spark plug hole seal ( I did them all although just the one failed) and put in a new cam cover gasket). Now, my temp gauge is dead and my oil pressure gauge is pegged at 5+.

Anyone have any idea what I might have done during the plug/camcover / O2 sensor job to tweak my gauges?

Heading out to emissions testing tomorrow AM. Failed cruise mode last week, hopefully this will take care of it.

MGW-Fla 06-23-2006 09:16 AM

Oh man, I hate the deal where you attempt to fix one thing, then either run into other problems or you do fix it, then realize it somehow caused something else to fail that you'd think would have nothing to do with the original problem you were attempting to fix in the first place!!!

Ok.... to correct myself, Congrats Ron!!!
Lets get everyone to put at least a first name in their signature line, sure would help those of us with limited memory capacity on here!

Garth S 06-23-2006 09:21 AM

Perry,
Any job finished where the car runs, no more than two bandaids have been required, and there is still one cool one left from a six-pak for quiet enjoyment with a self satisfied smirk as the tools are put away ..... well, that is an unqualified success!