Notices
928 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: 928 Specialists

Car's faster than ever=?

 
Old 05-22-2005, 04:32 AM
  #1  
mpesik
Banned
Thread Starter
 
mpesik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on a huge ball
Posts: 7,849
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car's faster than ever=?

Hi there.
I used to Bitch how my car was inversely affected to Temperature/Horsepower! It was difficult getting anyone on the Renn to Concur with me!
I'd like to state as of the last few days, this is no longer an issue! The car is as fast as 320 hp. ought to be. Even upon takeoff! Having Mastered the Manual shifting techniques of Auto the takeoff times are impressive.

What did I do........ I haven't gotten a bloody damn clue! I'm very happy with the car now. I still have this continuous stupid stench of fuel though and hot start problems!
I'm just worried that on one warm/hot Day, I'm going to drive her and she's gonna go back to being a pig.
Any ideas of what might have happened!?
BTW-My medications nor dosage have not been altered in any way!
Mike
mpesik is offline  
Old 05-22-2005, 12:18 PM
  #2  
Garth S
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Garth S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 7,203
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mpesik
. .....Ithis is no longer an issue! The car is as fast as 320 hp. ought to be. Even upon takeoff! Having Mastered the Manual shifting techniques of Auto the takeoff times are impressive.

I still have this continuous stupid stench of fuel though and hot start problems!
I'm just worried .......... she's gonna go back to being a pig.
Any ideas of what might have happened!?
BTW-My medications nor dosage have not been altered in any way!
Mike
Have you lost weight? - or left that heavy 44 Mag at home?
As to the other issues, you might consider a friendly swap of your MAF and LH into a strong running S4: we did Jeffs MAF into my car - and couldn't even get a start = MAF replacement time.
Also, the resistance checks of the Temp II sensor revealed what?
Garth S is offline  
Old 05-22-2005, 12:36 PM
  #3  
bigs
Moderator - Dean of Rennlist, "I'm Listening"

Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
bigs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Provo, Utah
Posts: 19,484
Likes: 0
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

With the smell of fuel and hot start problems, you might have a leaky injector(s).

Not sure why that would improve performance though.

I had a leaky injector problem, and the symptoms were:

1. Cold starts were a snap - because the leaked fuel had had enough time to evaporate
2. If I turned the car off, then immediately re-started it - again no problem, because there hadn't been enough time for the leaky injector to flood the engine yet.
3. However, if I had run the car, turned it off, waited 5-10 minutes or more, then tried to re-start it, it acted like it was flooded (which it was!). Had to floor the accelerator pedal for it to start.

As a side note, if you're smelling a lot of fuel... might want to get that looked at pretty soon - and carry a fire extinguisher along with you!
bigs is offline  
Old 05-22-2005, 02:45 PM
  #4  
all4woody
User
 
all4woody's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Fountain Inn, SC
Posts: 264
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Is the fuel smell inside the car?
I had a plastic T at the charcoal cannister break (probably just age) and the fuel smell from the gas tank vaccume line would fill the car. Take off the wheel well cover and check it out.
all4woody is offline  
Old 05-22-2005, 05:11 PM
  #5  
perrys4
The Lady's Man
Rennlist Member
 
perrys4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: south O.C. california
Posts: 10,444
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Mine feels better now to but I think it is because while fixing the trottle cable I tightened up the slack in the cables. Much more responsive. I do notice that my car runs better when it is nice and cool outside.
perrys4 is offline  
Old 05-22-2005, 09:23 PM
  #6  
mpesik
Banned
Thread Starter
 
mpesik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on a huge ball
Posts: 7,849
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by all4woody
Is the fuel smell inside the car?
I had a plastic T at the charcoal cannister break (probably just age) and the fuel smell from the gas tank vaccume line would fill the car. Take off the wheel well cover and check it out.
Hi wally-No T is fine-thankyou
mpesik is offline  
Old 05-22-2005, 09:33 PM
  #7  
mpesik
Banned
Thread Starter
 
mpesik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on a huge ball
Posts: 7,849
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by perrys4
Mine feels better now to but I think it is because while fixing the trottle cable I tightened up the slack in the cables. Much more responsive. I do notice that my car runs better when it is nice and cool outside.
Hi Perrys4.
I always fart around with the cables. The Transmission cable is adjusted that if there's any large variation in temp.-from afternoon temp.to eveningtemps, I may not be able to downshift manually to third!
My buddy got himself a Mazda 6 just recently(auto). He wanted to show me what it could do. We took her out on the highway. From a stoplight he floors it!. He might as well have been picking his nose with his right hand. I laughed.
I told him to play with his car as if it were a standard. ....Nice difference, he was excited!
mpesik is offline  
Old 05-22-2005, 09:33 PM
  #8  
mpesik
Banned
Thread Starter
 
mpesik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on a huge ball
Posts: 7,849
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bigs
With the smell of fuel and hot start problems, you might have a leaky injector(s).

Not sure why that would improve performance though.

I had a leaky injector problem, and the symptoms were:

1. Cold starts were a snap - because the leaked fuel had had enough time to evaporate
2. If I turned the car off, then immediately re-started it - again no problem, because there hadn't been enough time for the leaky injector to flood the engine yet.
3. However, if I had run the car, turned it off, waited 5-10 minutes or more, then tried to re-start it, it acted like it was flooded (which it was!). Had to floor the accelerator pedal for it to start.

As a side note, if you're smelling a lot of fuel... might want to get that looked at pretty soon - and carry a fire extinguisher along with you!

Hi bigs. How you fix?
mpesik is offline  
Old 05-22-2005, 09:42 PM
  #9  
mpesik
Banned
Thread Starter
 
mpesik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on a huge ball
Posts: 7,849
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Garth S
Have you lost weight? - or left that heavy 44 Mag at home?
As to the other issues, you might consider a friendly swap of your MAF and LH into a strong running S4: we did Jeffs MAF into my car - and couldn't even get a start = MAF replacement time.
Also, the resistance checks of the Temp II sensor revealed what?
Hi Garth S.
Once again, even after thinking, I have no idea what is going on?! I will be a happy driver with ample power. I could stop, do my business and then restart. I will then proceed and the power is lacking. I'll stop the car, do my business and then restart. Ta - Da, I'm happy again.
What is up? Satan.
mpesik is offline  
Old 05-22-2005, 10:09 PM
  #10  
bigs
Moderator - Dean of Rennlist, "I'm Listening"

Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
bigs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Provo, Utah
Posts: 19,484
Likes: 0
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mpesik
Hi bigs. How you fix?
I had people who actually know what they're doing (as opposed to me) install all new injectors.

I think it's possible to rebuild/repair injectors, but the price difference was so minimal that I decided to just go with new ones.
bigs is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: