Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Two more hours in the garage...PICS (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/205011-two-more-hours-in-the-garage-pics.html)

Big Dave 05-20-2005 01:28 AM

Two more hours in the garage...PICS

3 Attachment(s)
It may be POSSIBLE to install valve covers with the engine in the car, but it ain't fun. The rear and bottom bolts are a @#$% to get to, and several other pipes and stuff need to be shifted out of the way just to get a wrench on the bolts. Allen-head bolts aren't an advantage here since you need to get at them straight on.....hex head would have been easier I think.

Anyway, two hours later the driver's side valve cover and oil filler neck are on. I'm on break from the car until Sunday. With three sons ages 7 and under (plus one on the way) it's time to spend the weekend getting to know them again. :D

Paul D 05-20-2005 01:41 AM

Dave - Wow! That looks awesome! I can see this is a labor of love. Great call on the kids.... I have 3 little ones of my own and I never miss an opportunity to let them know who I am. Keep up the great work!

BrianG 05-20-2005 01:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I like the RED!!

Helstrm 05-20-2005 08:19 AM

I feel you on those bolts... I cursed Randy's Shark for hours getting those 2 bolts on...

AO 05-20-2005 09:45 AM

Looking good! If I'm around (read: able to trick the wife to let me go) on Sunday, I'll give you a call.

Big Dave 05-20-2005 11:38 AM

Andrew:

I'll let you know what time I plan on resuming work on Sunday. My remaining tasks include (as far as I can remember):

1. Install passenger side valve cover
2. Hook up vacuum lines
3. Hook up alternator (gotta drop it again to put the cover back on)
4. Install and hook up A/C compressor
5. Plug ECU stuff back in (near fuse panel)
6. Install fuel rails & intake manifold
7. Attach passenger side TB cover
8. Attach distributor caps & rotors
9. Install spark plugs
10. Install plug wires
11. Hook up oil breather lines
12. Install belts for A/C, steering and alternator
13. Install radiator hoses
14. Attach pulley and fan
15. Install fuel injection harness
16. Fill steering system with ATF
17. Add coolant
18. Add oil
19. Install radiator shrouds, intake tubes, belly pan
20. Change A/C drier (and seals on drier)
21. Hook up battery
22. Prime system
23. Install fuel pump relay
24. Cross fingers and turn key.

Not much left huh? (j/k)

LESS THAN 2 WEEKS UNTIL S.I.T.M. :rockon:

AO 05-20-2005 11:43 AM

Dave if you have a battery maintainer, now might be a good time to hook it up so that the battery is fully charged when you go to crank. If you need one, let me know, you can use mine. But I think you can get one at Murry's/Autozone for like $10.

Big Dave 05-20-2005 11:44 AM

Andrew...lol...I sold my maintainer to Ell back when my 928 was a daily driver.

SharkSkin 05-20-2005 12:12 PM

Dave, just a thought here.... you might want to disconnect that AC clutch wire until you get the system charged. IIRC the compressor will spin even with the AC switch off, if you set the HVAC to defrost. Easy to accidentally fry the comp...

jyoon 05-20-2005 12:39 PM

why wouldn't you install the heads before reinstalling the motor? does the motor not fit with the heads in place?

Big Dave 05-20-2005 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by jyoon
why wouldn't you install the heads before reinstalling the motor? does the motor not fit with the heads in place?

I did install the heads before dropping the motor in. The covers for the heads, however, weren't back from powder-coating yet, so I couldn't put them on before dropping the engine in.

FYI...the heads cannot be removed/installed with the engine in the car for model years 85 and 86 because of the use of head studs.

SteveG 05-20-2005 01:03 PM

Rear and Bottom bolt on cam cover

Dave: Are you referring to the cam seal cover, the small round black plastic cover at either end of the valve covers? The passenger side rear is extremely hard to get to, it is up against the firewall. I have a small drip that I think is coming from this seal. I know you aren't in the mood to wait for feedback, but I have a "deep offset" 10mm wrench on order from Performance Prods (automotion.com) in hopes that will solve this problem. I haven't found any wrench that will go in there. If anybody has a solution please let us know.

Big Dave 05-20-2005 01:10 PM

Nope, I'm referring to the big ole' red cover you see in the picture. The bolts near the rear and bottom are in locations that make it difficult to torque them down.

1981 Shark 05-20-2005 04:43 PM

Hang in there, Dave!

BTW, I thought I was one of the few crazy enough to have 4 boys. However, yours' age spread is a little closer than mine! Kids AND being able to rebuild the engine, you truly are "The Man"! :bowdown:

David

Bill51sdr 05-20-2005 07:43 PM

Um, hate to say this Dave, but you did the easier of the two first :rolleyes: The passenger side one is no fun due to the breather vent at the rear of the cam cover. Just be patient, it can be done! Congratulations on a nice job, can't wait to hear about it roaring to life again! :)