Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Japanese S4 specs (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/204886-japanese-s4-specs.html)

BrianG 05-19-2005 12:57 PM

Japanese S4 specs

I just took possession of a Japanese import '87 S4, and of course there are some notable differences between it and my '86.5. I wonder which differences are "S" vs "S4" specs and which are "USA" vs "ROW" specs?

The VIN is a WPO ZZZ series with final numbers 9664. Somehow I doubt that there were 10,000 S4's built that year, but the car's VIN is listed in the DOT computer

This car seems to not have an alarm. It was only provided with the short key, but there is also no hood-open switch apparent. Certainly it's not in the same place as in the "S".

The front signal/fog light units have a small clear plastic fillet between them, which isn't apparent on the PET.

There is a wide body molding along the bottom of the car as well as the usual body-side molding.

There are no bumperettes on the rear bumper.

Pulling the shifter into "2" does not cause an immediate downshift into "2" as it did on the "S". That sucks!

It is notable quieter than the "S".

It is notably spritelier than the "S".

Comments?

Jim bailey - 928 International 05-19-2005 01:02 PM

Alarms were options,the clear is a ROW, the rocker moulding ??, Yes the S-4 auto starts in second gear, the S-4 does have more power,quite ?? rear pointing exhaust ?

BrianG 05-19-2005 01:04 PM

Thanks Jim!

I was referring to a rolling downshift into second gear. As in pulling the shifter back into "2" as decellerating for a corner.

And it is "road noise" that's notably less significant. Both tire rumble and wind noise.

Is the alarm generally listed on the "Option List" that is found on the car?

atb 05-19-2005 01:04 PM

Didn't the Japanese S4 have plumbing for air injection into the exhaust manifolds?

BrianG 05-19-2005 01:07 PM

My 86.5 car has plumbing for the AIR pump into the right side header.

Kolbjorn S 05-19-2005 02:11 PM

I just came back from Dubai after looking at a Japanese imported S4 AT;
- yes the VIN number was in the 9xxx range. According to the Porsche dealer this is consistent with LHD Japanese spec.
- body mouldings were not present on this car, but I have seen aftermarket ones (don't know who produce them).
- no rear bumperettes

jetrainor 05-19-2005 02:33 PM

I have some experience with a Japanese import S4....mine is an 87 auto, zzz designation..the only real quirky thing i have run across is it has a different twist in the fuel system....on the raised pod where the headlight adjuster and rear hatch release sit, there is a red paddle which apparently is a fuel shut-off switch...also it came equiped with a red emergency flare which mounts in the passenger footwell beside the brain. I have a certificate of authenticity from Porsche Cars North America which confirms it is a German car imported to Japan when new. It was a one owner car before being imported to Canada last summer.
1987 Euro Auto
silver/black

GChat 05-19-2005 03:36 PM

Hi Brian,

My 89 S4 hails from Japan also. A few other quirks you will find include a convex mirror on the driver's side, lights that light the left side of the road more than the right, I don't know about the cat temp sensor on an 87, but it is there on my 89. Neither of my 89s had the fuel switch mentioned above. Radio of course won't work as the frequency is different. Otherwise, virtually the same. My 89s shift down to 2nd once you move the selector. They will actually give you redline in 1st and second without doing the quick shift to 3rd and then back to 2nd.

I am not that far away so let me know if I can be of help.

Greg

BrianG 05-19-2005 04:22 PM

Thanks for that, guys! I wondered about that drivers side mirror. I thought that someone had gotten their wires crossed. It doesn't make any sense to have the wide angle mirror on the driver's side, regardless of which side of the road you are driving on. I suppose that this is a Japanese DOT mandated spec for all cars.

I guess I'm going to have to get new lamps from Jim........ or I can reinstall the 7" H4's and the chrome ring!

Is that headlight adjuster one of those notorious hydraulic things, or was it electric by '87.

Also.... there's going to be a 4th annual "Hot Cars and Hot Chicks Run to the Sun" the last week-end in Sept. We launch from Calgary Saturday morning, and roll gently through the twisties of the Alberta foothills, to Waterton and Glacier International Park, then down to St. Mary's Montana, and then across the Logan's Pass (the Road to the Sun), through West Glacier, and into Kalispell, Montana for an evening of food, fun and chuckles. Sunday's return trip is back to West Glacier and then south around the Glacier Park perimeter road (an extraordinary piece of Porcshe pavement) through East Glacier and back to St. Mary's. Then the leisurely cruise back through Alberta to Calgary. You Canuks, and Montana, Idaho, east Washington types ought to consider joining us. We are currently 2 or 3 928's and a pair of JapCrap TwinTurbo Stealth's ( my brother and the other 928's father). Its a great trip and the Wx is usually brilliant. PM me for more details.

Vilhuer 05-19-2005 04:28 PM

VIN on Japanise models use range starting from 9500 where 9561 is first normal production car. 9664 means it's 104th made for '87 model year. All other ROW models use production VIN range starting from 0061 and USA+Canada cars have third series also starting from 0061.

Garth S 05-19-2005 04:47 PM

You've got most of the differences already noted for Japanese market cars: My '88 is such a beast - rear thermal sensors on the CAT, (was) a convex mirror on the left - for a RHD country, all body features as 'euro' ZZZ cars, RHD 8" H4s ( which haven't annoyed anyone yet after tweaking the adjustment), ....
When using PET, you may also enter through the ROW vs NA gate, and all the bits are listed.
My auto redlines in every gear, pulls to 3rd and 2nd directly with the selector movement - and the 'classic' 2nd gear start unless the lever is moved to second - then, hold on! :)
You may never find an alarm system in a japanese car -a certain national pride about not stealing ....

jetrainor 05-19-2005 06:30 PM

The VIN info has me curious....my VIN is WP0ZZZ92ZHS841283
Driver side mirror is normal and the Cert of Authenticity lists 'German Equipment' as one of the options. Wondering if perhaps it wasn't spec'd for the Japanese market but wound up there anyway. Also, it had an afermarket satelite locator system with antennas at the windshield and back glass.
87 euro auto
silver/black

Garth S 05-19-2005 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by jetrainor
The VIN info has me curious....my VIN is WP0ZZZ92ZHS841283
Driver side mirror is normal and the Cert of Authenticity lists 'German Equipment' as one of the options. Wondering if perhaps it wasn't spec'd for the Japanese market but wound up there anyway. Also, it had an afermarket satelite locator system with antennas at the windshield and back glass.
87 euro auto
silver/black

Yes, my understanding is that both German market cars and even more unique Japanese market cars are circulating in Japan - practically all LHD cars in a RHD country. Your VIN is indicative of a ROW car: by contrast, my S4 ends in '95xx', so as Erkka reports, it is a Japanese market unit.

DoubleNutz 05-20-2005 01:05 AM

Ya know when I lived in Japan I distinctly remember my 928S4 being governor limited to 280HP. Now I am certain that could probably be done away with but until recently "ALL" cars in Japan that were registered for use on public roads were limited to 280HP. That was the principle difference beside the extended fender flares.

BrianG 05-20-2005 01:57 AM

Anyone know IF or HOW this was done?