Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   W/S Washer for 85 questions (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/204669-w-s-washer-for-85-questions.html)

Oldtee 05-18-2005 03:07 PM

W/S Washer for 85 questions

My w/s washer system is sick to say the least. The high intensety system works as advertised in the owners manual but the one for the windshield does not. I haven't tried the headlight washer yet.

Where is the pump for the winshield washer?

I see a pump from underneath looking up at the bottom of the bottle. How is that pump removed? It looks like it is attached by three rubber standoffs, but I can't tell for sure. Does the hose and electrical connection have enough lenght to disconnect an old pump and install a new one? Can this pump be replaced without removing the engine?

Lookin up at this pump I see a hose laying on the metal base of the pump. It is one of those things that in time will rub a hole in the hose. The hose looks like it goes by the pump and is not attached to it. Anybody know what hose this is? It looks like it could be a fuel line or a fuel return line. It has a webed fiber cover.

When I put fluid in the system most, if not all, pours out down the inside of the fender well on the engine side. What is the most likely source of that leak?

I am new to 928 and am just feeling my way around the car. I hope to someday be able to answer dumb questions like these. :rtfm:

Thanks

figgen 05-18-2005 03:42 PM

From memory:

Your washer bottle is located inside the front passenger side wheel well. Pull the wheel off and remove the plastic liner to reveal it. Check your bottle for leaks and there will be a primary pump located on the bottom of the bottle. Check for voltage when the washer lever ( in squirt mode) is activated and change pump if necessary. That should get you running. I believe the pump you are refereing to inside the engine bay is the intensive pump, used for a high pressure spray on the windshield. the headlight pump is located under the front reservoir of the car (by the rad).

Hope this helps

figgen 05-18-2005 03:43 PM

At the top of the filler neck is a metal portion that leads down to the bottle. It is very common for this metal piece to corrode, casuing a leak inside the engine compartment next to the wheel well

Oldtee 05-19-2005 12:26 AM

Thanks, I'll bet the metal sleve is toast. Did I hear or read somewhere that someone made replacements in stainless steel?

I have the bottle exposed. I see the pump located at the bottom of the bottle. Is that the main pump for the windshield? How hard is it to replace this part?

I thought the intensive washer pump was in front near the filler. Is that wrong?

One last question. Do you push the lever in the cockpit or pull it to get water on the windshield?

SteveG 05-19-2005 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by jlewis
Thanks, I'll bet the metal sleve is toast. Did I hear or read somewhere that someone made replacements in stainless steel?

I have the bottle exposed. I see the pump located at the bottom of the bottle. Is that the main pump for the windshield? How hard is it to replace this part?

I thought the intensive washer pump was in front near the filler. Is that wrong?

One last question. Do you push the lever in the cockpit or pull it to get water on the windshield?

Flip your blades up so they are suspended from the glass first, pull it.

As mentioned the metal sleeve inside the tank neck will rust leaving crud to fall to the bottom of the tank, if it does not bind the pump, it will surely collect in the hoses and nozzles. IIRC the filler tube running from the bay through fire wall has the same sleeve. I remove/replace both, got bupkas from the nozzles. I then removed the double hose thingy inside hood, replaced with single hose and new check valves, got dribble then nothing. Next is to remove nozzles and see if I get any flow from the pump. If you order new tank, be sure to ask if the pump access hole is open. Mine came sans pump of course but (surprise!!) there was no channel for the pump to insert; I had to drill out the access hole, not an easy job w/o a press.

Oldtee 05-19-2005 01:41 PM

Good reply. Now I am understanding and cleaning the bottom is a valuable suggestion. I presume the pump for the windshield is the one at the bottom of the tank, low down behind the rf wheel. The nozzles seem free. The intensity washer works and puts stuff on the windshield. Now I will work backwards.

I intend to pull the top fill rubber hose from the tank and put rubber hose up toward the filler. Then I can put a funnel in it and fill the bottle without all the fluid populating my feet and the the surrounding ground. That will only be a temp fix to get me to the Frenzy. Later I will pull the filler and do the job right.

Thanks.

Oldtee 05-19-2005 03:36 PM

Need is the mother of invention. Invention does not come without trial and error. I had some of both. The hose I put through the filler was too short and the fluid backed up into whatever was leaking. I took it out and put in a longer hose that went into the bottle. It filled without fluid loss.

The pump at the bottom of the bottle may be for the windshield on some cars but not on this one. That pump goes to the headlight washer.

When I tried to back fill the hose to the windshield washer pump(the small hose just above the sensor on the front of the bottle) it blew off the pump, which is located on the engine side of the wheel well. Since I can barely see the pump from the bottom and not at all from the top, and don't know what it looks like I can't tell where to replace the hose, even IF I can reach it. Will somebody who has wrestled this animal on an 85 to the ground please give me some encourgament that the pump can be replaced where it is without removing the engine or major parts thereof. please !

sage advice accepted.

:evilgrin:

SteveG 05-19-2005 04:39 PM

People have reported getting the thing out by reaching up from under the car. I could not make that work. There are 3 rubber inserts that stick thru grommets in the bay and anchor the pump, you can release those from the wheel well side and the pump will be loose. Those I could release, but the hoses attached to the pump were the problem. I was removing stuff like the coolant res, etc for other reasons and got to it from the top side. I think if I'm in there again, I will just install a new pump. I see them on ebay for $35+. Let us know how it goes.

figgen 05-22-2005 02:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have replaced that pump on my '85

from the bottom of the car

I remember it was a chore and some thing about scraped knuckles but can't remember the details...I think I've blocked it out from my memory. It can be done, but it's tricky.

your right on the pump placement, the pump attacehd to the washer bottle is headlight with intensive under the small reservior in the front.

Sorry not much help here other than encouragement, it can be done!

Oldtee 05-22-2005 10:38 AM

Thanks for the replys. This will be first on my list to do to the new car, after I put the engine back in the 911sc. Hope springs eternal that I can get it done without pulling the engine on the 928, which is not on my list of favorite ideas for a Sunday project. Will keep you posted.
:surr:

SharkSkin 05-22-2005 01:49 PM

I've been able to swap that pump under the coolant tank from below... There is probably less room on your car than on my 78.... but I did it by reaching up and cutting the rubber inserts, at which point I was able to wrestle the wires and hoses off the pump(one-handed) and get it out. The new pump with new inserts was a PITA to get back in... I had to get the hoses and wires back on it, then carefully engage the inserts, but I couldn't get leverage to pull them so they "popped" into place. I had to hold the pump in place with one hand and pull the inserts through with an 18" set of forceps.

HTH