Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   OB Straight Pipes? (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/204455-ob-straight-pipes.html)

heinrich 05-17-2005 01:45 PM

OB Straight Pipes?

My muffler (ANSA POS) gave out and the car has MUCH more torque without it (broke off at the mid). Cats-only. I want straight pipes. Is there a canned solution? Or do I just fashion something myself?

Jim bailey - 928 International 05-17-2005 01:47 PM

roll your own....

heinrich 05-17-2005 01:54 PM

I'm thinking that my brother :thumbsup:

Tom. M 05-17-2005 03:16 PM

H..didn't know you had an OB.... :D Didn't Mark A recently post a couple of ansa systems...dual pipe and single pipe for sale????

Later,
Tom

EDIT>>>ahh..nevermind..see you want open pipes... :D

heinrich 05-17-2005 03:22 PM

tom this is an ansa POS. It has rusted from head to toe

heinrich 05-17-2005 03:23 PM

in other words no ansa for me

VT928 05-17-2005 09:46 PM

Heirich,

I have a 80 Euro S and when it came time to replace my Ansa exhaust, I had a very simple system put in. A Magnaflow dual in/dual out Xpath flow muffler and 2.25 inch pipes back to the rear corner. Was inexpensive, and much freer flowing. Now really have to be aware or I hit the rev limiter @ 6300 rpm. The exhaust noise is reasonable at low revs but turns into a very nasty shriek above 3500. No noticable drop in torque in the midrange but a definitely more power on the top end than my old Ansa system. It had 3 mufflers and 2 inch pipes off the manifolds. Lucky for me my 80 was federalized without cats and Vermont does not do a snif test. The Magnaflow website has several mufflers to choose from but not all are X path. Cost for the muffler was less than 125.00 dollars and the pipings ran another 200.00 dollars.

Paul

1980 Euro S Red/Blk Lea

ew928 05-17-2005 10:09 PM

At the NE 928OC Dyno meet at MusanteMotorsports, Mr. Metty bought his
'Roll his Own' 2.5"? (3") straight pipe. Wasn't pretty. He and collaborator just got some straight pipe, angle cut pieces to fit and go to town welding.
No mandrel bent beauty but he gained 30ish horses on the dyno.
Was running a little lean even after cranking up fuel regulator so breathing
wasn't holding his S back.

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/ametty_pipe.jpg

Ernest (NYC)
Whisper quiet bone-stock S4 exhaust.

justin 05-17-2005 11:08 PM

So you guys are saying if I can live with the noise, I could pic up 15-30 horses with straight pipe?

heinrich 05-18-2005 12:21 AM

Paul, Ernest,thanks for the advice :)

checkmate1996 05-18-2005 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by justin
So you guys are saying if I can live with the noise, I could pic up 15-30 horses with straight pipe?

Live with or "LIVE FOR" the BAAAAAAAWAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH! :roflmao:

John Struthers 05-18-2005 02:23 AM

Justin,
Straight pipes may be exactly what Heinrich is looking for.
BUT!
If you have neighbors within a 1/4 mile you'll be sorry, at the very least the neighbors will hate your butt.
Sounds cool for no more than a day at which point even you will be looking to Muffle the beast.
Backing off on an off ramp does sound great though.
Your call, but I speak from experience.

Parnelli Joneser 05-18-2005 03:04 AM

I can back up John on that. My "Federalized" car, and I use that word lightly, has what appears to be the OEM European exhaust with a resonator just ahead of the rear axle and the fat muffler seemingly taking up the entire left rear side of the tail. Seeking to decrease my polar moment of inertia by centralizing mass in the car(yeah, sure.) I decided to hack the muffler off where the two pipes come past the rear axle. Omigod that thing was loud, and unfortunately not as flattering as I'd hoped. It wasn't two days before I was under there welding that bitch back on. I saw my nosy old neighbor lady on the sidewalk clapping when I pulled in with the exhaust restored...

SharkSkin 05-18-2005 03:54 AM

When I went to install my Borla cat-back, of course I had to start it up with just the cat attached. WOW! it sounded so good, I took it out for a little flog session. Not too much because my tires were worse than marginal at the time... but I did have a few miles of fun like that. Then I had to drive it for a couple of weeks with just the small resonator installed, because of fitment issues with the rear muffler. That sounded pretty awesome too, but by the time I had it fixed I was done with it. it was just too much noise. Of possible interest... I seemed to pick up some oomph with no pipe on there, and when I was finished with the Borla install it didn't seem to have lost any of it. I'm sure I'm down a few HP just from the extra pipe, but it's not noticeable. Best of all, the exhaust noise is not intrusive because it's not resonating off the floorpan. I still set off a couple of car alarms at work in the parking garage when I hit the right resonant frequency. :D

AO 05-18-2005 12:22 PM

Man! I've got he Borla cat back systems which sounds nice, but since I live in a no-sniff state, I've go to drop the cats. I also have a set of 85-86 manifolds (headers) to put on. I've got to do it, but after SITM as I'm too afraid I'll bust an exhaust stud and..., well I don't want to even think about it.