Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Transmission shop in S. Florida (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/204206-transmission-shop-in-s-florida.html)

Alan '79 928 05-16-2005 11:18 AM

Transmission shop in S. Florida

Can anyone recommend a good shop to repair my auto transmission? Anywhere in SE Florida is ok, although the Ft. Lauderdale area would be the most convenient.

I had this transmission rebuilt 5 years ago and this time I'd like it to last...

Thanks,
Alan 1979 automatic

Alan '79 928 05-16-2005 11:21 PM

Anyone in south Florida?? All suggestions welcome.

Black Sea RD 05-16-2005 11:57 PM

Hi Alan,

Renntech in West Palm Beach can rebuild your transmission since, as you know, it's a Mercedes unit and Renntech modifies Mercedes. Cost will be about $2000 at least it was when I checked, although I haven't used them yet. They really know their stuff.

They were also the first ones to build up a stroker 928 motor for one of their clients using 968 pistons and a stroker crank of their design. Has nothing to do with your trans question but a nifty aside nonetheless.

Good luck,
Constantine

Alan '79 928 05-17-2005 12:26 AM

Hi Constantine - My friend took his benz to Renntech a few months ago and was very happy. I never thought of them. I'l give them a call tomorrow - I'm looking for a reputable, knowledgable place like that.

I got an estimate for $1500 from Guardian Transmission today(they did my father's MB last year and have been around for 25 years). Maybe I just like suffering but it scared me that the estimate was that low.

Thanks for the suggestion. By the way, I read a great article about your track car a month or two ago.

Alan

Black Sea RD 05-17-2005 07:47 AM

Alan,

Good luck with your trans. I'm sure Guardian Transmission if they've been around that long know their stuff too. Let me know who you go with, I'm waiting for my track car trans to go BOOM one day at the track!

And thanks for the kind words about the article. The beast is up on blocks again going through another weight loss operation.

Cheers
Constantine

Originally Posted by Alan '79 928
Hi Constantine - My friend took his benz to Renntech a few months ago and was very happy. I never thought of them. I'l give them a call tomorrow - I'm looking for a reputable, knowledgable place like that.

I got an estimate for $1500 from Guardian Transmission today(they did my father's MB last year and have been around for 25 years). Maybe I just like suffering but it scared me that the estimate was that low.

Thanks for the suggestion. By the way, I read a great article about your track car a month or two ago.

Alan

Alan '79 928 05-17-2005 01:07 PM

I'll let you know who I go with and how it works out - I probable won't do anything with the trans for a month or so. My waterpump (I think) just started leaking about a gallon a day (it only leaks when the car is cold) so I'll deal with that first.

Keep us posted on your track exploits. I'd love to come out and watch some weekend when I'm not working.

Alan