Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Fuel odor gone, thanks to Dr. Bob! (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/198970-fuel-odor-gone-thanks-to-dr-bob.html)

LI Steve 04-20-2005 08:10 PM

Fuel odor gone, thanks to Dr. Bob!

On Sunday, I noticed a faint fuel smell after a few minutes of 'spirited' driving. I thought that there was no way it could be my shark, but the odor persisted. After a quick search on this forum, I saw a previous post where someone had a similar problem, and Dr. Bob suggested that it was the "Y" connector in the front passenger wheel well, and that he had a document describing the fix.

I e-mailed Dr. Bob, and within minutes he responded with an amazing, step-by-step, illustrated document on how to fix the problem. Sure enough, the "Y" connector was cracked! After a 2-day wait to get the $4 part, my shark is as good as new. :D

Thanks Dr. Bob - you sure saved me a lot of time and frustration trying to solve that problem!!! :thumbup:

bwebb77 04-20-2005 08:20 PM

Hey Steve email me that doc please, bwebb@berlin.com Thanks

KAmey1970 04-20-2005 09:10 PM

Ditto on the email...I got the smell too!

ameyk@comcast.net

Thanks...Kevin

worf928 04-20-2005 09:49 PM

BTW, I have stainless steel replacements for the plastic Y connector. They are $20 - but you'll never have to replace that Y again.

1981 Shark 04-20-2005 11:12 PM

Steve,

Double ditto on the email regarding the "Y" replacement", please.

dknight1@jam.rr.com

Thanks!

David

deliriousga 04-20-2005 11:50 PM

Me too please! Take the "delete-" off my e-mail address before sending. It keeps the spiders from snatching my address.

delete-jschilling@benchmarkdesign.us

Thanks!

jetrainor 04-21-2005 03:04 AM

I would assume that the replacement 'y' hose is part of the valley service package sold by several of the big 3...would this be an incorrect assumption?.....i've got a different fuel problem....filled the car up to about three quarters yesterday and immediately smelled gas...got home and the fuel is leaking rapidly from around the front of the gas tank...only seems to happen when running.....when parked, there's no leak, but a very strong gas smell....any thoughts?

87 euro auto

worf928 04-21-2005 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by jetrainor
I would assume that the replacement 'y' hose is part of the valley service package sold by several of the big 3...would this be an incorrect assumption?.....

Yes. That would be an incorrect assumption. Folks above are not discussing a Y 'hose'. Under discussion is a small Y connector in the right front fender well that connects to the charcoal canister.

when parked, there's no leak, but a very strong gas smell....any thoughts?
Yes. You have a fuel leak. Fix it fast. Pull the cover plate on the tank bottom and look at the fuel pump, filter, and other items thereby uncovered.

Make sure the car is in a well-ventilated area.

NickT 04-21-2005 11:09 AM

Can you, and would Dr Bob, allow you to post the doc here?

BrianG 04-21-2005 11:34 AM

Get Worf's S/S "Y" !! I had done the plastic part fix twice and it had broken again.

Worf's part is a quality piece (like most of what you'll find from the fellows here), and you'll NEVER have to think of this task again!

deliriousga 04-21-2005 11:38 AM

I'll post it on my website if Dr. Bob says ok.

Bill Ball 04-21-2005 12:00 PM

Here is a picture of the broken Y-connector, located in the passenger wheel well behind the liner. That's the charcoal cansiter above it and the washer fluid bottle behind it. I installed David's SS replacement several years ago.

http://www.billsworkshop.com/P928S4/xpics/gasvapors.jpg

SteveCo 04-21-2005 12:13 PM

Jetrainor;
If your fuel leak only occurs when the car is running it is likely related to the fuel circulation system....ie: the fuel pump, supply and return lines. Could be the pressure side of the pump has a leak or the return line to the tank is doing so. The fuel pump is housed ahead of the tank with a cover plate over it. if you have the car in the air, you can access it and pull the cover to view what's going on.

If this does not show anything, it could be the return line. Check the top tank access under the cargo area carpet in the hatch....big round plastic cap that removes to allow access the the tank sender unit and a hose. I found my car had a loose hose clamp in thsi area and a fuel smeel would occur when the car was running.

Otherwise, you may have to pull the tank to get at the other hoses to find the problem. Does not sound to me like a simple tank leak...that would leak even if the car was shut off.

Regards,
SteveCo in St. John's

NickT 04-21-2005 12:19 PM

Not to sound stupid or anything, but can't this "Y" connector be replaced with the very common "T" plumbing connector available at your local Home Depot?

Does it have to be a "Y"?

worf928 04-21-2005 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by NickT
Not to sound stupid or anything, but can't this "Y" connector be replaced with the very common "T" plumbing connector available at your local Home Depot?

Does it have to be a "Y"?

Any replacement should be metal. The hoses (see picture) are very stiff and put a lot of bending stress on the connector, hence why they break frequently.