Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Anywone care to wax rapsodic as to the virtues of ZF vs griffiths Steering racks (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/186811-anywone-care-to-wax-rapsodic-as-to-the-virtues-of-zf-vs-griffiths-steering-racks.html)

Mark87AT 02-18-2005 06:24 PM

Anywone care to wax rapsodic as to the virtues of ZF vs griffiths Steering racks

It's looking like a new steering rack is in my future and I have read a number of threads and it seems that the 2 main contenders for remanufactured steering racks are ZF and Griffiths. Anyone care to share their personal baised opinions as to the virtues of either? Also what's the deal with the 91- GT or GTS rack? (easier to install? but harder on the wallet). Thanks Mark

PS Everyone here makes my growing addictive dependance on my new overly complicated, expensive to work on car, seem almost rational and reasonable. Thank you! :thumbsup:

DR 02-18-2005 07:10 PM

Hi Mark,

FYI, both racks are ZF racks.

Stick with the Griffiths rebuilt, the last time I checked the ZF rebuild is over twice the cost.

Also ZF is a major pain to deal with concerning cores and warranty issues. Every warranty issue we ever sent them was refused for one lame excuse or another, ironically we haven't had any problems with Griffiths racks but I know Charlie personally and it would be taken care of professionally and fairly.

In the past we have had ZF refuse many Cores for the silliest reasons, one was refused because the ZF tag had fallen off. This is stupid because they are all ZF racks and it couldn't be another brand, but that is how ZF is to deal with.. In all the Griffiths racks we have sold not a single core has been refused.

blau928 02-18-2005 07:24 PM

I have an extra Sterering rack core laying around my barn.. If anyone is interested in buying it to send off as a core to be rebuilt PM or email me..

blau928 02-18-2005 07:24 PM

BTW,

It's from an 87 S4..

Jim bailey - 928 International 02-18-2005 07:29 PM

Our 928 International rebuilt racks are not done by ZF or Griffiths and our experience with our current rebuilder is excellent ,very nice people to deal with. They are $395 now with a 3 year warranty. We always nearly always have units in stock ready to ship have sold thousands.

Mark Anderson 02-18-2005 08:13 PM

To be honest, I just did a report on the number sold and it was 121 in the last 12 months so I'd have to say that it was the low thousand as in just over 1.

Jim bailey - 928 International 02-18-2005 08:39 PM

There he goes again low key, self effacing ,understated where is the HYPE ,the spin ?? OK so it is only about $500,000 worth of rebuilt racks. No wonder the guy has not been hired for a pro racing drive, of course he never asked either. :)

Nicole 02-18-2005 08:58 PM

Mark:

Supposedly, the '91 and later racks have lower friction seals, and with the lighter, high pressure pump it provides more power assist. This is expacially an issue when you upgrade your wheels to 17" or larger - unless you want to turn parking into a mini-workout.

I am not really sure what the secret in the rack would be - all I can say is that when we put the XF in, my car steered like a truck - or likely like a pre-91 model - compared to whaty I was used to. The pump was not touched in the process.

Strangely, ZF appeared to claim one and the same part number for all 928s from the mid080ies onwards. You would assume that they would offer the latest type, but my experience showed that they did not. When we put a rebuilt Porsche rack in, everything was perfect again.

BTW: The increased power assist was a big reason for me to buy a '91 model. If I had an older model and would need a steering rack or pump, I'd upgrade - it's well worth it.

If you ever upgrade the pump, you'll also need a different bracket. Search the archives - it has been discussed before.