Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Keep fishing or cut the line? (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/186576-keep-fishing-or-cut-the-line.html)

eric.dewhirst 02-17-2005 01:21 PM

Keep fishing or cut the line?

Hello fellow Rennlisters,

Perhaps someone out there has some words of wisdom for me – get me through this feeling that I am sure you have all felt. I take care of this baby of mine – treat it ohhh so nice – don’t race it – do all the preventative maintenance – dump good money into it – bought a pristine example so as to ensure that I have as few problems as possible. So living up here in Canada you can’t drive your shark in the snow – hell the salt would ruin it so you store it – you take good care of it. Well it’s a sunny day and I decide hell I am going to start up the beast – it is here at a designated garage right at my office – I can check on it and make sure it is O.K. Start it up – starts up fine – first spin – move it back and what do we have here – some coolant – a puddle. Then the automatic response system comes in – ahhh no big worries I will fix that as soon as the driving season is underway – no biggie – hell can’t be much right? I replaced the water pump while I did the preventative maintenance timing belt – which was done at the dealer, I got a new Devek Rad last year when I notice a small leak – replaced all the hoses just to be safe as well. Then it dawns on me – maybe this puppy was put on this earth to torment me – be a thorn in my side – you know I love it – always have – hell I found a picture of me at age sixteen at a car show standing beside my car brand new! Big smile on my face – so proud to be so close to greatness! That is where it all started – fell in love with it – the seed was planted. But now 35 years old I sit back and I think – for four years now I have been making excuses for this thing – now I am done.

So what do you guys do to keep it together – because right now I am ready to let her go. Sometimes you really feel if you love something you have to set them free – maybe there is someone else out there that can care for her better than I can – god knows I have tried to treat her right – but it is not the money – its not the maintenance – maybe she is just not happy with me.

So my fellow shark owners – weigh in if you dare – we have all felt this way – what do you do.

Cheers,

Eric
PS – You can even check out my website devoted to her – it pains me to think of letting her go but sometimes that is all you have left!
http://www.hgn.ca/eric.dewhirst/pers...28s/index.html

Jim bailey - 928 International 02-17-2005 01:25 PM

Life without passion is not life........ keep the 928!

Jfrahm 02-17-2005 01:29 PM

Personally I think cars, especially expensive cars that take a good bit of time and money to maintain, should provide a lot of pleasure to the owner. For me I have to be confident in the car so I can use it without knawing worry, and I need to spend a reasonable amount of time working on it, like 1/3 of the time spent actually driving it at the very most. For me, maybe eight afternoons a year on repairs and maintenance.

If you walk into the garage and you get excited thinking about driving the car, great. If you are annoyed by the sight of it sitting there unusable or undependable... maybe think about something else. Life's too short.

-Joel.

Randy V 02-17-2005 01:30 PM

Often times the beautiful things in life are higher maintenance than the mediocre things.

It's the difference between greatness and merely adequate.

eric.dewhirst 02-17-2005 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jim bailey - 928 International
Life without passion is not life........ keep the 928!

I hear ya Jim – but what if passion is always one way – you know it takes two to tango – give give give – what about my needs. Hey does Dr. Phil have a 928 – maybe he can help!

Thanks for the note!

eric.dewhirst 02-17-2005 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Randy V
Often times the beautiful things in life are higher maintenance than the mediocre things.

It's the difference between greatness and merely adequate.

You are right Randy – but if memory serves me correctly you are in the US – all year loving! – you are a fellow Cannuck – you know the winter – it’s like being able to see the one you love half the year – and then when you do get to see her – she always has a headache – you know what I mean?

Cheers - Eric

eric.dewhirst 02-17-2005 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
Personally I think cars, especially expensive cars that take a good bit of time and money to maintain, should provide a lot of pleasure to the owner. For me I have to be confident in the car so I can use it without knawing worry, and I need to spend a reasonable amount of time working on it, like 1/3 of the time spent actually driving it at the very most. For me, maybe eight afternoons a year on repairs and maintenance.

If you walk into the garage and you get excited thinking about driving the car, great. If you are annoyed by the sight of it sitting there unusable or undependable... maybe think about something else. Life's too short.

-Joel.

Hey Joel – that is my thinking – it is not about the money – it is about the time not being able to indulge in the beauty that is all that she was designed for. That is just the thing about objects of beauty and passion – sometimes you can’t live with them and sometimes you just can’t seem to visualize a life without them – what is a man to do!

Cheers

DR 02-17-2005 01:37 PM

Hi Eric,

Don't you think you should find out where the coolant is coming from first?

Heck for all we know it could have been a rodent that chewed on a small hose, or someone forgot to tighten a clamp properly, etc..

I think(and hope) when you investigate you will find it is something silly and no big deal at all.

I have heard stories similar to yours many times, an owner spends a lot of money to catch up neglected maintenance. Then one little thing puts them over the edge, they sell it and the new owner drives it trouble free for many years... I would prefer not to hear that same story about your 928.

eric.dewhirst 02-17-2005 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by DR
Hi Eric,

Don't you think you should find out where the coolant is coming from first?

Heck for all we know it could have been a rodent that chewed on a small hose, or someone forgot to tighten a clamp properly, etc..

I think(and hope) when you investigate you will find it is something silly and no big deal at all.

I have heard stories similar to yours many times, an owner spends a lot of money to catch up neglected maintenance. Then one little thing puts them over the edge, they sell it and the new owner drives it trouble free for many years... I would prefer not to hear that same story about your 928.

You are right David,

I know it is something small – that is just it – it always is – these cars are fantastic beasts – when they are in top form – well you know it is near orgasmic. But then there’s that sinking feeling when you pull away from the light and it acts ohhhh just a little odd – then the mind races trying to figure out – hmmm where in all this magic is something going sideways. My minivan could be on fire and I could care less when I am driving – as long as it is getting me form A to B – but with a shark it is all about the drive and I find so much is taken away when you worry about it – and it is not the dough – I find the cars that I love become a part of me – ahh well. Thanks for your comments.

Big Dave 02-17-2005 01:43 PM

4 years and only a couple coolant leaks? Hell, a new car has more problems than that.

As far as snow is concerned...they do make winter wheels for the 928. My saw snow duty 3 winters in a row.

Tom. M 02-17-2005 01:43 PM

The only cure is to pick up another one that you will drive in winter...a set of winter rims with good snow tires....and drive drive drive...if you wash the undercarriage on occasion and park it in a garage at night..the effects will be minimal.

A few years back I was commuting from Guelph to Mississauga (basically a 45 minute drive on the 401 towards Toronto) on a daily basis..had a beater chevette for the drive..so I could save my VW Corrado for "weekends". Ended up driving the Corrado more just because it was way more fun and comfortable...just didn't enjoy sitting in traffic in a beater ...

A typical pattern..put the car away and don't drive....and it will let you know....i used to worry about driving mine too much..and thought..I should pick up a beater (another make..not a 928) for my daily commute...but every day I get off my bus at the park and ride...there awaits my GT..ready to go...and I enjoy every drive home....takes the stress out of a hectic day.... Can't say I would feel the same if I was greeted by a beater daily driver at the park and ride.. :) . BTW..my 89GT just rolled over 270000 kms....(167400 miles)...and still running strong...put about 35miles a day on it now...and enjoy every minute..

good luck with whatever you decide .....

Later,
Tom
midlman@rennlist.net
89GT

DR 02-17-2005 01:51 PM

> Hell, a new car has more problems than that.

Heck yeah, I have to take my 2001 Ford Supercrew to the Ford dealership for them to unplug a connector so they can keep it from BURNING TO THE GROUND.. pass the 928 coolant, I may need it to toss on the fire!

heinrich 02-17-2005 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by eric.dewhirst
I hear ya Jim – but what if passion is always one way – you know it takes two to tango – give give give – what about my needs. Hey does Dr. Phil have a 928 – maybe he can help!

Thanks for the note!

In a Dr Phil voice: "Buddy you godda get yer head out ..... take a look at yer liiife and make a decIsion and stIck with it..... It ain't ahwll Take ya knooow ... There's godda be some GIVE in it too .... Do you even LIKE that car? .... I mean, if you don't LIIIKE the car, why BOTHER with the car .... Life's liiike that ...."

:D

perrys4 02-17-2005 01:56 PM

I went trhough the same thing the first two years I owned the car. Was always something and usually Major. I kept fixing things swearing I would sell it the "next time". After I got all the repairs done I have been trouble free for a couple of years. You did hear about these cars needing lots of TLC before you bought it didnt you?

DR 02-17-2005 01:56 PM

>As far as snow is concerned...they do make winter wheels for the 928.

They make snow chains too, I used my first 928 (84) as a Ski Car and had to put chains on it many times to get where I wanted to go.