Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   carpet installation (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/186559-carpet-installation.html)

sraif 02-17-2005 12:10 PM

carpet installation

I've got the new Sliverknit laid out all over the garage now. It's a lot like a jigsaw puzzle. I can do trial and error fitting but does anyone have or know where to get a carpet layout diagram? I know, I know, I should have waited to remove the old carpet until I got the new stuff but you know how hard it is to wait (discipline is not always my strong suit). I've tried searching by every combination of keywords I can think of and have come up empty.

Thanks in advance-
Steve

docmirror 02-17-2005 12:14 PM

I have almost every scrap of old carpet from my 90GT sitting in a box in my garage. I don't know what car you have, but you can PM me it it will help. Or email at docmirror@yahoo.com

It would be nice if you added your model and year to the signature block in your user CP.

s928s 02-17-2005 09:35 PM

It is pretty straight forward..if you line up the 3 main pieces correctly you are golden. I am currently reinstalling mine as a 2-tone burgundy-grey effect.

1. the center tunnel piece is the worse. Do a dry run and line it up with the 2 center seatbelt mount holes. then there are notches to match up with the rear console mounts. then pull up console side piecs and glue it. then lastly glue down the rear hump area.

2 & 3 are the same.. both outer side panel pieces. On your kit the pieces with the vinyl lip go at the front corner of the door opening . Again line up the seatbelt hole..along the inner ridge of the door opening with the top edge of the carpet. Then match the notch along the bottom with the small hump across the floor. Although on the drivers side it is best to install the carpet around the hood release handle first !! harder to do when the rest is glued down. once laid out, glue down 1/2 at a time.

those pieces go in first, all the other pieces should have mainly finished edges that go down last.

I hope this helps.

Ingenere 02-17-2005 10:18 PM

I had replaced the carpet in my old S4. I was really quite easy. The worst bit was removing the back seats. Other than that just have patience and have plenty of ventilation if you are using contact cement!

borland 02-18-2005 01:24 AM

Using the spray adhesive, I found this to be a great technique for perfect alignment:

Don't attempt to glue the entire piece at once. Over newspaper, Position the carpet piece over the part to be covered, then fold back half exposing the underside of the carpet and the piece to be attached.

Use additional newspaper under the folded back area to protect the carpet while spraying the carpet backing side at the same time as the backing piece. Also use masking tape to protect the carpet edges from overspray.

Spray the adhesive, wait a minutes to allow the glue to dry to touch, then fold back the carpet allowing the carpet and backing piece to adhere. Then do the same fold back and newspaper treatment for the other side.

You'll end up with a lot of wasted pieces of newspaper, but that shouldn't be a big concern.

Benton 02-18-2005 01:38 AM

I'm curious, where did you purchase the carpet? I'm looking to buy just a roll (not pre-cut) for my track car at a reasonable price. I bought some for my 993 to recarpet the door panels and it was really expensive.

jserio 02-18-2005 03:07 AM

sraif, PM me your email address. I'll send you a pic of what I got.

sraif 02-18-2005 03:10 AM

Borland-
Thanks, once I got the procedure you are describing it made perfect sense.

Red-
Yeah, this stuff is really pricey. Dave has it over at 928GT at $60/yard (52" wide). I got my set from Fryer's Upholstery. I don't know if they can get it by the yard or not. I couldn't find anyone else that lists it for sale by the yard. Someone else here may have a source I don't know about.

Steve

s928s 02-18-2005 07:25 AM

"GAHH" and "World upolstry trim" bot carry complete kits and see by the yard. Either in the porsche "slivernit" or a Us pile. They also have leather hides in the porsche colors. No relation to eith company..have used both in the past without problems. both even carry seat recover kits.

gwb212 02-18-2005 02:54 PM

carpet in stall schematic

web link below shos a basic schematic of the carpet layout and some install tips.
Im going through an install this weekend and have been asking around for the same info...found it !

borland 02-18-2005 06:26 PM

I bought the material by the yard over the phone from GAHH Inc. Nice people, but I had to twist an arm to get them to sell me the german felt backing material, which they don't normally sell separately.

GAHH also didn't have the vinyl binder in the correct color (Silk Grey) as the carpet, so I reused mine and hand stiched everything. Most would never attempt this method, but I liked the results which is an exact reproduction.

Adam C 02-18-2005 07:14 PM

Hey Ingenere,

I think you should add an "i" to your user name if you are spelling the Italian word for engineer.

Ingeniere.

Sorry to digress, from one italian to the other.