Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Dallas 90GT update(kinda long) (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/186438-dallas-90gt-update-kinda-long.html)

docmirror 02-16-2005 07:39 PM

Dallas 90GT update(kinda long)

Shameless pride in my car compels me to give this update on the car I bought about 6 months ago. I got a 90GT in Texas and it was pretty cheap, but needing lots of deferred maintenance. I've been steadily working on it with help from some other folks around here and this is where I'm at now:

Car runs and drives well. shifts smooth doesn't overheat or smoke. Brakes well, with slight squeak when warm. No shakes rattle or noises. All electrical cirucits are working except the radio is not installed. I've been using it as a daily driver for the past week while my other car was down for a TB/WP job. I just got my state inspection done and the results are below

HC(ppm) high speed ave:144 My car:14 low speed ave:148 My car:26
CO(%) high speed ave:0.92 My car:0.02 Low speed ave:0.83 My car:0.04
NOx high speed ave:1014 My car:185 Low speed ave:1110 My car:155

Things I've done so far:
TB R&R, water pump was new, rebuilt tensioner, insp idlers and gears.
Repair inop RDK. Fix sensor and wiring fault.
Replace two lamps.
Motor Mounts R&R, tighten oil pan bolts, insp rack & boots R&R.
Smog pump R&R.
All new belts, new filters.
New plugs
AC reworked, filled with R-12 and test.
Heater actuator valve R&R.
New carpet, new front seats in leather, new A piller cover, repair dash cracks.
battery R&R
Oil pressure sender R&R.
Fuel filter R&R.
Repair front wiring harness to engine sensors and alt.
Clean wet sand and buff body.
Fix inop airbag sensor left side.
Repair center console, cracks, and align and tighten.
Clean all and repaint 2 wheels
New wheel center caps on pass side.
New Porsche elec air compressor.
New pass side window gasket.
Repair hatch release (not working again)
Check and set ride height.
Things still needing to be done:

Well, as much as I worked the body paint, it still looks dull in many areas, and is going to need a whole repaint. I also need to do the intake(flappy) and cam cover R&R and cleaning. Install the radio and maybe new speakers. Need new belly pan, and some engine cleaning. I'm going to do all the work except the paint. I've had enough of the paint work to know it's better to farm it out. I would like to repair the pod or have it covered, and my instrument panel has some voids in the display. Minor stuff, but should be done.

The best value on what I've done so far is the Motor Mount job. I used to complain about the GT ride stiffness, but much of it was the collapsed mounts. It's still stiff, but rides very nice, and handles fab! The next best for my car was the interior refurb. The new carpet and leather make the car smell soooo nicccceeee. It also makes me want to take care of it with the new looks inside.

Plans for the future are to keep up the maintenance, keep it bone stock and just drive on occasion. I may sell it in a few years, or give it to my son when he turns 18. Thanks for sticking it out, and thanks to all who have provided insight and help with various jobs. It's not a difficult car to work on, but this list makes it much easier.

:roflmao: :bigbye: :roflmao: :bigbye:

Bill Ball 02-16-2005 07:58 PM

WE NEED PICTURES!!!!! We want proof you're not making all this up! :to_order:

H2 02-16-2005 08:22 PM

If you're talking about a 928, it's NOT shameless pride. It's called honesty and sharing your 928 update ideas. Good going. It does confirm, however, that many 928s go through a similar update enhancement process. Many of us have BTDT.

Harvey
"Only fast and good looking cars are interesting"

blau928 02-16-2005 08:24 PM

I'm turning 18 in 2 months...! I am also up for adoption..! ;)

ROG100 02-16-2005 09:04 PM

Missed it by two hours :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr:

The interior work is perfection - I know I have seen it.

ErnestSw 02-16-2005 11:53 PM

What Doc Mirror doesn't say is that he's a talented wrench with real mechanical skills.

docmirror 02-17-2005 12:11 AM

Here ya go.

docmirror 02-17-2005 12:16 AM

Oh jeez,,,,I just realized I left the side cover off the console. I was working on the airbag stuff, and I haven't put the cover back on. I'm so embarassed. Anyway, the paint isn't as good as it looks in the photo. And it doesn't look that good. Still, it's a nice car. Gotta get that radio in too.

I was just so happy today to get my inspection sticker.

Bill Ball 02-17-2005 12:21 AM

Purty! Especially like the black piping. Also, those are some impressive objects in the background.

Congrats on all the skillfull restoration. I can't claim to have done 1/4th of what you have, as my 89 came to me pretty close to showroom or close enough that all I've had to do is maintain her and a perform a few relatively minor repairs. The 79 I was able to rip up pretty good, but I'm stalled at the electrical spaghetti stage.

More pics! Particularly before and after if you have them.

docmirror 02-17-2005 12:27 AM

Thx Bill, that thing under the cover in front of the boat is a Lamborghini Espada. It's outside while the Porsche is in the garage. The boat is for sale, cheap, can deliver, free gas, come and get it, please....

Bill Ball 02-17-2005 12:31 AM

Yeah, I understand. I lived in SoCal for 5 years and was stunned at how cheap boats could be had - it was the slip fees and upkeep that killed you. But that's another topic. Glad to see you are appreciating the 928 in more ways than one.

justin 02-17-2005 04:17 AM

What year Lambo? Car looks nice. I'll give you 1000.00 bucks for the boat! :)

Dennis K 02-17-2005 04:39 AM

Not to go too far off topic, but let's see pics of the Espada when you get the chance!

And that's a beautiful GT. I love the piping on the seats.

Randy V 02-17-2005 01:36 PM

Nice lookin' boat, too. Hard to tell, but based on the portholes I'll guess SeaRay or WellCraft?

docmirror 02-17-2005 07:17 PM

:atwhore:

This is sooooo me today. I got a lot done, fixed a clutch on the Espada, repaired some stereo issues on the Mondi, washed the cars, cleaned the garage, cleaned one of the tool boxes, got the Mondi inspected, and put the console covers on the 928. Here's some low res photos(I'm on a slow dial connection today) of the various cars. All red with tan interior(what's wrong with me?).

The Espada is from 1970, Mondi is from '83, and Porsche is '90. Note the roof height on the Espada. It's about the same length as an old Mustang, but much lower. It's even lower than the 928. The rake on the windshield is amazing given the vintage. The boat is a Crownline, and you would look very nice in it Randy!