Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Taking A Newbie For A Ride (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/185871-taking-a-newbie-for-a-ride.html)

bigs 02-13-2005 11:07 PM

Taking A Newbie For A Ride

I must admit, one of my favorite, most enjoyable activities is taking someone for a ride in the shark who has never been in one before.

These days, the 928 model is a little on the obscure side anyway, so most folks don't really know what they're getting into when they slide into the passenger seat.

And Provo Canyon is about 2 miles from my home - it's a great road with curves just tight enough that you can take them at 90-100 and scare the living bejeesus out of the uninitiated! :evilgrin:

Then, after the first 2-3 curves, as they realize the capabilities of what they're riding in, they're wootin' for more!

I took a friend of my son's out tonight - a young man maybe 28 years old. About half way through the ride, he made the classic comment: "I feel like I'm inside a video game!"

Anybody else have stories about taking someone out for their first shark exposure?

Ferris B 02-14-2005 12:27 AM

I took a friend out for a couple quick blasts between freeway ramps-- run up to about 110 and back down. A few quick blips in 3rd gear to show the tourque.

He says, "I'm a speed freak, I gotta get me one of these!"

bigs 02-14-2005 12:30 AM

Mark... A quick blast between freeway ramps? You cheated him!

FlyingDog 02-14-2005 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by bigs
Anybody else have stories about taking someone out for their first shark exposure?

Yeah, my car lit on fire, we got a tour of the fire department, and she refuses to talk to me now.

bigs 02-14-2005 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by FlyingDog
Yeah, my car lit on fire, we got a tour of the fire department, and she refuses to talk to me now.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

C'mon! There's GOT to be more to the story than that!

IcemanG17 02-14-2005 01:24 AM

My father in law bought a 2003 ford thunderbird....nice car with okay power (280hp), but its really heavy and not very sporty...more of a luxury cruiser type car....he was telling me all about it...so I took him for a ride on Xmas.... I was telling him how the 928 how so much power, especially down low, that you really have to be careful with the throttle at low speeds. He doesn't seem to belive me...so I take a little dog leg corner real easy..about 10mph...floor it 1/2 through.......get all twisted up sideways in a HUGE cloud of smoke....leave one (standard diff) long thick track about 50 feet long! Real nice squiggley line down the road...it was sweet. Then I told him the freeway is even more impressive....he said "thats okay, lets go home." Then I told him...remember my car is stock!

Ferris B 02-14-2005 01:48 AM

bigs- I was supposed to be home. I didn't have any time. As it was, my wife was out looking for me and she was PISSED.

Another story: I took my dad for a ride. He didn't want to drive, but I took him I-15 to I-215 EB. I bounce up to about 125. He was a little ashen and when I told him how fast we'd gone he commented that he'd never been faster in a car. Coming back WB and entering the clover-leaf to merge on I-15 I kept into the gas and took the corner about as fast one can in a 928. He was afraid I'd put it into the wall. All in all, he came away with a nice appreciation of the car.

Yet another story: I let my brother drive from Park City to my home in Draper. Nice mountain drive, downhill, about 35 miles. He drives Range Rovers and hadn't been in a sports car for some time. He was driving pretty gingerly until I instructed him to gear down and see what 3rd would do. I told him about how fast he could go in each gear and he tested it a little. He was duly impressed by the insta-power the 5sp provides and really liked the overall sensation of the car. Next day- he's @ Dave Strong Porsche looking at a C4. For some reason he came away with an appreciation for Porsche, but not necessarily 928s. End of story, his insurance would've killed him due to past indescretions, so he bought a '94 Land Rover Defender 90 instead. Geez, what a goober.

FlyingDog 02-14-2005 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by bigs
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

C'mon! There's GOT to be more to the story than that!

The dual distributer belt snapped at WOT, dumping fuel from 4 cylinders into the hot cat which lit inside the cat, the crappy aftermarket nylon webbing type straps which were supposed to hold the rear of the exhaust up melted/burned, the exhaust swung over toward the center causing the exhaust tips to hit the bumper cover and POOF! White smoke was rolling up the sides of the car, coming through the vents, the interior got very hot, very fast.

This was about a week before I left for OCS and the girl was going to give me a 'going away present' after dinner. (When I picked her up, her roommate said "I'll see you in the morning if you're not too tired" with a giant grin on her face.)

AO 02-14-2005 10:31 AM

Good thread! I remember taking my buddy for a drive. When I left my sub, I left a nice trail of burnt rubber :burnout: which he couldn't believe cause he'd never done that before.

Then I took him on a nice "S" by my house that dips in the middle. I usually take it at about 70mph, it's rated at 40 IIRC. At this point he was white nuckled and saying "ooooh shiiiii+!" Then the road straightens out and you can fly! We hit 130 before coming up on traffic. I thought I was going to have to rewire the fuse panel as he kept reaching for the imaginary brake pedal. :roflmao:

He was shaking a bit afterward, but then said, "That was awesome!!! I've never done that before." And mine's an 82 US!!!!!!

These cars are frickin amazing! I hope to have mine road-worthy by this weekend... we'll see.

adam928 02-14-2005 10:31 AM

I´ve got plenty... :)

This was at the track. Me and a friend who also owns a 928 where visiting the track at a motor show event. It wasnt really a track day but more of a car show. However the track was open for visitors wanting to give it a try.

When the day was almost over and the track was closed a couple of ladies who had been working in the restaurant during the event approced us and asked if we would give them some laps around the track. We asked the one responsible for the track because in general there is a no passenger rule. He said shoot, give em hell :evilgrin:

So when the first lady got seated in the car I thought that I outha be carefull and not scare her to much. I begun driving a warming lap and all the time she asked questions about the car... you know.. the usual... How fast? Is this a V8? etc... She sat there looking very pleased like we where on a sunday drive through town or something... I thought what the hell ?:rolleyes:

Efter a couple of laps I thought I would tie it up a notch ot two... faster.... later brakes... etc.. Still not forgetting that I in fact had a life more then my own in the passenger seat to take responsibility of...
She got more silent at this point... but still with a pleasant smile on her face..

When we got back in Pit stop there was a BIG smile and a ... "Wow... cant we do another lap.. please?" :D :D

I have to say that she was kind of brave... She had never ever ridden in a car on a track before... I would have wet my pants if I would have got a ride with myself driving lake that... :D

Mark 02-14-2005 11:18 AM

Had a similar one to Adam at a DE a while back. The young lady that got the ride was damned near moaning, as if she was having a great sexual experience.

RJames 02-14-2005 11:40 AM

I remember getting my first ride (and drive) with Chuck.... The next thing I know - I am an owner.

Thanks Chuck!

JPTL 02-14-2005 11:41 AM

When my business partner (not much of a car guy) first saw my car, he said "Nice"...but not much more than that. I recall him referring to it as a 944, and once as a 924.
I knew what his true perception of the car was when he mentioned to me that his brother-in-law had gotten one of those "real" Porsches...referring to a C4S, and he was impressed with how fast it was. It was a slip of his tongue, and I bit mine. I figured I'd let him think what he wanted.
Last year my wife & I met up with him & his wife at their house to go out to dinner. As he was getting into his car with his wife, he paused and then suggested that our wives ride together, since he'd never ridden in my car. I think he just wanted to b.s. on the way, and wanting a ride in my car was the excuse for suggesting the wives ride together.
In any case, when he got in, he immediately commented on how solid the car felt...then got on to a non-car related subject.
I took it easy on the gas, wanting the first impression to be a good one.
After about 10 or 15 minutes of non-eventful driving, we got to some nice, flat twisties in a rural area. It was nice outside, so I put my window down. Not for the air, but so that he could get the full experience (that RMB sounds soooo good at 5k+).
I got on it in 2nd gear, and the rear started to get loose. I didn't let up too quickly, so as to jerk out of the drift...which always gives the sense of lack of control, IMO...PSD took us out of it really smoothly. I then took him through some turns in a spirited way, I must say.
His eyes got really big. 1/2 from fear & 1/2 from exhilaration.
He said something like "Oh my god! What kind of engine is in this car?!! This thing hauls ass! It's scary!"
Since then, when he sees my car, he says "Man, I really like that car."
I think to him, it's now the "real" Porsche.

Pizza 02-14-2005 12:43 PM

We were having lunch at my parents one day and my mother asked if I would pick up my aunt from the senior home across town. When I pulled up in front of the place about twelve seniors were outside (including my aunt) in their wheelchairs and walkers with a few nurses watching out for them. Needless to say all eyes were on the Porsche. When my aunt saw me get out of the car a huge smile came across her face. I don't know if she was happy to see me or if she was happy about the ride she knew she was about to take. My aunt was 78 at the time. She has been a deaf mute since she was 8. It was always hard for me to communicate with her but I could tell she was having a ball on the ride home. I noticed she kept putting her hands on the dash and the door panels. She was feeling the engine running and looking over at me with a huge smile. I figured, what the hell, and I did the "Bwaaah"! I got it up to about 100 MPH. She was ecstatic!! When I went to turn into my parents neighborhood she nudged my arm and made a circle motion with her hand. OK! One more lap! When we finally got to my parents house she explained to my mother with sign language what we had done. All I understood was the number 100! My mother gave me the "Look". She was a little upset. My aunt died 2 years later. That memory will be with me the rest of my life. It was a great day!

AO 02-14-2005 12:51 PM

Good story Pizza!