Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Diesel conversion (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/173306-diesel-conversion.html)

beran earms 07-18-2017 07:31 AM

What about the weight alone, seems that the near 50/50 distribution would be all messed up.

Koenig-Specials 928 07-18-2017 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by James Bailey (Post 14330714)
Your 82 has no " limp mode " .....

I think he meant it's just sick and is limping along

James Bailey 07-18-2017 12:05 PM

I seem to recall a diesel conversion in Europe.....BMW maybe. After all there have been electric and turbine conversions :) Most anything is possible !! even V-12 has been done.

dr bob 07-18-2017 01:04 PM

Hmmm....

Over a dozen years now since this thread was started. In the intervening years, VW/Porsche/Audi diesels have received a serious black eye, and will surely have a very tough time coming back into this market. Of course, the technology has marched along nicely, to the point where there are some really serious performance diesel Merc's and BMW's regularly romping on European motorways at 2x US "safe" speed limits. And yes, I would have one of those here if they were available.

James Bailey 07-18-2017 01:24 PM

The majority of new cars registered in western Europe in 2016 are diesel powered.....so common as to be the norm.

Imo000 07-18-2017 01:40 PM

There are better diesel engines out there that would suit the 928 way better than a Duramax or a Cummins.

V2Rocket 07-18-2017 01:46 PM

that swap sure looks cleanly done though.

Red Flash 07-18-2017 02:48 PM

Exactly. I didn't notice this was another amazing thread revival.

I was reading and thinking, why all the positive comments about diesels? In fact, even in the EU diesels are on the way out.

In Paris soon you will not be able to drive older diesels for instance. Other cities are considering similar laws.

Here's an interesting link: https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...f-diesel-cars/

Sully82928 07-18-2017 02:54 PM

After testing further it seems I have low vacuum Pressure and fuel pressure. The afm doesn't give a consistent resistance as the door opens which explains why it seems so gutless. Its slower than my 91 v6 camaro right now. I understand that a German diesel would be a better fit for the car I've just always been drawn to ludicrous builds that make no sense. I'm fortunate enough to be in se michigan where I can see the Woodward dream cruise every year and I absolutely love the frankencars that roll through. They're art and each one is completely unique.

dr bob 07-18-2017 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sully82928 (Post 14331999)
After testing further it seems I have low vacuum Pressure and fuel pressure. The afm doesn't give a consistent resistance as the door opens which explains why it seems so gutless. Its slower than my 91 v6 camaro right now. I understand that a German diesel would be a better fit for the car I've just always been drawn to ludicrous builds that make no sense. I'm fortunate enough to be in se michigan where I can see the Woodward dream cruise every year and I absolutely love the frankencars that roll through. They're art and each one is completely unique.

Sully --

Start a separate thread about your car and the symptoms you are experiencing. There's a wealth of knowledge available here in the forum ready to get to work with you on the problems.

V2Rocket 07-18-2017 05:41 PM

well, if he had a diesel-swap he would have a problem with vacuum :roflmao:

Originally Posted by Sully82928 (Post 14331999)

Originally Posted by dr bob (Post 14332181)
Sully --

Start a separate thread about your car and the symptoms you are experiencing. There's a wealth of knowledge available here in the forum ready to get to work with you on the problems.

DoubleNutz 07-19-2017 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by dr bob (Post 14331701)
Hmmm....

Over a dozen years now since this thread was started. In the intervening years, VW/Porsche/Audi diesels have received a serious black eye, and will surely have a very tough time coming back into this market. Of course, the technology has marched along nicely, to the point where there are some really serious performance diesel Merc's...

+1:thumbsup: