Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Stiff gas pedal (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/165045-stiff-gas-pedal.html)

Sharkbait 10-17-2004 03:27 PM

Stiff gas pedal

I've driven a few sharks. Do they all have such a heavy, stiff accelerator pedal? I hop in my 04 Tahoe and it's smooth on the gas, on and off. On the shark, I have to practically do leg squats to get that thing to depress. Why did they make these pedals so stiff and heavy to push?

heinrich 10-17-2004 04:50 PM

Make sure all your cables are in good free shape

Vincent_928 10-17-2004 05:22 PM

I too have wondered why the gas pedal on my 86.5 is so stiff - I have three additional 928s, two '79s and an 82.

The gas pedals on these are all very light and require little effort.

It may have something to do with kickdown and that the car starts out in second gear.

Anyhow, I don't know the reason but would love to find out.

Best regards,

Vincent

Barry Johnson 10-17-2004 06:58 PM

I had an idea that it was the return spring on the throttle linkage. The autos (at least 87+) have annoyingly stiff gas pedals. Maybe it is a stiff spring to keep the torque under control? But thats a lame idea, I can do that with my foot :burnout:
Any other ideas? I'd like to fix this too. I noticed it wasn't stiff on a 5 speed I drove, but that was an 84...

Nicole 10-17-2004 07:48 PM

I think it's becaue they had been sued by some turbo owner who crashed and claimed that he/she wasn't warned about how dangerous this car is with all its power. As a result, Porsche made the gas pedals stiffer, so people would not accidentially press it down more than necessary.

Tony 10-18-2004 12:43 AM

Id lay my $$$$ on a cable off the pulley. On the 87s, this is VERY EASY TO HAVE HAPPEN. If you have ever taken the ball and socket joint of the throttle linkage on the side of the manifold, odds are you may have created enough slack to allow the cable to drop off as it slips out of the groove in the pulley. The pulley sist down below the airfilter, snugged up near the MAF. With a long pair of pliers you can get the cable back on. This is for 87 and newer remember, but i guess the 86.5 cars have some pulleys also.

2 things WILL happen
1) throttle is stiff
2) you wont reach WOT

Isnt that right Thanit :D ! BTDT

:cheers:

BrianG 10-18-2004 12:58 AM

Vincent, your '86 should start out in 1st. The S4's were the first to start from a stop in 2nd.

Mine does... :burnout:

UKKid35 10-18-2004 02:35 AM

Cable Routing

The throttle cable A can come off the pulley C as Tony mentioned, and it can also become hooked behind the clip B. Mine was hooked behind this clip causing very still pedal movement. Also the bearing in the pulley can become dirty and seize.

http://www.928.org.uk/~ukkid35/proje...ure%20025b.JPG

heinrich 10-18-2004 10:38 AM

The hooking behind the clip thing can be ugly, I had one saw 1/2-way through that clip.

Sharkbait 10-18-2004 11:12 AM

Dumb question but is that an underside shot or from the top of the engine?

heinrich 10-18-2004 11:16 AM

From the top, driver's side. Looking toward the passenger's side. Rear of of engine/firewall is on the Right.

Sharkbait 10-18-2004 11:18 AM

Thanks, I couldn't get the perspective right until you said that. So I should see the throttle cable riding in a groove around the pulley?

heinrich 10-18-2004 11:23 AM

the cable should be freely moving there. What happens is that the cable as stated by others, slips off, or when installed gets behind that little bracket .. in the pic it should be "below" the bracket ie closest to the photographer. Sometimes it is accidentally captured in that bracket, ie away from the photographer, and proceeds to saw its way through the bracket :)

Mark87AT 10-18-2004 07:52 PM

Hmm.. My pedal is also rather stiff and a bit slow to return, I'll be checking that tonight! Mark

Chris 10-18-2004 08:20 PM

After replacing the pulley shown above, lubricating the return spring, replacing the accelerator cable that runs under the intakes and putting new bearings on the accelerator linkage my pedal is now much smoother and easier to depress.

Well one would hope you would gain something from the above ......

Chris