Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   928S4 drivetrain vibration (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/160026-928s4-drivetrain-vibration.html)

GRUWEZ 09-21-2004 04:02 PM

928S4 drivetrain vibration

Hi everybody,

I am slowly starting to fix all the small ailments that my 928S4 suffers from. Well, maybe I am just too picky, but I want my cars to be close to perfect.

Doing some test drives in the neighborhood I have come to realize that there is a drivetrain vibration in the 3,000 - 3,300 rpm range. The car is an automatic by the way. The vibration is engine speed related and is present in every of the four gears.

I know this is a long shot, but would anyone know how I could start to pinpoint the source of this vibration?

Thanks for the feedback,
Rik Gruwez
Brugge, Belgium

Gretch 09-21-2004 04:04 PM

What year car? how many kilometers on it?

engine mounts? flappy operating correctly......just guessing.....

ROG100 09-21-2004 04:08 PM

Motor Mounts - do a search for information.
Just changed mine and the vibration went away.
Good luck.
Roger

GRUWEZ 09-21-2004 04:10 PM

Here is some more information.

1989 928 S4 (Euro spec) with 160,000 km or 100,000 miles.

What is a "flappy", BTW?

Regards,
Rik Gruwez
Brugge, Belgium

Jim bailey - 928 International 09-21-2004 04:15 PM

Motor mounts are probably collapsed . They are rather expensive and often get ignored .

GRUWEZ 09-21-2004 04:17 PM

Can I visually inspect those motor mounts? How can I tell they are collapsed? I am prepared to buy new ones, but only if I am sure that the current ones are in need of replacement.

Regards,
Rik Gruwez
Brugge, Belgium

Gretch 09-21-2004 04:48 PM

Put a straight edge, front to back, on the top of the intake manifold and see how much higher than the cross member it sits. Somewhere here on this site is a picture of this with good mounts....IIRC the clearance was more than 1/2 an inch....someone check me on this.....the other way is to get under the car and look with a spot light to see if the munts have collapsed.....There is also an engine rev technique where you look to see if the engine rocks back and forth a bit when you blip the throttle... fi it does not chances are the mounts are bad.....

Mongo 09-21-2004 04:51 PM

a simple way would be to put it in neutral and slowly rev it up to the same RPM you noticed the vibration at a full stop. If it does the same thing then definitely mounts. If it happens in motion it could be a torque tube or torque converter issue even (BTW, torque tubes whine when they are on the way out)

Andy :burnout:

Erik - Denmark 09-21-2004 05:02 PM

Rik,
I second the comments about motor mounts, that will reduce but not remove all the vibrations
Mine is a S2 model and I have been working a lot on this '3000 RPM phenomena', who seems to be 'normal' for the 928 models, but only in 4 gear
What I did: Motor and transmission (rear) mounts - This took app. 75% - Then I mounted hydraulic dampers ) front and rear) from the S model on top of the original dampers
- Today I can hardly feel when I pass the 2900 to 3500 RPM area
It seams that this phenomena is connected to the condition of the trans bearings, but I have not BTDT

Garth S 09-21-2004 05:52 PM

Under the car, measure the vertical distance between the tips of the "J" safety hooks on the motor mounts: If there is 1cm clearance, the mounts are collapsed enough to transmit vibration to the chassis.
New mounts are 78mm high : with some acrobatics, you can also measure the installed heights (use a soft piece of solid copper wire, bend to fit - withdraw and measure!).
Search 'Motor mounts': there is a lot of data - I replaced mine recently, and many of us have reported on that.
As Andy notes, if there is an accompaning 'whine', be suspect of the torque tube/converter bearings .

perrys4 09-22-2004 01:45 AM

I have the exact same symptoms. Releasing the pressure on the flex plate took some of it away but my mounts are bad and I have been told by Precision that this is the source of the vibration. Just dont have the spare $$ right now to do it. Re- post to let me know if replacing yours solves the problem.

GRUWEZ 09-22-2004 07:09 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I will put my car on my hoist and check from underneath if the motor mounts are collapsed. If they are, I know what to do one of the coming weekends.

Another question: some of articles I found mentioned the original Porsche mounts could be replaced with Ford ones, which are significantly cheaper. Is this is a safe substitute? Is there any reason not to go for the Ford mounts?

Thanks,
Rik Gruwez
Brugge, Belgium

Garth S 09-22-2004 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by GRUWEZ
Thanks for the feedback. I will put my car on my hoist and check from underneath if the motor mounts are collapsed. If they are, I know what to do one of the coming weekends.

Another question: some of articles I found mentioned the original Porsche mounts could be replaced with Ford ones, which are significantly cheaper. Is this is a safe substitute? Is there any reason not to go for the Ford mounts?

Thanks,
Rik Gruwez
Brugge, Belgium

Rik,
You may read compelling arguments for and against the 'Ford' mounts: I installed them this summer at ~15% the cost of OEM mounts. The fit is excellent, the engine now 'rocks', and the cold start-up chassis vibrations are gone: I am pleased :D . Others have had these mounts in for ~3 years - with no reported problems.

ROG100 09-22-2004 10:43 AM

I did the same bought them from www.rockauto.com for $23 each.
Perfect fit and super smooth.

blau928 09-22-2004 02:14 PM

I have the Ford mounts with 20,000 miles, and no problems..! Cheap and good..! Buy them from Rock Auto on the internet, and save a LOT at $23 each...!!!