Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Hot between the seats! (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/142921-hot-between-the-seats.html)

Brittany Chen Li 06-30-2004 03:35 PM

Hot between the seats!

Hey Guys Does any one else have these problems?
The heat just pours out. I feel is by the Shifter and dash area. I know the heat is shut off but still its way to warm for me.
My AC Sucks! But that’s something we will talk about later!
Thanks, Britt!

heinrich 06-30-2004 03:37 PM

I think this is heat from your cats. Result of sagged motor mounts ... there is also a little piece of foam that goes in there somewhere at the bellhousing to stop this airflow. You'll find that with the sunroof open, it's far worse.

Gretch 06-30-2004 03:56 PM

heatshield above the cats missing?

Wild Bill 06-30-2004 03:58 PM

Rubber shifter boot torn or lose?

bcdavis 06-30-2004 04:09 PM

It's most likely the missing foam, that keeps the hot air from the cats, from sucking up through where your shifter linkage enters the cabin. Even with a good seal on the shift boot, it will still sneak out through the center console. You need to plug that hole with some foam, or it will get hot in the cabin...

WallyP 06-30-2004 04:31 PM

When the motor mounts sag, the foam seal around the shifter opening drops down enough to allow hot air to enter the cabin. Best fix is new motor mounts.

Brittany Chen Li 06-30-2004 05:00 PM

Wow!.. Thanks to all!
I will check to see if the foam is gone. I'll pull off center dash area. And see if I can shove some foam in there for now..?
Motor mounts will cost to much for me right now. Thank You all !!!!!!!!!!!
Britt

Kevin in Atlanta 06-30-2004 05:48 PM

I supplemented the foam, that does break down with time, with fiberglas insulation.

Brittany Chen Li 06-30-2004 05:54 PM

Cool Thank you! I'll try that!
Britt

PbFoot 06-30-2004 06:07 PM

Was this noticeable warmer (hot) when you have the sunroof open? With the sunroof open the air is pulled through the sunroof (I know, duh!) and along with it the heat from the engine/cats.

Randy V 06-30-2004 06:13 PM

Britt, you naughty girl - where you been?

That foam piece is located under the car - between the rear engine and the floor panels.

If you use the Ford Anchor motor mounts and do the work yourself the job will be less than $100.

Beth 06-30-2004 06:25 PM

Great - looks like I'll be changing my motor mounts soon - I have this exact problem.

Shane 06-30-2004 06:53 PM

You might also check with PCNA there is/was a recall for MY'86 928s for heatshields. I know one of mine has been in for the recall but the other has yet to make it in.

Nicole 06-30-2004 07:04 PM

Originally posted by Randy V
...between the rear engine and ...
There is always something new to learn about the 928... Mine only has an engine in the front. :D :roflmao:

Anyway, replacing engine mounts can easily be combined with replacing the oil pan gasked or the steering rack - if necessary. To lift the engine, the rack has to be losened anyway, and the oil pan is more accessible than otherwise. You can evern splurge and add the $15 GTS oil baffle to the pan.

Brittany Chen Li 06-30-2004 07:13 PM

Rear Engine! Sad Thats so backward thinking! AHH!

he he.

I had been away top security stuff! It was a real drag! The only thing more stupid or a waste of my time would have been Nascar. AHHHHH! Thanks to All PS Can I reach it from underneath, or from the inside? Thanks Britt