Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Newer LSD in an older gearbox? (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1320780-newer-lsd-in-an-older-gearbox.html)

swehedman 10-10-2022 01:35 AM

Newer LSD in an older gearbox?

Hi! So im doing a manual conversion on my -81 eur S this winter. I have most parts incl an -82 5-speed without LSD. But i do want LSD…

I have found an complete -85 LSD diff from a 4 speed AT with housing for a wery good price.

I know i can use an LSD from an AT but will a -85 LSD fit an -82 gearbox?

thanks!

The Forgotten On 10-10-2022 05:02 AM

It won't fit. You need a 78-82 LSD. After 83 it changed and isn't compatible with they early boxes.

swehedman 10-10-2022 06:01 AM

thank you. I read someware that the major difference was placement of the Speedometer magnet and maby i could use a later diff lid to get around that?

Originally Posted by The Forgotten On (Post 18403097)
It won't fit. You need a 78-82 LSD. After 83 it changed and isn't compatible with they early boxes.

GregBBRD 10-10-2022 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by swehedman (Post 18403110)
thank you. I read someware that the major difference was placement of the Speedometer magnet and maby i could use a later diff lid to get around that?

No, the offset of the ring gear is different, requiring a different differential or a spacer between the ring gear and the differential and longer bolts.

swehedman 10-11-2022 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by GregBBRD (Post 18404244)
No, the offset of the ring gear is different, requiring a different differential or a spacer between the ring gear and the differential and longer bolts.

thsnk you Greg. So if i understand you. It can be mounted in the 82 gearbox but i would need to fabricate a spacer? My plan was to move my old ringgear over so that would be a match to the pinion gear in the old box.

do you know how thick the spacer have to be?

GregBBRD 10-11-2022 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by swehedman (Post 18404963)
thsnk you Greg. So if i understand you. It can be mounted in the 82 gearbox but i would need to fabricate a spacer? My plan was to move my old ringgear over so that would be a match to the pinion gear in the old box.

do you know how thick the spacer have to be?

Of course you have to use your original ring gear with your original pinion. They are an inseparable pair, from their creation to their last day. You loose one...and the other is scrap metal.

Sorry, it's been too many years, for me to recall the details about what thickness spacer is needed.
Trade your '85 limited slip for the correct limited slip.
Way easier.

swehedman 10-11-2022 02:55 AM

Thanks again Greg! If i could find a early LSD or even a G28.10 or later gearbox for a resonable price i would but it. Problem is the market here in Sweden is super small and even extending my search to central europé has not given any results yet.

Originally Posted by GregBBRD (Post 18404966)
Of course you have to use your original ring gear with your original pinion. They are an inseparable pair, from their creation to their last day. You loose one...and the other is scrap metal.

Sorry, it's been too many years, for me to recall the details about what thickness spacer is needed.
Trade your '85 limited slip for the correct limited slip.
Way easier.

swehedman 10-22-2022 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by The Forgotten On (Post 18403097)

Will the later style LSD fit a G28.07 gearbox. Its still not the Borg Werner but its later then -83.

GregBBRD 10-22-2022 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by swehedman (Post 18424024)
Will the later style LSD fit a G28.07 gearbox. Its still not the Borg Werner but its later then -83.

I'm not sure....
If it didn't cost so much for you in shipping, I'd just trade you your later limited slip for the correct one you need.
I've got many of each and one or the other doesn't make much difference to me.

swehedman 10-23-2022 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by GregBBRD (Post 18424937)
I'm not sure....
If it didn't cost so much for you in shipping, I'd just trade you your later limited slip for the correct one you need.
I've got many of each and one or the other doesn't make much difference to me.

wow Greg! Thats wery nice of you! If you are seriouse that might acctually be an option. I think shipping isnt the worst part. VAT and customs usually is the killer. But for a swap i dont think i would need to pay those fees. I will contact u via PM.

belgiumbarry 10-23-2022 01:43 PM

strange question... we did just the opposite , placing a old LSD in a newer gearbox.....to have best of both .

swehedman 10-23-2022 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by belgiumbarry (Post 18425621)
strange question... we did just the opposite , placing a old LSD in a newer gearbox.....to have best of both .

yes. That would be ideal. But that would only be possible if i had a pre 85 LSD and a post 85 gearbox but i have the opposite…

These parts are not that easy to find anymore at least not in europe.

GregBBRD 10-23-2022 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by swehedman (Post 18425221)
wow Greg! Thats wery nice of you! If you are seriouse that might acctually be an option. I think shipping isnt the worst part. VAT and customs usually is the killer. But for a swap i dont think i would need to pay those fees. I will contact u via PM.

I won't see my PM's until tomorrow, but if you can figure it out, it's fine with me to swap, as I said.

The Forgotten On 10-24-2022 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by belgiumbarry (Post 18425621)

Easiest way to do this is to get an 83-84 LSD. It has the early style LSD build with the later offset. So it fits any 85-95 box as well last I knew.

But those ones are pretty rare now. So they are worth real $$$.

swehedman 10-24-2022 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by The Forgotten On (Post 18426484)
Easiest way to do this is to get an 83-84 LSD. It has the early style LSD build with the later offset. So it fits any 85-95 box as well last I knew.

But those ones are pretty rare now. So they are worth real $$$.

so the offset charged in 83 but the internats in the LSD chenged in 85? Does this aply to both manual and automatic gearboxes?

if this is the case then a 85 LSD would have the correct offset for a -83 G28.07 manual box, yes?