Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   GTS previously owned by Nicholous Cage (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1266817-gts-previously-owned-by-nicholous-cage.html)

Harvey928 09-01-2021 01:27 PM

GTS previously owned by Nicholous Cage

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=307910297

price dropped by 48k.

GregBBRD 09-01-2021 01:59 PM

The "problem" with these low mileage 928's is the engine coolant change intervals.

Almost none had the coolant changed every two years....and I've seen some that appear to still have the original coolant.

The resulting acid coolant block and head corrosion damage can easily be terminal...and having to find, rebuild, and install a GTS engine into an already expensive car can quickly add another 50K to the equation.

4664 09-01-2021 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Harvey928 (Post 17642189)

Definitely not GONE IN 60 SECONDS DAYS :cool:

NoVector 09-01-2021 03:07 PM

Thanks, Harvey. Price and maintenance aside, it's nice to see pics of low mileage cars to see how things are supposed to look and how hoses are routed.

linderpat 09-01-2021 05:12 PM

Most buyers will never consider the coolant issue. If it has been reasonably maintained with coolant flushes over the years, it should be fine ( I would be surprised if it it hasn’t had some reasonable maintenance). Anyway, for mileage and condition, that seems correctly priced to me.

GregBBRD 09-01-2021 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by linderpat (Post 17642792)
Most buyers will never consider the coolant issue. If it has been reasonably maintained with coolant flushes over the years, it should be fine ( I would be surprised if it it hasn’t had some reasonable maintenance). Anyway, for mileage and condition, that seems correctly priced to me.

No one should ever buy a low mileage water cooled car (which is 35 years old) without knowing how bad the corrosion inside is.....
Just like no one should ever buy an automatic 928 unless the crankshaft endplay has been checked.

We just finished a GTS rebuild that had just over 100,000 miles, which had obviously suffered from "neglected coolant change intervals".....
It wasn't pretty!
We actually had to do some welding to the crankcase (and some significant welding to the heads.)
I also changed the water crossover and the thermostat housing.
A few more years and this engine would have been junk!

There's quick ways to get an idea of how bad the corrosion actually is:

Look all the way around the outer perimeter where the heads meet the head gaskets.
And/Or pull the front thermostat housing and thermostat to look for corrosion damage in those aluminum parts.

ROG100 09-01-2021 08:24 PM

Absolutely a beautiful car. I hope they get the money for it.

928 GT R 09-02-2021 12:51 AM

Nice car, It is cleaner than the last time I saw it, and it was darn clean then!

My guess is that it is probably headed to Europe.

worf928 09-02-2021 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by GregBBRD (Post 17642892)
No one should ever buy a low mileage water cooled car (which is 35 years old) without knowing how bad the corrosion inside is.....
Just like no one should ever buy an automatic 928 unless the crankshaft endplay has been checked.

I’ve just about given up trying explain this —^.

In my opinion porosity of the head casting is an indicator for how fast the heads will be junk with no coolant changes and, furthermore, it seems that the newer the casting the more porous it is. And thus, again, IMO, the ‘newer’ heads are likely to be more-corroded than ‘older’ heads given the exact same conditions of neglect.

Bottomline: I think over the next 10 years the ‘87-‘95 ‘fleet’ will be significantly reduced due to TBF and HG failure.

GregBBRD 09-02-2021 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by worf928 (Post 17643596)
I’ve just about given up trying explain this —^.

In my opinion porosity of the head casting is an indicator for how fast the heads will be junk with no coolant changes and, furthermore, it seems that the newer the casting the more porous it is. And thus, again, IMO, the ‘newer’ heads are likely to be more-corroded than ‘older’ heads given the exact same conditions of neglect.

Bottomline: I think over the next 10 years the ‘87-‘95 ‘fleet’ will be significantly reduced due to TBF and HG failure.

Agreed.
100%!

The best castings were the '87/'88 heads, but because of the design problem, these heads are prone to cracking, which is getting to be more and more common.
....Common enough that I don't rebuild '87/'88 engines and leave these heads on, unless I absolutely have no choice.

Combine the '87/'88 head cracking, the head gasket/corrosion problems, TBF, no oversize pistons from Porsche, a lack of manual transmission parts, fire from original fuel hoses, fire from replacement fuel hoses made from rubber, fire from power steering hoses, and a huge percentage of these cars will become "unstartable garage junk", in the next 10 years.

Of course the ones that do survive will be extremely valuable.
We're rebuilding those now, as quickly as we can schedule and get to them.

linderpat 09-02-2021 08:29 AM

Okay, so what I'm hearing from the smartest guys in the room is that the critics of these cars have been right all along all these years, they really are expensive pieces of garbage, hard and expensive to maintain with extraordinarily complicated systems, and the bump in values these past few years is an anomoly, and soon they'll just basically rot where they sit, and the values will plummet. I guess it's time to get out then. What's the next big thing to get into if on likes classic supercars?

My red 85 5 speed is now for sale. Fully sorted, running great, newly charged a/c, 4 wheel drive (no doubt), and it has not yet hand grenaded. It probably has about 2 to 3 more seasons of useful life, so get it while you can. $26K firm. In fact, so is my 997. Ifthe IMS doesn't kill it (it was replaced by me, but who knows?), then bore scroring will. That's for sale too - $35K firm (it is fully sorted btw, but who knows how long that will last).

The upshot is Porsche sucks. Time to move to Ferrari.

Jadz928 09-02-2021 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by linderpat (Post 17643761)
Okay, so what I'm hearing from the smartest guys in the room is that the critics of these cars have been right all along all these years, they really are expensive pieces of garbage, hard and expensive to maintain with extraordinarily complicated systems, and the bump in values these past few years is an anomoly, and soon they'll just basically rot where they sit, and the values will plummet. I guess it's time to get out then. What's the next big thing to get into if on likes classic supercars?

My red 85 5 speed is now for sale. Fully sorted, running great, newly charged a/c, 4 wheel drive (no doubt), and it has not yet hand grenaded. It probably has about 2 to 3 more seasons of useful life, so get it while you can. $26K firm. In fact, so is my 997. Ifthe IMS doesn't kill it (it was replaced by me, but who knows?), then bore scroring will. That's for sale too - $35K firm (it is fully sorted btw, but who knows how long that will last).

The upshot is Porsche sucks. Time to move to Ferrari.

I hope this is sarcasm. Ed, your enthusiasm for the marque is unparalleled. Please don't let these fatalistic concerns change that.

I could get cancer today and die tomorrow. I don't live my life thinking about it. I just go on trying to keep happy, and change my coolant regularly. :)

4664 09-02-2021 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by linderpat (Post 17643761)
I guess it's time to get out then. What's the next big thing to get into if on likes classic supercars?

No idea. The 911 might be worth looking into, as I hear that it's recently been up-and-coming...oh, wait; that's Porsche too. Never mind then.
:D

worf928 09-02-2021 09:11 AM

Yup. Why I’m giving up. Because, apparently head gaskets on 1985 Toyotas last forever, everybody knows it, and the 928’s gaskets should also last forever.

Ferarri gaskets? Yeah: last forever. Fiat, Lamborghini, Chevy, Chrysler? Yeah, last forever.

Greg? 964 and 993 head gasksts last forever too? Right?

linderpat 09-02-2021 10:45 AM

Completely missing the point Dave. You guys are creating near hysteria that if the coolant isn’t changed every two years, and hasn’t been done so since the car was made, the heads will rot and the car will turn to junk. That’s what I’m reading in these threads. Nobody is saying any car make head gaskets will last forever. I’m not saying that at all.