Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   People ask me what sort of a person should develop new parts for the 928 community (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1220220-people-ask-me-what-sort-of-a-person-should-develop-new-parts-for-the-928-community.html)

Kevin in Atlanta 10-26-2020 12:09 PM

People ask me what sort of a person should develop new parts for the 928 community

And I tell them nobody. :-)

The market is small and getting smaller.

Some owners are so tight they squeak when they walk.

Some are full of opinions on how to make your design better.

Some offer backhanded compliments.

Some claim to already have that designed.

Some will out and out steal your works and boast about it. Potdog buys from GB and shamelessly copies his work.

That being said...

We have some amazing talent here. GB, Hans and Ken come to mind. I am none of them by a long shot.

For me, it is not about the money. I enjoy finding opportunities and have the financial wherewithal to do it.

Are any of my designs perfect? - oh hell no. But, they are a good start.

Alan 10-26-2020 12:27 PM

Yes - It certainly looks like it can be a thankless task... and not terribly lucrative either

But I do THANK YOU for trying and eventually succeeding

I also THANK EVERYONE who not only comes up with an idea - but pushes it through to availability for other owners

THANKS to the vendors who support & stock these products

THANKS to the vendors who recycle used 928 parts

THANKS to the vendors who find alternative compatible parts, or push Porsche to make more

You know who you are (and so do we) - you help keep 928's running and improving

Alan

Wisconsin Joe 10-26-2020 12:32 PM

Incredibly thick skin.

Incredibly deep pockets.

Incredibly forgiving. Gullible probably 'helps' too.

Seriously, thanks.

Your fuel regulator project is very promising.
Your belly pan project came out rather nicely (yeah, I know it was collaborative).

Ken's stuff is pretty cool.
Hans' stuff is too.
Greg too.

I know Roger doesn't actually develop the stuff (engineering side), but he goes to great effort to source stuff.
A while back, he saw a rather clever little 'add on' that someone had made. The maker explained the materials source, and the fact that he had fabricated a tool specific to the piece to make it. Making more would have been a fairly simple task.
Roger didn't even hesitate. He offered to market the piece. He basically said "You make it, I'll sell it".
(yes, this is intentionally vague - AFAIK, it didn't happen)

I remember when Polecat (Joe) was going to make & sell the cooling ducts for the later belly pans. He came into it with good faith and found that the vast majority of the folks who 'promised' to support the venture wouldn't.
I honestly don't understand how they put up with all the crap.
Better men than I am (you too).

GT6ixer 10-26-2020 02:19 PM

I find the 928 community actually a very thankful group when it comes to the few parts I have developed so far. I do it for the challenge and fun I get from trying to recreate NLA parts. I'm not in it as a business but rather a way to help support those who don't have any other options to source NLA parts, however I totally understand the frustrations the Kevin lists. The minority of negative voices can sometimes seem to drown out the supportive ones. Folks like Greg and Roger whose livelihoods depends on the support of the 928 community have my total respect.

Adamant1971 10-26-2020 02:48 PM

Like any business, there will always be A-hole customers. That is just a fact of life. As a former restaurant owner, I can tell you the pain you are feeling is nothing when compared to the hospitality industry.

The best way forward is to ignore these people and carry on with your awesome projects. Posting a thread like this may seem like a good idea, but in the end, it does nothing to protect your business or to punish the ones who are threatening it.

Personally I would not post a single image or detail on this site (or any internet forum) until you have a product ready for market. Doing so just gives the copy cats more time to prepare or inject their baseless opinions.

Keep up the awesome work Kevin. :)

928Myles 10-26-2020 02:55 PM

I also appreciate those who put time and energy (and $$$$) into developing parts for these cars. Thank you.

The vast majority are what I would call 'hobbyists' who dive into the deep and learn along the way. Could their products be improved - usually (almost any thing can be made 'better'), but not without significant time or money expenditure which they ether don't have or can't justify.
Some do as a side to their main business, often so they can access something for the cars that they otherwise couldn't. Again, time & cost have to be balanced against 'perfection'.

None are what I would call 'professional' parts developers with big $$$ and years of experience to put towards developing a part. These people will never be interested in the 928 parts market until these cars are worth 10x what they are now and have owners with similarly deep pockets.

Again, thank you to the many out there who help keep these cars on the road.

Myles

Mark Anderson 10-26-2020 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin in Atlanta (Post 16987478)

I actually had a customer ask if I sold used spark plugs last week.

Adamant1971 10-26-2020 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Anderson (Post 16987904)

I've got some used condoms for sale. Ha Ha

dr bob 10-26-2020 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin in Atlanta (Post 16987478)

Originally Posted by Mark Anderson (Post 16987904)

So did you sell them a set? Or were they looking for a set of original plugs for concourse project?

Mark, I'd like to buy a bucket of used 928 bolts. Not too big, not too small, but a complete set. If you can't ship them for free, I can probably arrange for local pick-up. Half price for the holidays? ;)

Mark Anderson 10-26-2020 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by dr bob (Post 16988024)
So did you sell them a set? Or were they looking for a set of original plugs for concourse project?

Mark, I'd like to buy a bucket of used 928 bolts. Not too big, not too small, but a complete set. If you can't ship them for free, I can probably arrange for local pick-up. Half price for the holidays? ;)

and the plating needs to be perfect with the right date stamps

Rob Edwards 10-26-2020 04:42 PM

There's no date stamp on bolts. :rtfm:

Mark Anderson 10-26-2020 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rob Edwards (Post 16988130)
There's no date stamp on bolts. :rtfm:

but isn't there a marking from different manufactures? Doesn't early car hardware have a different look?

Rob Edwards 10-26-2020 04:50 PM

Very much so, yes. I was just being _that_ customer.

GregBBRD 10-26-2020 07:42 PM

Complete idiots who love the car more than making money....
I've got almost 100 separate custom products for use on 928s. I've got 11 more "in the process" of being made, currently.
I doubt I will ever break anywhere near even on any single product, if I count developmental/testing time.

I make pieces because I need them, for use on my own client's cars.

Occasionally, I don't tell anyone (outside of my shop) about pieces I make.
Occasionally, someone else will want something I make and buy it. I will supply that part to that person, if possible.
Occasionally, someone will see something I make and copy it.

I'm supposed to be "flattered".

I'm not.

Wisconsin Joe 10-26-2020 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Adamant1971 (Post 16988004)
I've got some used condoms for sale. Ha Ha

Don't laugh.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-54284355