Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   928 forums - is there one more popular than rennlist (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1147008-928-forums-is-there-one-more-popular-than-rennlist.html)

SteveG 06-11-2019 11:19 AM

Knowledge

Originally Posted by rsabeebe (Post 15896148)
curious if there are other forums that are more popular for the 928 or that have an equal amount of content.

So it's a popularity contest, eh? Then I have to ask -

Are you looking for entertainment or technical know-how? I don't understand why this has gone to 30+ posts. The best fights and the best gurus are here. :evilgrin:

GeorgeM 06-11-2019 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by NoVector (Post 15897395)
I haven't seen that in a long, long time. In fact, I think there's more interest in 924, 944, 928, 968 as they're not seen as often as the 996, 997, boxster, etc.

... and a big push to get 4-door owners into the fold.

Unfortunately, I can't completely disagree with Sterling's comment. Not that there aren't any PCA politics (there most certainly are), but most of the personality (or perceived personality) of PCA is gained through experience at the region level. If X region is run by a bunch of a$$holes, then that reputation sticks to the group and the folks that are turned off by that get a bad taste for PCA and either don't show up at events or don't renew. Even today, out of 145 regions, I'm sure there's at least one out there like that. It doesn't even take that much to push folks away. A simple "no one greeted and welcomed me to my first event" is all it takes.

Ideally, it's the cars that bring members together. At least in our region, we couldn't care less what kind of Porsche you have and it's been that way for as long as I've been around. We've met some of our best friends through PCA.... and that's what it should be all about.

Kongmiami 06-11-2019 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by SteveG (Post 15900301)
So it's a popularity contest, eh? Then I have to ask -

Are you looking for entertainment or technical know-how? I don't understand why this has gone to 30+ posts. The best fights and the best gurus are here. :evilgrin:

Because this is Rennlist...

hb253 06-11-2019 05:44 PM

"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy" is what comes to mind when people mention Facebook.

Hugo

hacker-pschorr 06-11-2019 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by hb253 (Post 15901193)
"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy" is what comes to mind when people mention Facebook.

Hugo

Yup
That's why the best groups have gone 100% private and are not even viewable to the general public.

SeanR 06-11-2019 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr (Post 15901263)
Yup
That's why the best groups have gone 100% private and are not even viewable to the general public.

And very picky about who gets in them.

Crumpler 06-11-2019 09:45 PM

This forum is as close to social media as I get.
Literally.
I assumed Facebook was only about connecting with old girlfriends or relatives sending me pictures of their cats.

Now I have to re-evaluate.
;)

linderpat 06-12-2019 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Crumpler (Post 15901690)
Literally.
I assumed Facebook was only about connecting with old girlfriends or relatives sending me pictures of their cats.

;)

It's also a lot of people taking pictures of their food. For some reason, lots of people photograph their food then post it on FB. Never understood that.

Bertrand Daoust 06-12-2019 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Crumpler (Post 15901690)
Literally.

;)

+1.
I'm on Rennlist and that's it.
No need for me to know what the so called "friends" have done or eated last night!

As long as I have news of you guys, I'm good! :)

Renllist is the best.

928 GT R 06-12-2019 09:15 AM

Since I do not do Disgracebook, and never will, I am all for keeping this forum as the central source for information and promotion of the 928 as a fun and collectable car.

The huge amount of information shared here is simply incredible and we are all in huge debt to the real contributors of this resource. I mostly used it as a reading resource for about ten years before trying to contribute or even participate in the conversation. Pelican is the only other place where significant information is stored that I use (and I have not been invited to any other high level private groups).

If Rennlist went away, I'd be one unhappy camper and hope that any great contributors that have left - come back here and stay here.

Too much good can come from us working together here on Rennlist - compared to fracturing out into a hundred sub-sets of non-searchable dead ends... :bowdown:

>

ptuomov 06-13-2019 04:50 PM

I am not always sure that this forum is managed in the best possible way. For example, they just deleted my thread on WTB 28.13 LSD on the grounds that I'm no longer a member. That thread had a long time ago migrated from wanted to buy thread to a general transmission thread, so I think it was another moderation decision that subtracted long-term value in net from the ultimate owners of the site.

hacker-pschorr 06-13-2019 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by ptuomov (Post 15905557)
I am not always sure that this forum is managed in the best possible way. For example, they just deleted my thread on WTB 28.13 LSD on the grounds that I'm no longer a member. That thread had a long time ago migrated from wanted to buy thread to a general transmission thread, so I think it was another moderation decision that subtracted long-term value in net from the ultimate owners of the site.

Let me ask you this, before whining about it in this thread, did you reply back to the moderator who deleted the tread in question (it wasn't me for anyone wondering, I just saw it myself)?
If not, why not?

Moderators are just people, un-paid volunteers who roam the dark alley's of Rennlist and take care of violations as they are found. Your thread was titled "WTB" and you are no longer a paid member. Pretty cut and dry....on the surface....and a quick note to the deleting moderator in question could have made things more clear.

So, I took it upon myself to re-name your thread to something more appropriate and it's back open.

Nice and easy, see, we are not monsters just trying to ruin your day after-all. :cool:

Next time, just PM one of us.

ptuomov 06-13-2019 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr (Post 15905636)
Let me ask you this, before whining about it in this thread, did you reply back to the moderator who deleted the tread in question (it wasn't me for anyone wondering, I just saw it myself)?
If not, why not?

Moderators are just people, un-paid volunteers who roam the dark alley's of Rennlist and take care of violations as they are found. Your thread was titled "WTB" and you are no longer a paid member. Pretty cut and dry....on the surface....and a quick note to the deleting moderator in question could have made things more clear.

So, I took it upon myself to re-name your thread to something more appropriate and it's back open.

Nice and easy, see, we are not monsters just trying to ruin your day after-all. :cool:

Next time, just PM one of us.

I tried responding to the message and it got rejected.

dr bob 06-14-2019 03:26 PM

Tuomo,

I'm a little surprised that you let your membership lapse. Take a few minutes and renew, and these noisy little challenges would magically go away. Just sayin... Almost informative 4700 posts from you at this point, and I daresay I enjoy all of them.

----

The forum moderators are listed in the header bar for the forum so you can just click on your favorite one to PM them. I have some limited moderator privs and can usually solve simple issues, if you want to PM me. I check in a couple times a day but don't camp out here 24/7/365. For issues with threads and posts that are still alive, use the "report post" button lower left in the post to bring something to the attention of all the moderators.

As Erik shares, moderators are enthusiast members just like you, folks who have other things going on like families and day jobs. My big duty is zapping posts and threads from love doctors and marriage assistants. Sometimes admin duty, like sticky for an event announcement. Once in a while a user gets a note from me about the for-sale and WTB restrictions on non-members. Long-time folks who might have forgotten to renew get a PM reminder, then if no action is taken we are forced to delete the thread. For someone who seriously wants to find or sell a 928 part bigger than a single used wheel nut here, the cost of membership is easily justified. I can't count past ten without taking my shoes off, and I can figure that out without an abacus. Computer science was a Godsend for me, since I only needed to count to 1. Hex was a massive challenge until I added letters to my first 110 toes!

EspritS4s 06-16-2019 03:48 AM

Sorry, but I have to LOL (Laugh Out Loud) at the idea that the FB groups will replace this forum any time soon. FB is all about sharing pictures and quick thoughts, but most of the real meat is here. That doesnt mean things wont change, but FB is so far from Rennlist, it isn't even funny. Share your pics and daily updates on FB, but we all know you'll be back here for real info in keeping your 928 on the road...