Notices
928 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: 928 Specialists

Teledial and later brakes/suspension?

 
Old 04-18-2019, 06:48 AM
  #1  
C531XHO
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 291
Default Teledial and later brakes/suspension?

Hi all,

Just planning and trying to figure out if Teledials will fit my 1985 S2 auto. It seems to be 86.5 spec in that it has adjustable shocks and the 4 piston Brembo brakes. Will 16" ET65 Teledials or the 944 Turbo ET52(?)s fit or are there issues with clearance?

D

Last edited by C531XHO; 04-18-2019 at 07:10 AM.
C531XHO is online now  
Old 04-18-2019, 11:27 AM
  #2  
Hacker-Pschorr
Super Moderator - Cracklin' Rosie
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
Hacker-Pschorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Up Nort
Posts: 10,062,685
Default

You want the ET65's on the front. No exceptions.

Have you inspected the install, are the calipers installed with adapters or do you have 86.5 spindles? This could effect the fitment.

Some say yes, other say no.....after talking to some people in the "no" column who actually tried it, there are more than one style of 928 phone dials, early (78-79) and those made after.
I have a set of phone dials off my 80 I've been meaning to fit on my S4 to verify this for myself and add to the data points, haven't done so yet.

There also may be casting variances which will effect the clearance with the back of the wheel face and the caliper.

Short answer, it can work. I've fit my phone dials to my 87, another local 87, and my 79 which has S4 brakes. There is not much clearance (couple thousandths on an inch) between the back of the wheel face and my calipers.




Hacker-Pschorr is offline  
Old 04-18-2019, 01:50 PM
  #3  
C531XHO
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 291
Default

Hi Hacker, thanks for the reply. My calipers don't have adaptors, not sure about spindle lengths - I am trying to gen up. I don't have wheels for a trial fit yet either, just trying to establish if it's feasible. Any idea what year was the cut off for viable candidates?
D

Love your car BTW!
C531XHO is online now  
Old 04-19-2019, 09:29 AM
  #4  
Mrmerlin
Petie3rd
Rennlist Member

This Post Sponsored by:
Dow Corning® & DeoxIT®
 
Mrmerlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Philly PA
Posts: 22,610
Default

Eric thats a beautiful car you have, the wheels are very nice as well
Mrmerlin is offline  
Old 04-19-2019, 10:14 AM
  #5  
Hacker-Pschorr
Super Moderator - Cracklin' Rosie
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
Hacker-Pschorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Up Nort
Posts: 10,062,685
Default

Originally Posted by C531XHO View Post
Any idea what year was the cut off for viable candidates?
You're a few weeks ahead of me on that one. Once my 87 is up in the air I plan to test fit the dials from my 80 and compare whatever numbers I can find on them.
I'm also digging around local collections to find any phone dials I can test fit, see if we can't get this figured out.

Originally Posted by Mrmerlin View Post
Eric thats a beautiful car you have, the wheels are very nice as well
To think the person I purchased it from was going to part it out. This was obviously before the market started to turn in our favor.
Hacker-Pschorr is offline  
Old 04-20-2019, 10:23 PM
  #6  
abrescia
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
abrescia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 187
Default

I just did this to my 86.5. You’ll need to find 3mm thick spacers with 71.6 hub centers for the fronts- which are like $14. I’m away from home this weekend but if you need the brand I can get it for you. The rears will depend on what size wheel/tire you want to run back there and whether or not you have the factory 20mm (I think) spacers. My car came with those spacers. They have a Porsche part number on them and I think were fitted from the factory for US market cars (not sure on that fact). Anyway- it can work and you can PM with any questions.
abrescia is offline  
Old 04-21-2019, 06:20 AM
  #7  
C531XHO
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 291
Default

Originally Posted by abrescia View Post
I just did this to my 86.5. You’ll need to find 3mm thick spacers with 71.6 hub centers for the fronts- which are like $14. I’m away from home this weekend but if you need the brand I can get it for you. The rears will depend on what size wheel/tire you want to run back there and whether or not you have the factory 20mm (I think) spacers. My car came with those spacers. They have a Porsche part number on them and I think were fitted from the factory for US market cars (not sure on that fact). Anyway- it can work and you can PM with any questions.
Hi abrescia, that looks absolutely fabulous. I love the black and silver look. I haven't got rear spacers on my car but funnily enough someone offered me some last week. I would be interested to know where you picked up uour front spacers.
I think my car had manhole covers originally but these got swapped out for BBS but it running S4 manholes wider on the rear. Re tyre sizes i am thinking not radical, probably standard. My car is Iris blue metallic, thinking about some gold/bronze/gulf orange ideas maybe. I feel a bit of Photoshop coming on
D
C531XHO is online now  
Old 04-21-2019, 08:21 AM
  #8  
drooman
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
drooman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CT and FL
Posts: 1,075
Default

Originally Posted by C531XHO View Post
Hi abrescia, that looks absolutely fabulous. I love the black and silver look. I haven't got rear spacers on my car but funnily enough someone offered me some last week. I would be interested to know where you picked up uour front spacers.
I think my car had manhole covers originally but these got swapped out for BBS but it running S4 manholes wider on the rear. Re tyre sizes i am thinking not radical, probably standard. My car is Iris blue metallic, thinking about some gold/bronze/gulf orange ideas maybe. I feel a bit of Photoshop coming on
D
i saw this car in person yesterday .. the wheel fitmant was excellent, the 3mm spacers did not really impact the front offset enough to even notice it. I think the rears were late 951 rears? The whole execution really worked well ..maybe Abrescia could post detail photos of the tire clearances and sizes.
drooman is offline  
Old 04-21-2019, 09:31 AM
  #9  
abrescia
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
abrescia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 187
Default

Originally Posted by drooman View Post
i saw this car in person yesterday .. the wheel fitmant was excellent, the 3mm spacers did not really impact the front offset enough to even notice it. I think the rears were late 951 rears? The whole execution really worked well ..maybe Abrescia could post detail photos of the tire clearances and sizes.
well thanks drooman! It really was great to run into you and learn more about #1, and then to run into you again and learn more about my car.
abrescia is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: