Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Just saying hello -- '88 S4 Auto (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1137979-just-saying-hello-88-s4-auto.html)

RDEI 04-10-2019 06:45 PM

Just saying hello -- '88 S4 Auto

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...1680f1510d.jpg

I've been lurking for about a year, and just became a paid member today. I figured I should introduce myself and my car.

I wasn't a Porsche guy until I came across an '88 S4 for sale in my hometown. It's a driver for sure, but it's relatively unmolested from it's stock condition. The driver's side, rear bumper and both doors have been resprayed, and none too well. The picture was taken shortly after I bought the car.

The skinny:

1988 928S 4
Automatic
Guards Red
Linen/Black interior
Only option of note is the absence of rub strips
Odometer is non-operational and shows just shy of 74,000 miles

Outside of immediately replacing the water pump and timing belt, and then replacing the fuel pump shortly thereafter, I haven't done much to the car in the year I've had it.
I've just recently purchased PorKen's lift bars and will be getting to work this summer. Torque tube is noisy, and everything needs a refresh. Should be a lot of fun.

Ryan Ingram

polecat702 04-10-2019 06:51 PM

You'll learn in time that membership is the best money you'll ever spend when owning a 928. Welcome to the shark tank.

Wisconsin Joe 04-10-2019 08:49 PM

Welcome.

Check out the Super Bearings from Black Sea. Top of the line replacements for the TT.

Not cheap (big surprise on this car), but much, much better than the originals.

Odo is likely the gear. Dwayne has a really good write up on it. Roger has the gear.

Since it's an auto, I hope you've checked the flex plate and crank end play.
Having the TT out for bearing replacement is a good time to add one of the clamps to prevent shaft migration, flex plate loading and thrust bearing failure (destroying the engine).

If you've been lurking and reading, none of this should be new or a surprise, but better to tell you stuff you already know than have you miss something serious.

hlee96 04-10-2019 08:59 PM

Congratulations and welcome!
Single stage red paint is easier to addressed I think. Wet sanding and polish/wax or seal will bring back the shine!

karl ruiter 04-10-2019 08:59 PM

Very Nice. I have a very similar car although much worse condition.

frugal928 04-11-2019 12:30 AM

Congrats. Nice. I'm a newbie since I got my 88 more 1.5 months ago. You will learn so much on here (a wealth of knowledge) that will save you a lot of money as a DIYer.
I can't wait when you ask yourself "who is Roger?" How much for wires? Please let me be in tolerance for the flex plate, Fuel line replacement. ..just to name a few.

RDEI 04-11-2019 05:23 PM

Thanks for the welcome, fellas. This forum and the community that keeps it thriving are the reasons I had no doubts about undertaking the project.

Flex plate loading was checked before the water pump and belt were serviced. I had the work done at an independent Porsche shop in Louisville, KY.
I inquired with Constantine at Black Sea this past fall about sourcing the Super Clamp and parts to rebuild the torque tube, but he told me to wait until I was able to verify my driveshaft type. I may let him do the rebuild because his work looks spectacular and everyone here raves about his products.
I'll probably start with replacing the odometer gear. All of Dwayne's write-ups are fantastic, and it'll be something easy enough for me to get my feet wet before I get under the hood.

Mrmerlin 04-11-2019 07:58 PM

Welcome to the shark tank,
The only thing i can add is to Disconnect the battery before you take apart the pod

Randy V 04-11-2019 08:02 PM

Hello!

NickTucker 04-17-2019 09:51 PM

Welcome to the tank... Looks like mine :)