Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   S4 won’t start after being hit in rear (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1137876-s4-wonit-start-after-being-hit-in-rear.html)

FREAKINHEAT 04-09-2019 11:47 PM

S4 won’t start after being hit in rear

So my car was parked in front of a car that was rear ended. It moved my car about two feet. When I went to start the car, it won’t turn over. All the lights are on, but no start. No crank no noise. So I thought my battery maybe was dead and charged it. Tried again and still nothing? I checked the ground strap and it’s bolted down as should be. Is there something I’m missing here? What else could have come loose or broken due to this? Thanks in advance.

Mrmerlin 04-10-2019 12:14 AM

Sorry about your car,
how about a picture of the damage

worf928 04-10-2019 12:20 AM

What Stan wrote --^

And, keep the battery disconnected until this gets figured out or you are doing diagnostics.

worf928 04-10-2019 12:21 AM

Oh. And, year of 928, mileage and transaxle type.

dr bob 04-10-2019 12:43 AM

Put the gear lever in neutral. The neutral safety switch on the gearbox looks for park or neutral. It grounds one side of the coil in the starter relay. Ground point is in the spare wheel well, covered by a triangle-shaped plastic shield held on by a nut over a body stud, forward right-center after the spare is removed.

FREAKINHEAT 04-10-2019 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by dr bob (Post 15762983)
Put the gear lever in neutral. The neutral safety switch on the gearbox looks for park or neutral. It grounds one side of the coil in the starter relay. Ground point is in the spare wheel well, covered by a triangle-shaped plastic shield held on by a nut over a body stud, forward right-center after the spare is removed.

Thanks I will look at that when I get a chance. The picture won’t show you much.

Mrmerlin 04-10-2019 06:42 PM

well said another way are the bumpers pushed in?
do the quarters have buckles in them?
did the spare tire get crushed?
Is the fuel tank crushed?
Did you inspect the fuel pump?
the more info you provide the more accurate the answer will be.

FREAKINHEAT 04-10-2019 07:17 PM

Thanks Mr Merlin. Here what I got.

Bumpers are not pushed in
Quarters have no buckles in them.
I didn't have spare in there so no crush
Fuel tank not crushed either. Battery box not damaged. Battery was disconnected when it occurred.
Did not Inspect fuel pump? Would that prevent a no turn over?
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...53ee2fd98a.jpg
I believe this is the ground which seems fine.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...c55f253f0d.jpg
Does this relay under cover control ignition could this have been damaged?

Vehicle is a 91.

polecat702 04-10-2019 07:52 PM

Isn't there a roll over relay that shuts off the fuel pump? If there is could the car have been hit hard enough to trip the relay?

When I was rear ended in my 87, I was at a stop light and hit by a Suburban doing 50, and my car never shut off, till I shut it off in a parking lot to exchange info, started right up too.

Speedtoys 04-10-2019 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by polecat702 (Post 15764950)
Isn't there a roll over relay that shuts off the fuel pump? If there is could the car have been hit hard enough to trip the relay?

When I was rear ended in my 87, I was at a stop light and hit by a Suburban doing 50, and my car never shut off, till I shut it off in a parking lot to exchange info, started right up too.

I dont believe so, no.

Im betting the NSS is wacky now.

Mine is, unless the car is warm I cant start unless in N.

Mrmerlin 04-10-2019 08:06 PM

OK try this.
First clean both battery terminals and and wires connected to them.

NOTE make sure the trans is in park or neutral if a 5 speed.
turn the key to run
pull the 14 pin connector apart .
with the top half,
touch the pin thats closest to the front,
and closest to the right fender to the hot post,
this will crank the engine.
NOTE the engine will start in this procedure. then plug the 14 pin back together.
If this procedure cranks the engine then replace the starter relay. and try starting the engine with the key

FREAKINHEAT 04-10-2019 08:34 PM

Is there a relay that can be interchanged with the starter relay?

Thanks in advance everyone helping.

Mrmerlin 04-10-2019 10:06 PM

please follow these instructions,
your going to be testing the starter circuit.

NOTE by touching the 14 pin to the hot post it removes the ignition switch and starter relay from the circuit.
It is a 53 relay so the horn relay would work

SteveG 04-10-2019 10:43 PM

Battery was disconnected when it occurred.
From post #8: If the "it" in the quote means the impact,

Please explain.

FREAKINHEAT 04-11-2019 12:31 AM

Meaning the negative battery cable was disconnected when the accident occurred. No juice running through car.