Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   How much oil loss is normal for the track? (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1137410-how-much-oil-loss-is-normal-for-the-track.html)

Crumpler 04-06-2019 08:03 PM

How much oil loss is normal for the track?

First DE today with four 20 min sessions.
Lost 1/2 to 2/3 quart.
Does not burn oil on street.

I had had an instructor following who said he could see some, “not a lot “ of blue smoke on decelerations. She was running well.

Using RP 20-50 and exhaust is: stock headers, x pipe, no cats, twin borla where the intermediates used to be then pipe.
The breather system is stock, but does have the GB baffle on the filler neck.

I have another four sessions tomorrow and I just want to make sure this is not a red flag, thanks you guys.

Truth be told, I’m pretty tired.
I can probably check a few plugs but I don’t think I have a compression test in me tonight.

Speedtoys 04-06-2019 08:06 PM

Bout right...just getting sucked into the intake.

Nothing to worry about.

Check oil between sessions..oil is a coolant, less oil is hotter oil. Wanna avoid that.

Crumpler 04-06-2019 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Speedtoys (Post 15755864)
Bout right...just getting sucked into the intake.

Nothing to worry about.

Check oil between sessions..oil is a coolant, less oil is hotter oil. Wanna avoid that.

Thanks Man.
That’s good to hear.
I was also doing a long banked turn in third at higher revs until I figured it out, that probably didn’t help either.

The Forgotten On 04-07-2019 12:56 AM

Oil also loves to collect in the side boxes of the 85-86 intake system as well. Banked turns will cause that oil to get sucked into the engine pretty quickly.

Your oil consumption sounds normal for high rpm operation.

Crumpler 04-07-2019 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by The Forgotten On (Post 15756310)
Oil also loves to collect in the side boxes of the 85-86 intake system as well. Banked turns will cause that oil to get sucked into the engine pretty quickly.

Your oil consumption sounds normal for high rpm operation.

Good deal, at least the part about it being within normal for the oil management.

I was also surprised how more more gas you go through. A lot of things you (me) don’t think about until you are out there, different environment says the 49 year old rookie.

Crumpler 04-07-2019 10:58 PM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...504972a92.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...41cc26098.jpeg

Second day was good.
Higher (real) speed in and out and less oil consumption today. I have not looked in the intake boxes yet but I will post when I do.

The 928 got a lot of love in the paddock, but man, I felt like I was swimming against the tide at times. I’d get in a good rhythm for a few laps and still have the new cayman S, TTRS, 991 C4S, E63, or my Hellcat nemesis coming up on me.

The second pic shows her in the group four cheap seats.

SteveG 04-08-2019 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Crumpler (Post 15755978)
Thanks Man.
That’s good to hear.
I was also doing a long banked turn in third at higher revs until I figured it out, that probably didn’t help either.

Banked which way? Makes a difference to the 6 cyl. Disclaimer, I haven't raced since Go-Karts many years ago, but there is evidence of oil starvation on the six rods during sweepers.

linderpat 04-08-2019 11:34 AM

Yes, tracking adds very different characteristics to the car from street driving, even if you are doing spirited street driving, it is no where near the same. Also, you should be tired after a full day of track sessions. Some may argue that track is better then sex. I won't go that far, but I can say it is about just as good:icon107: Also, you will find that there are always cars that are faster than yours, and drivers that are better than you. A really good driver can take a lesser car and whoop your ass, and an inexperienced driver can be lost in a much faster/newer/better track car. The 928 will never be one of the better track performers in its stock configuration, as compared to other cars. But at the more casual levels, it is just fine for the occasional track day.
I agree with the above on the oil consumption in your car under track conditions. Also, gas consumption is normal too - you will use a lot more fuel than you'd expect. I am happy to see a shark being used for track. Be careful though, DE's are a black hole - you can get addicted, then as you get better, it gets more expensive (wheels, tires, brakes, and so forth)

KenRudd 04-08-2019 12:03 PM

Your consumption levels are fine. Keep driving.

928S MN 04-08-2019 02:34 PM

" I’d get in a good rhythm for a few laps and still have the new cayman S, TTRS, 991 C4S, E63, or my Hellcat nemesis coming up on me. "

You got a Porken Chip set in that thing??

Wisconsin Joe 04-08-2019 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Crumpler
The 928 got a lot of love in the paddock, but man, I felt like I was swimming against the tide at times. I’d get in a good rhythm for a few laps and still have the new cayman S, TTRS, 991 C4S, E63, or my Hellcat nemesis coming up on me.

The second pic shows her in the group four cheap seats.

Meh. It was your first weekend.

At this point, your only 'nemesis' should be the clock.

Besides, that thing is 30 years old. Name another car that old that can even come close. And isn't 6 figures to buy.

...Some may argue that track is better then sex. I won't go that far, but I can say it is about just as good...
I've seen 'more than a few' first time skydivers come down and say that.

Their husbands/boyfriends usually aren't too happy at that.
They get less happy when the experienced jumpers say "well, it's pretty cool, but if you think it's better than sex, you might not be doing the sex thing quite right."

GregBBRD 04-08-2019 03:33 PM

The problem with oil consumption on the track is that the oil ends up in the intake system.

Oil in the intake system goes immediately into the combustion chamber (blue smoke) and reduces the effective octane of the fuel. This will increase the loads on the extremely soft stock Porsche rod bearings and may pound the bearings until they loose their "crush" inside the rod. If this occurs, complete engine failure occurs quickly.

Increasing the amount of ignition timing (aftermarket chips) combined with the reduced octane increases the pounding of the bearings.

Many 928 engines, used on the track, have failed from this issue.

Speedtoys 04-08-2019 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe (Post 15759313)
At this point, your only 'nemesis' should be the clock.

A healthier approach might be, your only weakness is what you don't know.

Don't try to beat anything, or over extend what you DO know.

I've watched 10s of 1000s of people attend track days, and the only ones that hurt their cars are the ones that "planned to" but not planning to only exercise the strengths and weaknesses that they were already aware of. What you dont know will hurt you.

Done right, you'll learn those things in _small_ pieces..a tire or two off here and there, and not a screaming exit from a turn with more energy than physics will allow safely. Those are the people to go out and bite off to much, for time, for honor, wo’ batlhvaD!

Learn you, not the car..its a time driven process, and a fun one!

SwayBar 04-08-2019 04:04 PM

For another data point, our 928's at Road America get about 5 mpg.

HenryPcar 04-08-2019 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Crumpler (Post 15755862)
She was running well.

How come we always refer to our car (she) instead of (he), or the garage queen instead of king. Although I would die to have the "Queen of Nurburgring" give me a ride in the "Ring". :>)