Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   "lights on" beeping wont stop (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1136720-lights-on-beeping-wont-stop.html)

sj_hendrikx 04-02-2019 03:42 PM

"lights on" beeping wont stop

Hi,
today when I drove home from my mechanic, suddenly the beeping "lights on" started… No Idea why.

when I pulled over, and dimmed the lights the beeping persisted.. only with the ignition key out it stopped… could it be something else?
Open trunk maybe?

gr sev

dr bob 04-02-2019 03:53 PM

What Year Is Your Car?

Plan on typing in the year of your car into every post. Without that, we are firing pretty blind at possible solutions.

What year is your car?

sj_hendrikx 04-02-2019 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by dr bob (Post 15746218)
Plan on typing in the year of your car into every post. Without that, we are firing pretty blind at possible solutions.

What year is your car?

sorry: 1985 S3

76FJ55 04-02-2019 04:57 PM

Check all your fuses. I can't remember the specifics, but I had a similar issue with my 85 years ago when I blew a seemingly unrelated fuse (IIRC interior lights or instrument lights fuse)

checkmate1996 04-05-2019 12:02 PM

Yeah check your trunk - If you have a worn trunk receiver liner, the hatch could have released enough to cause it to be open...

soontobered84 04-05-2019 02:19 PM

Did you cancel your turn signal when you turned your key off? Parking feature alerts you that the turn signal is still on and that the lights will still be on (constant light-no blinking-the side the turn signal is on)

sj_hendrikx 04-07-2019 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by checkmate1996 (Post 15753003)
Yeah check your trunk - If you have a worn trunk receiver liner, the hatch could have released enough to cause it to be open...

what should i look for? is it somewhere in the lock itself?

Simon928 04-08-2019 11:35 AM

I'm not sure if this is what you are experiencing but a few years ago I had the "chime" going off as well when I was driving in my 84. If I remember correctly I pulled a relay that is located under the centre console and the chime stopped. The relay itself wasn't the source of the problem but it at least stopped the noise until I could solve the underlying wiring issue. The relay was taller than normal and had a bunch of circular vent holes on the top.

76FJ55 04-08-2019 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by sj_hendrikx (Post 15746183)
Hi,
today when I drove home from my mechanic, suddenly the beeping "lights on" started… No Idea why.

when I pulled over, and dimmed the lights the beeping persisted.. only with the ignition key out it stopped… could it be something else?
Open trunk maybe?

gr sev

Maybe we need some clarification on the problem.

Were the headlights on when the problem started?

You say you dimmed the lights? Do you mean you switched from high to low beam on the headlight, or did you dim the dash lights using the rheostat under the pod?...

You said it stopped with the key out? Could it be the key in the ignition warning instead of the light on warning?

sj_hendrikx 04-09-2019 04:03 PM

I checked again and it seemed that the trunk didnt close properly. Now it is closed the noise is gone.

strange that the beeping occurs when doors or trunk is open witch key in ignition…. and turn signals without the key in. But at least nothing was wrong..

Wisconsin Joe 04-09-2019 08:45 PM

Well, it's telling you that you are getting out of the car (door open) without taking the keys out. Hatch & doors both activate the interior lights.

The 'turn signal without key in' is telling you that the 'one sided parking lights' are on.

Porsche does the 'European parking light' deal where you can have the markers on one side lit up for street parking. Just flip the turn signal towards the street side of the car and those lights will be lit.
My Cayenne does it too. I can pull into my mom's apartment parking lot and into the spot without 'unturning' the wheel enough to cancel the signal. So it will let me know.