Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   HELP! A few ?"s ...and did I mess something up? (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1136477-help-a-few-s-and-did-i-mess-something-up.html)

crushingday 04-01-2019 03:09 AM

HELP! A few ?"s ...and did I mess something up?

I have a 1978 Porsche 928 that I purchased new in the summer of that same year. I am a real stickler for keeping it ALL original. I have gone so far as to have the factory air in the tires drawn down into a holding tank and later put into my next set of tires. I am so anal about originality that I am still using whatever oil came in the car from the factory, never changed it! 10w30 I think?

Anyway, long story short. I decided to do some cleaning and maintenance to the car and I am afraid I may have caused damage.

I heard that where the air goes into the carburetors can get dirty and that sand blasting the them can do a good job at freshening them up. Not wanting to disassemble anything, (I'm not mechanically inclined at all), I removed the air filter and had a friend rev the engine while I slowly fed fine pool filter sand into the intake. All seemed good for a while as the V8 vacuumed in the cleaning agent. Then without any warning what-so-ever, the engine groaned to a stop and made a large popping or backfire type of sound! What the hell! I tried to restart the engine, but no dice!!

I figured I would let the engine rest for a bit (it was smoking rather substantially at this point) and move on to working on the cosmetics. Anyway, after giving the 'ol girl a good washing with some "Spic n Span" I got one of those right angled spinny drill things and some 220 grit sanding disks and began to gently buff the hood. Man!, Lemme tell 'ya, It wasn't easy cause this drill thingy was jumping and skipping around the hood somethin' awful! At one point it flew out of my hands ricocheted of the windshield and wheeled itself down my gravel driveway only coming to a stop upon reaching the end of the extension cord and unplugging itself. Not to be deterred, I fetched this Godforsaken she-devil of a spinning top, held it real tight and applied pressure to buff the hood. I had this thing in check for bit then suddenly it started turning my white paint to a grayish silver color. Heavens to Betsy, What is going on here!

gazfish 04-01-2019 04:16 AM

Happy April 1st everyone.

beran earms 04-01-2019 07:40 AM

Original air.....Nice!

Christopher Zach 04-01-2019 08:22 AM

The sand problem is pretty easy to fix: You need to replace the water/ethylene glycol solution in your radiator with a 50/50 mix of chlorinated pool cleaner and water. That should shock your car's engine and get everything right back on track. Be sure to replace your oil with ammonia as well to clean out any residue.

Do not however then fill your automatic transmission case with bleach, mixing the two is a bad idea.

C

linderpat 04-01-2019 08:42 AM

:rockon:And here I thought it was the rock star drugs talking! Nice one Ross!

Hymodyne 04-01-2019 09:08 AM

Ross- I started reading, my jaw dropped, and then...Oh, April 1st...

Nice. :roflmao:

James

BTW, when is the band back in OC?

drooman 04-01-2019 10:05 AM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...d49855b975.png

NelaK 04-01-2019 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by drooman (Post 15742821)

For a 40+ year old car with a questionable service history and undesirable color combination? I'll give you $1000 and you'll pay for shipping. :p

Ghosteh 04-01-2019 02:40 PM

Don't worry if you lose some of that factory air. I was lucky enough to score some from a dealer years ago. Although it's no longer in the original bulk container, I can assure you that this is the right stuff for both U.S. and RoW cars, and had the correct date code for your '78. I believe you could also use this with '79-82 cars also with only slight modifications. It won't be cheap, but where else are you going to find original Stuttgart air from 1978?

Willing to trade for other rare NOS parts. What do you have?

crushingday 04-01-2019 02:49 PM

Stan says I need to power wash the undercarriage with a garden hose and the fill the crank case with DeOxit 100 and drive for a few hundred miles. Then I am gonna get an alignment at Jiffy Lube.

crushingday 04-09-2019 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Hymodyne (Post 15742735)
Ross- I started reading, my jaw dropped, and then...Oh, April 1st...

Nice. :roflmao:

James

BTW, when is the band back in OC?

Hey James, We are back at Fagers Island on May 10th. Lemme know if you can join us :)