Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   What Should I Repair While The Door Panels Are Off? (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1136019-what-should-i-repair-while-the-door-panels-are-off.html)

Ed Petry 03-29-2019 08:33 AM

What Should I Repair While The Door Panels Are Off?

Hi everyone,

Hopefully you are driving your P-cars by now.

I have both arm rests and door panels off the vehicle to refirb them (repair dings and broken areas, repair the fiberboard backing and re-glue the coverings). What other areas should I plan on looking at, repairing or replacing before I reinstall everything?

Items I have read about on this board to repair/replace include:

repairing the armrests (my plan is to cannibalize other armrest for the needed plastic and rebuild mine with MEK. May end up with the 928INTL braces.)
replacing the rollers for the power windows,
cleaning and lubing everything I can see and
general looking around for anything worn or broken.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Kevin in Atlanta 03-29-2019 09:58 AM

The two plastic window guides and outer window seal come to mind. Replace the felt guides.

Wisconsin Joe 03-29-2019 10:06 AM

Does the window wiggle when it's partway down?
Window guides.

Does it go up and down well?
Clean & lube gearbox.

Does the lock work well? Does the alarm switch work properly (arm & disarm)?
Now is a good time.

Make sure you reinstall the vapor barrier. Or install one if it wasn't there. It makes a huge difference.

Geza 03-29-2019 10:36 AM

If needed, door stays. Red lights working?

StratfordShark 03-29-2019 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Geza (Post 15737008)
If needed, door stays. Red lights working?

+1. Do the doors hold in 3 distinctive positions?

Christopher Zach 03-29-2019 11:19 AM

Take the window lift motor off, open it up (two screws) and clean it out inside. Pull off the brush carrier and remove the armature. While there put some oil in the top section with the gears, put some grease on each end of the shaft, and clean up the commutator brushes with some fine sandpaper (just get the black crap off). Re-assemble and try it out. It should zip up and down; drag on the armature shaft really slows everything down (and can gall the bearings).

C

checkmate1996 04-05-2019 12:17 PM

Ed - Stop over and see my door panels -- I just did the door brace upgrade from 928 intl...for the price - it's best way to go...

Ed Petry 04-05-2019 05:49 PM

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the replies. Appreciate the ideas.

Randy V 04-06-2019 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin in Atlanta (Post 15736907)
The two plastic window guides and outer window seal come to mind. Replace the felt guides.

This!

Pitt Pirrotte 06-18-2019 06:10 AM

Hi everybody. I am new to this forum and own a 1989 S4 german model. My loudspeakers are all "broken" - the rubber part has worn out and is crumbling away and i need to replace most of them. How are they getting removed. Do i need to remove the door panels or does the cover go off and then i can change them . I ask befor i force something and cause damage. Thanks fo any input. Pitt from Luxembourg (Europe)

Randy V 06-22-2019 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Pitt Pirrotte (Post 15914968)
Hi everybody. I am new to this forum and own a 1989 S4 german model. My loudspeakers are all "broken" - the rubber part has worn out and is crumbling away and i need to replace most of them. How are they getting removed. Do i need to remove the door panels or does the cover go off and then i can change them . I ask befor i force something and cause damage. Thanks fo any input. Pitt from Luxembourg (Europe)

Start a new thread, introducing yourself with pics of your car.

THEN ask for help with your issue!

jpitman2 06-22-2019 03:41 AM

I did the steel brace repair years ago (originally made here in Oz by Peter Clarke) and it saved the door cards! Also check the rubber at the base of the window pillar is OK - mine crumbled and died, and this can allow the pillar to wobble and rattle.
Beware the nylon window guide parts - I have a brand new one with a moulded in left side part no, but its actually a right side part.
jp 83 Euro S AT.