Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   928 rims (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1134654-928-rims.html)

Dylan_928 03-20-2019 07:50 PM

928 rims
 
I have a 1980 928 and i am looking to get new rims. Could someone tell me what the bigges size rim i could get? Im looking into some 18 turbo twists. Thought please

vanster 03-20-2019 08:57 PM

The cars are really best on 17".

Randy V 03-20-2019 08:59 PM

They are 'wheels', not 'rims'!

18" Carrera staggered lightweights.

They are the cat's pajamas!

:p

Read this thread!

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...gimme-pix.html

SwayBar 03-20-2019 09:23 PM


Originally Posted by vanster (Post 15717533)
The cars are really best on 17".

Do not agree at all.

Dylan_928 03-21-2019 12:00 AM


Originally Posted by Randy V (Post 15717543)
They are 'wheels', not 'rims'!

18" Carrera staggered lightweights.

They are the cat's pajamas!

:p

Read this thread!

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...gimme-pix.html

technically they are rims because the rim is the outer part of the wheel which is in the shape of a circle and the diameter is the distance across a circle and i wanted to know what size diameter rims i would be able to use. So my question stands... thanks for the advice

Hacker-Pschorr 03-21-2019 10:52 AM


Originally Posted by Dylan_928 (Post 15717380)
Could someone tell me what the bigges size rim i could get?

The outside diameter of the stock wheel / rim / tire profile is 25". The largest inner diameter tire that can realistically maintain an outside 25" profile is a 19" tire. You'd have to find something in a 255/25-20 in order to fit 20's on a 928, such a tire doesn't really exist, or at lest not with any kind of a tire you'd want on a 928.

The thread Randy linked to is a good place to start. This is mostly personal preference & finding something that will fit your taste and the 928 suspension.

Try this thread too:
https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...l-offsets.html

kos_007 03-21-2019 11:11 AM

What's next ?
 
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...557b579bcb.jpg

vanster 03-21-2019 03:04 PM

The question is....are you going for function and what the car performs with best or what you think looks best?

Petza914 03-21-2019 03:51 PM

I like 18s. Modernize the look a bit but still perform well. I've seen 19s and haven't found a 928 on any kind of 19s that wouldn't have looked better on the same wheel in an 18.

Carrera LWs have a 911 offset of low 50s in the front (I believe) and are not a good fit on the 928. Those were on my car when I bought it and after catching a fender lip in a higher speed turn with a mid-corner bump sold them the next week. Carrera IIIs are the ones you want with a similar look but better offset. 18" Panamera wheels also look good and are a good fit.

Here's mine on 18s. 17s weren't an option for me because of the GTS big black front brakes.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...daf6a53fc9.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...70c2cfe6ae.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...013ee9fef4.jpg

IDriveOldCars 03-21-2019 05:17 PM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...60e3f309a2.jpg
I like 18s. This is a recent BBS set. If I did this setup again, I'd do 18s in the back, as shown, and 17s in the front. You can't really use the fitment tool on the Tire Rack website with a 928. You need to do some research across Porsche platforms to find the wheels that will fit. These are 18x10 et41 rear and 18x8 et50 front

Randy V 03-21-2019 05:31 PM


Originally Posted by Dylan_928 (Post 15717923)

technically they are rims because the rim is the outer part of the wheel which is in the shape of a circle and the diameter is the distance across a circle and i wanted to know what size diameter rims i would be able to use. So my question stands... thanks for the advice

We got a live one.

There is more to selecting a wheel than the size of the rim, grasshopper.

Googlez 'offset'.

Mark Anderson 03-21-2019 05:42 PM

Rims
 

hlee96 03-21-2019 05:47 PM

I actually like these rims alot, but I already have a BaT member (a fellow 928 seller, whom I will not mention here :icon501:) already dissing these on Jake's old car!
Are these 17" or 18"?
The ones on mine are 18".

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...a49684ab25.jpg



Originally Posted by Mark Anderson (Post 15719522)


Randy V 03-21-2019 05:52 PM

Wheel choice is completely subjective. Install what you like - as long as they are the correct OFFSET!

:p

Mark Anderson 03-21-2019 06:06 PM


Originally Posted by hlee96 (Post 15719531)
I actually like these rims alot, but I already have a BaT member (a fellow 928 seller, whom I will not mention here :icon501:) already dissing these on Jake's old car!
Are these 17" or 18"?
The ones on mine are 18".

Crap about non original wheels on a highly modified car? If only they could be easily changed ;)



All times are GMT -3. The time now is 02:26 PM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands