Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Leak at Fuel Pump (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1133307-leak-at-fuel-pump.html)

mike77 03-12-2019 08:11 AM

Leak at Fuel Pump

My 1990 S4 has a leak at the fuel pump. I changed out the copper washers but the fix only lasted a short time. I'm going back in and will change the check valve and fuel lines this time around. I have one question regarding the line going into the pump.

On the illustration part 4 "fuel hose" has two options

928 356 550 04
928 356 550 05 -88

So for my 1990 I think I need the part ending 04, however it strikes me as odd that the lower part number appears to be associated with the later part. Is the remark here wrong, should it be 88- ?

Cheers,
Mike

SeanR 03-12-2019 11:04 AM

Smart move is to replace the strainer and the seal for it at the same time. As for the part number, contact Roger@928sRus.com and he will fix you up with the proper one.

mike77 03-12-2019 11:50 AM

I would but im not sure it's practical for these kind of parts as i live in the UK. IlI' get hit with import tax. I've asked the Porsche center if they can clarify.

The in tank fuel filter appears to only go up to 88 and according to the parts catalogue is for cars without the in tank fuel pump which appears to have two part numbers with no notes but not for model M460.

FredR 03-12-2019 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by mike77 (Post 15698248)
I would but im not sure it's practical for these kind of parts as i live in the UK. IlI' get hit with import tax. I've asked the Porsche center if they can clarify.

The in tank fuel filter appears to only go up to 88 and according to the parts catalogue is for cars without the in tank fuel pump which appears to have two part numbers with no notes but not for model M460.

Mike,

The in tank pump has a built in strainer. Some early S4's did not have the in tank pump so they had to install a strainer to protect the main pump and did so with an in tank item.

If you have any doubts about what part to order just send a mail to Roger- being a fellow Brit he understands the dilemma faced by UK owners in that by the time shipping, import duty and VAT are slapped on the bill more often than not it makes the price paid not worth the effort of importing. Being the fine gent he is I am sure he would not mind guiding you as to what you need even if there is no business in it for him.

Just wish him happy birthday!

mike77 03-20-2019 05:20 AM

The parts guy at my local Porsche center sent my vin number to Porsche Parts Technical to confirm which parts are correct.

My car has the in-tank fuel pump. Price from Porsche is £692.28 ($916). As such I don't think i will be changing this part while I'm at it.

mike77 03-20-2019 05:26 AM

Just to add I've had a few dealings with Roger in the past and he's always been great. If i lived out in the US i wouldn't hesitate to make him my first port of call for parts.